How many Crashes?

John Q. Drummer

I can easily do what I need to do with 2 crashes. (Usually a 17” and an 18”) Sometimes I’ll set up three if I have enough space and energy to do so, even though I’ll probably only hit that 3rd crash about 6 times all night long.

drumnut87

Silver Member
Ray Luzier fan?
aye! :) though i actually started experimenting with my chinas in that position before i knew who ray was, but when i did see his setup i thought that it makes sense for me comfort wise, and also looks cool! :D

fobz

I bought it from a UK drum shop for £50... Cleaned up the heavy patina it came with, and it struck me as very clear and Paiste-like. It wasn't thin (which only added to its versatility as a crash ride), and it's a slight bend at the edge, which makes me wonder about its alloy composition (looks slightly brighter than B20, but isn't B20 brittle?)
Interesting. Mine has very heavy patina (which I've left on), but sounds closer to B8 than B20 (I seem to remember reading somewhere that Amati used something in between?). Clear is definitely the word I'd use for my ride as well...

timmdrum

Silver Member

Iristone

Interesting. Mine has very heavy patina (which I've left on), but sounds closer to B8 than B20 (I seem to remember reading somewhere that Amati used something in between?). Clear is definitely the word I'd use for my ride as well...
I've read about it being brass... I wonder if it's lost in translation from Czech, since there's no brass cymbal that looks like, or sounds as good as, it.

I use two crash cymbals. A 16 inch and a 18 inch and I use since a while a 12 inch splash, wich is, in my opinion, a very nice addition. Al my cymbals are Istanbul Agop Xist Natural.

Neal Pert

Yamaha Paiste Rig.jpg

This, or something like it, is my "normal" rig for backbeat music--
Paiste Masters:
20" Medium Ride
20" Dark Crash
18" Dark Crash
22" Swish
14" Dark Hi Hats

I'll sometimes add a 10" PSTX Swiss splash and an 8" Signature Splash flipped over and mounted over my crash cymbals.

But if I need louder and brighter, I switch to 602 Modern Essentials but keep the Swish:
22" Ride
20" Crash
18" Crash
14" Hi Hats

Either way, really everything is crashable, even the hi hats and the Swish usually functions as a crash in this context. So, either two or four crashes, I guess.

JDFaulky

Do trash crashes count? If so, I have three on my kit. Two Zildjian K Sweet crashes (16" and 19") and a Zildjian K EFX 18" trash crash in the center of those.

GretschedHive

Gold Member
I'm interested in not just how many people typically play, but where they put their effects-type crashes, if they have them—for some reason, I always have mine off to the right, even as the size and style vary. Not sure why this feels more set in stone to me than whether the bigger crash goes on the left or right and didn't even realize I had this strong a feeling.

graysonator

None at the moment, I like to use light rides as crashes. I love their deep tone and I'm a left handed player so when a pattern is too fast for my right, I swap to my left side crash/ride! :) However I might be picking up a 20" crash in the near future that is more live, 'cause my riveted crash/ride is very dry so I would need something to contrast with that. I do have my Dream Bliss on my right side which is SOO trashy I love it.