How has the internet changed drumming?

dmacc_2

Among other things, it's changed the perception of learning the instrument from those first considering giving it a try.

Trigger

It's made everyone much better players, but much worse in bands. So many new drummers out there are overplaying so much and it just ruins the song. Like listen to night verses. Absolutely amazing drumming, but only the nerdiest of music nerds will like it because it's so complex.

TK-421

Back when I started playing, no matter what instrument it was, the reason why we played was to be in a band. That to me seems to be one of the biggest changes brought about by the interwebs, because these days it seems like most younger drummers only desire to make drum covers they can splash all over YouTube. Or “instructional” videos by those who don’t really know enough to instruct others.

If online video sharing platforms all of a sudden disappeared, I wonder how many of these drummers would just quit playing?

Justinhub2003

in My PERSONAL opinion, I think anyone who thinks the internet has been bad for drums is just off their rocker.

I wish the internet was as developed as it is now when I first started playing. The ability to download drumless tracks, get free lessons or just watch the actual drummer play along to his track live via YouTube is insanely great!

Not to mention I personally would never know of great drummers like Jojo Mayer, Benny Greb & Carter McLean. I discovered those players exclusively from the internet.

I think new Young drummers now have it made in todays world. They have access to so many resources to be a better drummer.

SharkSandwich

I used to have a bunch of instructional VHS videos from Dave Weckl, Greg Bissonette, Dennis Chambers and more and I paid like $30 for each of them!
Now I can just go to tube.

Also, if I'm not sure of a drum part, I can always find someone playing it on the internet.

Overall, the internet has made access to knowledge...if any kind...a LOT easier.

SVBJECT

So firstly let me state, categorically, that I believe the internet to be the single worst invention of humanity, and I think we'll all come to either see that or be so absorbed by the whole thing that we're unable to see it.
Don't get me wrong, I love the internet, we all know the benefits, and before the main argument, a quick statement that I mean no one or group in particular throughout this, just big crowds are stupider than individuals, that's a psychological fact. And the more "one crowd" we all become, the stupider we act on mass.

I think the internet breeds a mediocrity of populace, wherein taking in information is passive and subconscious allowing all kinds of unfiltered agendas, propogandas and ads, but equally importantly, it doesn't excessive the brain leaving the brain weaker and unable to defend itself. It gives the feeling of achievement with minimal actual achievement.

It was a tool, created for all the right reasons and noble goals of globilisation, but I don't think humanity can really handle it without all being a little more aware of things beyond our immediate surroundings. But alas, the internet, which is increasingly in our immediate surrounds is so shiney and pretty 😇 it's now no longer a tool. Alcohol was a tool once, used for cleansing water. When we could distill it, we used it for medicine. This fact doesn't help an alcoholic.

It reminds me of reading Plato, and he argued philosophers should rule, in the place of what they had - an auditorium wherein the loudest, or most persuasive orator would win. He also sited art was a copy of a the real world and the real world was a copy of the perfect world of things...sorta, in a nutshell. Not saying I agree with him, but I find the future increasingly reminiscent of this in that the whim of the [online] peoples being swayed by whoever can draw the most attention in a world that is just a copy of something else. It's disgusting, and scary.

To relate that to drumming, it's practically pointless me dreaming of being a well known drummer without being good on social media, ie, its no longer and drumming skills contest, so much as a drumming and another totally irrelevant thing, contest. But it's full of amazing resources too, like this forum which I've learnt from and been inspired in drumming and in life from.

But I really miss the more privacy oriented 90's, and politically un-correct comedy.... People get too easily offended by everything, and even worse, on the behalf of others. But that is another topic alltogether...
And this is another of my main concerns. Yes I look back at my childhood in the 90s and I do miss some aspects, but you've nailed it on the next one. Being offended on behalf of others. It is the most ridiculous thing ever! There's someone who will find anything offensive. Should I stop playing violent video games because they'd offend my parents? Should I tell my wife off for not wearing a shawl because someone from half a dozen religions might take offence? Clearly I won't, so we have to pick and choose who we take the side of, which ultimately means we're saying "I don't like what you're doing, and see that person over there? They agree with me too, so stop" except the internet encourages people to join in, or exaggerate how offended they were to demonstrate something about themselves to bystanders.
But the issue isn't about looking back, it's about looking forward, about where we will be in time to come, and if I think in 25 years I've seen all these changes, what's next?
I was bullied pretty bad as a poor, fat, long haired nerdy kid in the 70's....and it was the BEST learning experience I ever had about becoming aware, proactive, self sufficient, and independent. I also learned to realize that the fat, long haired, nerdy part was on me, and to make light of it...AND not to blame it all on other reasons <---- I made the decision to over eat; I made the decision to grow my hair out; I made the decision to not live in the mainstream world;
This, very much so. I had a terrible time at school. But it made me who I am very much so. And most of the things were my choices, although maybe not consciously in all cases, but I wanted long hair. I actually cut off 20 year old dreads a couple of year ago, that hadn't been cut since I was 12. I mean. in hindsight I was that kid, no wonder I had a hard time.
I feel like whilst the internet seems to be lorded for allowing people to be themselves online, this in turn means everything is on record. Mistakes have become more devastating. So if you were a bully in a moment or during a time, there's no moving away from it. One of the most touching moments in my life was when a bully from my school pulled up and got out the car to buy me a coffee and apologize to my face a few years later, and he deserves the fresh start it sounded like he found. The internet becomes its own internal social monitoring network, too reminiscent of a volunteer informant like neighbours would do during Stalinism or the Third Reich.

Back when I started playing, no matter what instrument it was, the reason why we played was to be in a band. That to me seems to be one of the biggest changes brought about by the interwebs, because these days it seems like most younger drummers only desire to make drum covers they can splash all over YouTube. Or “instructional” videos by those who don’t really know enough to instruct others.

If online video sharing platforms all of a sudden disappeared, I wonder how many of these drummers would just quit playing?

Hahaha, this is very true. The would-be musicians get their kicks in front of a webcam, not on stage, again lowering high goals. Covid has made this worse, but an online popularity contest isn't the way to find any meaning in anything. It's a breeding ground for mediocrity which in turn fuels the growing divide in wealth.

The internet only helps if you know what you are looking for, but unfortunately most of the time, most people don't.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

So firstly let me state, categorically, that I believe the internet to be the single worst invention of humanity, and I think we'll all come to either see that or be so absorbed by the whole thing that we're unable to see it.

word

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet, we all know the benefits, and before the main argument, a quick statement that I mean no one or group in particular throughout this, just big crowds are stupider than individuals, that's a psychological fact. And the more "one crowd" we all become, the stupider we act on mass.

word

I think the internet breeds a mediocrity of populace, wherein taking in information is passive and subconscious allowing all kinds of unfiltered agendas, propogandas and ads, but equally importantly, it doesn't excessive the brain leaving the brain weaker and unable to defend itself. It gives the feeling of achievement with minimal actual achievement.

It was a tool, created for all the right reasons and noble goals of globilisation, but I don't think humanity can really handle it without all being a little more aware of things beyond our immediate surroundings. But alas, the internet, which is increasingly in our immediate surrounds is so shiney and pretty 😇 it's now no longer a tool. Alcohol was a tool once, used for cleansing water. When we could distill it, we used it for medicine. This fact doesn't help an alcoholic.

Globalization, to me, is not a good thing. Globalization distills everything down to one large pot of grey matter. It is getting rid of individuality, cultural heritage, pride in difference. Humanity was not meant to all be one homogenous, incestuous group. That is unhealthy. Globalization seems to be the process of a few powerful people stripping down the rest of the populace to be inconsequential worker drones.

It reminds me of reading Plato, and he argued philosophers should rule, in the place of what they had - an auditorium wherein the loudest, or most persuasive orator would win. He also sited art was a copy of a the real world and the real world was a copy of the perfect world of things...sorta, in a nutshell. Not saying I agree with him, but I find the future increasingly reminiscent of this in that the whim of the [online] peoples being swayed by whoever can draw the most attention in a world that is just a copy of something else. It's disgusting, and scary.

To relate that to drumming, it's practically pointless me dreaming of being a well known drummer without being good on social media, ie, its no longer and drumming skills contest, so much as a drumming and another totally irrelevant thing, contest. But it's full of amazing resources too, like this forum which I've learnt from and been inspired in drumming and in life from.

And this is another of my main concerns. Yes I look back at my childhood in the 90s and I do miss some aspects, but you've nailed it on the next one. Being offended on behalf of others. It is the most ridiculous thing ever! ....

this is what I can't stand...and again, most people who I have encountered who are like this are only doing it for the attention....their actions don't reflect their words.

This, very much so. I had a terrible time at school. But it made me who I am very much so. And most of the things were my choices, although maybe not consciously in all cases, but I wanted long hair. I actually cut off 20 year old dreads a couple of year ago, that hadn't been cut since I was 12. I mean. in hindsight I was that kid, no wonder I had a hard time.

I never had any of the bulllies from school come up to apologize, but did have MANY come to shows later on in life, and try to glom on to the band drink tab or get in for free 😑

I feel like whilst the internet seems to be lorded for allowing people to be themselves online, this in turn means everything is on record. Mistakes have become more devastating. So if you were a bully in a moment or during a time, there's no moving away from it. One of the most touching moments in my life was when a bully from my school pulled up and got out the car to buy me a coffee and apologize to my face a few years later, and he deserves the fresh start it sounded like he found. The internet becomes its own internal social monitoring network, too reminiscent of a volunteer informant like neighbours would do during Stalinism or the Third Reich.

yep...the permanency of the internet has allowed the demise of forgiveness <----because it is more profitable now to not forgive in the form of lawsuits; ii has developed a guilty until proven innocent society now...again, mostly driven by the litigious profit that that allows for

and, the permenancy of the internet has also exposed idiocy for what it is too...it has brought to light a lot of negatives of our interactions with others, which, taken in the correct light, is beneficial to our advancement as people....

someguy01

a volunteer informant like neighbours would do during Stalinism or the Third Reich.
Or Texas.

The interwebs have exposed what everyone should have already known: Text does not convey inflection.
As a result, many an argument is born and then it gets out of hand really fast. I'd be inclined to bet 70% of online arguments are the result of the text not conveying the emotion behind the statement or being misinterpreted.