Holy Grail of the Drum World?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
My holy grail snares have always been the SOTA (State of The Art) Percussion segmented shells because they were only in production for several years in the mid 80's. They were only available in Rosewood, African Padauk and Walnut.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Maybe there is no Holy Grail that almost everyone wants? It's so funny that what one person wishes for is another person's "Meh."
Right. I have no desire for a 57 Fender Precision bass because of the fretboard being too round and because they’re heavy. But I do love the idea of the P bass, so I got a newer one tweaked to my liking and made by someone else. I also can’t stand Les Pauls because they’re so heavy. So while I get mass appeal and appreciate legendary vintage pieces, eh…

River19

This is why I figured I would throw it out there. After 40 years or so of playing the drums, I haven't heard anywhere near the specificity with regards to "holy grail drums/cymbals" vs. the universal acknowledgment of such items in the guitar world which drive prices of such items into the stratosphere.....add in provenance and you are talking crazy figures.

Trigger

Late 60's ludwig kits.
Horst link snares (even though they apparently sound like crap)
Maybe pre-split bosphorus cymbals? but thats pretty niche stuff.

1 hit wonder

People have hit on the point that the Graill is often a personal grail, but not an actual rarity as that of an actual Holy Grail item.
There can only be one. Wait....that line.

jda

Silver Member
I haven't heard anywhere near the specificity with regards to "holy grail drums/cymbals" vs. the universal acknowledgment of such items in the guitar world which drive prices of such items into the stratosphere
drummers are less so "prima donna's" maybe, : D
"if it ain't broke we'll make a sound with it" *
And it's true (in the guitar players defense) we are not dealing with chords and sharps
and 4- the monetization of musical instruments- as commodities rather than as a vocation- is a drag sometimes

*in the case of cymbals if it is broke we'll still make a sound with it ; )
some of the greatest was done with broken cyms (ha

Last edited:

s1212z

Silver Member
Gladstone drum kit, Slingerland black beauty, BOP jazz fest, Spizzichino copper kit (or any of his cymbals). Pristine Camcos or RBs or Jazzettes come to mind....70s Black Beauty would be nice to have as well.

Ransan

I love to find rare items that appeal to me, especially in drums.

My Luddie Vistalite is a rare kit in the finish coupled with its size. Not to say there’s not, but I’ve seen maybe one other Ruby Vista Power Factory or Octaplus configuration, that’s a rare item not Holy Grail.

When I hear Holy Grail in drum terms it often is accompanying Rogers Mardi Gras finish.

It’s not the end all be all, but it is considered a rare and coveted instrument. The fact that I also have the cocktail floor makes it that much more so.
BB87C6F2-5BE1-4C3B-8A12-6677D93D1F9A.jpeg548878F3-9334-4391-B963-D60DD7748772.jpeg

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
my personal Grail drum set would be Neil Peart's red Tamas that he used for Moving Pictures era playing.

Grail bass is Steve Harris' blue sparkle 72 P bass; what makes it more "Graily" is that it technically doesn't exist anymore, but still does..as his white bass with the Westham football logo on it...

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
My holy grail snares have always been the SOTA (State of The Art) Percussion segmented shells because they were only in production for several years in the mid 80's. They were only available in Rosewood, African Padauk and Walnut.
I received an alert for this this morning. Not mine btw.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I received an alert for this this morning. Not mine btw.
Thanks. Yeah, I saw that about a year ago. I contacted the seller of what he actually had on his hands when he first listed it on Reverb. He initially had it listed as a Ludwig snare if I remember correctly. I informed him that I believe it might be a prototype SOTA before they went into full production.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Great album!
His comment on the Fibes being on the cover instead of the Slingerland,I can't control the angles of the photographer

Last edited:

Otto

Platinum Member
I'm much more interested in vintage mics and pre-amps than I am in vintage shells.

Not much distinctive 'shell sound' actually makes it to a recording...or past a desk as you would see in most venues.

I really love the vintage Orange sound...but i have yet to convince myself that old mics have superior characteristics...I really like the line that Blue currently offers along with the Sure 'SM' series and Senndheiser's offering.(...and old telephones rigged to give that 'low fi' 55 volt sensation)