hi im iggy and i am 13 and im try to get in to drumming.

iggy

I'm looking to get a good electric beginner kit. I'm am looking at the dtx6k-x and alisis command. space is a factor in my decision I would definitely like it to be under 4x4 feet

You gotta start somewhere. Welcome. I don't really do e drums but I have an old Simmons set. It's tiny, but I'm not sure it would fit in 4'×4' with my throne- maybe just barely. It's a two pedal, three cymbal four pad set like a tiny five piece drum kit.

I'm looking to get a good electric beginner kit. I'm am looking at the dtx6k-x and alisis command. space is a factor in my decision I would definitely like it to be under 4x4 feet
I’ve never really got on with electric kits, I learnt on an acoustic kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals.

Space is your biggest challenge, but for the money that your considering there are some good options to turn a cheap acoustic kit into a low volume practice kit:

Hi Iggy, Welcome to the forum. Both those electronic drum kits look good to me and are about 4 x 4 feet. I've seen similar electronic kits that fold up and are portable, people carry them to gigs. Electronic drums are a good way to start playing, and they have a volume control so you won't bother people.

Hi Iggy, welcome to the forums.

If you're really new to drumming, I'd get a practice pad and a set of sticks you're comfortable with and learn control and accuracy before you go to a kit, then when you've got used to that you can get your some E-Drums.

Hi Iggy, welcome to the forums.

If you're really new to drumming, I'd get a practice pad and a set of sticks you're comfortable with and learn control and accuracy before you go to a kit, then when you've got used to that you can get your some E-Drums.
And what 13-year-old Would willingly do that when the electronic drumset is way cooler? Sheesh - you might as well recommend to the kid that he find a good teacher! 😂😂😂

And what 13-year-old Would willingly do that when the electronic drumset is way cooler? Sheesh - you might as well recommend to the kid that he find a good teacher! 😂😂😂
Just telling him what my teachers told me, thought it might help.
Not sure if you meant to but you kinda came across a bit "wow, you common idiot" there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the laughing emoji would mean I was being facetious. But I can't control how others perceive what I say.
No, it genuinely looked like you laughed at what I'd posted.

After 38 years of playing, I'd like to think at least something I give out can be used.

when the electronic drumset is way cooler
I should prolly mind my business, but I think this was the well-meaning line behind the laughter. Yes every student will eventually have to face the rigors of rudiments and "drum pedagogy". But we live in a marvelous era of digital instruments. If electronic drum sets were widely available when I was 13 there's no way I would have been talked into a brash entry level "real" kit.

Thus the comment about "may as well recommend that he find a good teacher" is a common drum forum phrase, used tongue in cheek. Of course the practice pad advice was sound, but it's kind of like telling the kid to eat his vegetables when there's a more fun/sophisticated way to get his vitamins.

On the point about practice pads. You can "build" a practice pad kit out of 6mm or 8mm threaded stands and threaded pads from Remo and Vater, etc. The stands are adjustable height so you can surround yourself with as many pads as it takes to simulate your kit. They even make bass pads to clip your pedal onto. This kind of setup has a very small footprint. And it also fulfills the rigors of pad practice.

I don't know if you could find a full electronic kit that would fit 4'x4'. But my Roland TD-11 is as small as a pro V kit can get, and I can pick it up and carry it around in one piece.

Last edited:
Watch the language folks, 13yo kid on this thread. Send that privately please.

I started on a pad, then got a set of mismatched drums at a thrift store and some cymbals from a pawn shop. Get what you can and get to playing, I say.
A good teacher is a good idea too.

believe it or not, you can do rudiments on a drum set!!! And they are not that boring if you don't approach them that way....when I was 13, I had about half of the rudiments memorized, and had been applying them to my set pretty comfortably....I started drumming around age 5; with rudiments; and set

I use an old Roland TDK-11 for my one band's practice, and it would probably be perfect for you...it does not take up much space, and the all mesh pads feel pretty good

and you can do rudiments on them. Rudiments are NOT scary!!!

I'm am looking at the dtx6k-x and alisis command. space is a factor in my decision I would definitely like it to be under 4x4 feet
I like this 65 Drum channel. But there are a lot of other reviewers out there, as well.

Yamaha DTX6K-X

Alesis Command .....

Hi Iggy!

I'll leave the e-kit recommendations to others. However, purchasing a practice pad is a great idea regardless. I support @Hellwyck 's suggestion here. The best reason to get one is that you can bring it places you can't always bring your e-kit! This means you can practice nearly anywhere at anytime, and it's a drummer's best friend, beginner or pro. Up to you, but if I were you I'd buy one with your e-kit. Also, I can guarantee that using one will improve your technique on the e-drums by like 1000000000%.

The Evans REAL FEEL is pretty universally liked and considered by many the best pad out there. The Millenium True Stroke is a great bargain option, though. I have it, and its performance is similar to the Evans and its a little quieter. (And, it's only 20 euros, unlike the Evans which starts around 40)

Other than that, you can practice your basic rudiments, paradiddles, and other techniques for free on the Drumeo youtube channel. Also check out Rob "Beatdown" Brown, and Emanuelle Caplette on youtube. They will help you progress and prevent a lot of beginner mistakes!

Welcome to the world of drumming and percussion!

I think Iggy got grounded for being around us. Hope he (?) is still trying to drum. We'll watch and see if he turns up in four or five years

I didn't know he was 13, I just got a harsh reply and I don't stand for that when I'm trying to be helpful.

Hi there ìggy from Australia I don't know anything about electronic drums but what ever you choose enjoy them you are young and alot of years of drumming ahead of you enjoy and good luck cheers.

Back