How many Crashes?

If I'm playing the bare minimum, it's none. The 22" K Con Renaissance does the lot.

If I'm playing my usual set up it's 2, 19" & 20" K Thin Dark

None but I've had some close calls-well one I did bash in the side of my car when I sailed off the road and hit a ditch but I kept going so it don't count. Wait a minute a deer ran into my car and totaled it-so one crash-but it was the deer not me. LOL

I've whittled down my cymbals to one ride that I crash and hats, but I have a 14 in paper thin Zildjian that I like if the need be. I've given most crashes I had away. It's interesting more and more it's becoming less and less with my kit-less toms, less cymbals, I generally don't like one dimensional cymbals so no chinas or special effects cymbals-although I still have a splash I like but don't use it.

What was Ringo’s setup? Two crashes, no ride?

mom says I can't go outside and play with the other kids unless I bring 2

What was Ringo’s setup? Two crashes, no ride?
I'd wager those were -Light Ride/old style builds the older medium thin rides; he crash-wash played. (when he did crash-wash
worked up into a wash. More ride-specific than crash-specific cymbal

Last edited:
Sometimes 2, sometimes 1. Depends on the gig.

(I used to own 11, but sold a few - now it’s back to 8)

Reactions: I-P
I have always been a cymbal whore to an extent. I have done large setups and small ones based on need, space, etc.

My current home studio setup includes 2 main crashes (17" and 20") and 3 splashes, (6",10" and 12") to go with my ride and hats.

In more aggressive rock setups (think GnR, etc.) I have done 2 crashes to my left and 2 to my right going 17,18 19, 16.......yes I had a lot of "stuff" going on.....

I have two, but lots of times I may not bring them - opting to just use my 17” hats and 24” Thin ride by themselves. But I may bring one since the 24” pitch is a little lower than my previous 22” light ride. Or I may just get a new 22” Light Ride in the form of a Paiste Traditionals….
Will you trust me on this Bo. I'm reading your post and paying no attention to who posted it. I get to the 17" hats and think it sounds like Bo. I look up and am thinking I gotta let him know. 17's Just scream the name Bo in these hills. 😃.

Ooh, curious about your Amati! I've got an ancient, battered ride of theirs which is simply the purest, clearest ride I've ever heard. Bought it off a rehearsal studio where I found it in a corner, for £30...
I bought it from a UK drum shop for £50... Cleaned up the heavy patina it came with, and it struck me as very clear and Paiste-like. It wasn't thin (which only added to its versatility as a crash ride), and it's a slight bend at the edge, which makes me wonder about its alloy composition (looks slightly brighter than B20, but isn't B20 brittle?)

Will you trust me on this Bo. I'm reading your post and paying no attention to who posted it. I get to the 17" hats and think it sounds like Bo. I look up and am thinking I gotta let him know. 17's Just scream the name Bo in these hills. 😃.
Totally. He also inspired me to try 17” hats as well. But I don’t have any, so I subbed out two 20”s. Have to admit I was digging it in some aspects. Might have to revisit it later.

Back