Hi Hats with greatest crispest "bark" possible?

Check out the Zildjian FX stack used as hats (I had both the 12" and 16" models) or the paiste PST x Swiss hats

Another great set for this purpose that is a bit more 'traditional' was the 13" pair that Zildjian sold in the 'praise pack' (or something like that). They are a very shiney glassy brilliant finish with an extremely thick bottom and extremely thin top.

I use Zildjian K 13" for hi hats, but their sound is more tzzzip than tsssup, but I'm not sure anyone other than you would notice. I also at one time used 14" Zildjian Quick Beats but their sound was more tszszap which might be confused with tssszspt although again I'm not sure anyone but you would notice. You might go with NouveauCliche's advice above. 13" Quick Beats are awesome. They will probably give you the tsssssup sound you're after but with a little less ss.
Just so we have this straight-
Tzzzip
Tsssup
Tsszspt
Tszszap
Tssszspt
Tssssssup
Ss

Got it; thanks!

I use Zildjian K 13" for hi hats, but their sound is more tzzzip than tsssup, but I'm not sure anyone other than you would notice. I also at one time used 14" Zildjian Quick Beats but their sound was more tszszap which might be confused with tssszspt although again I'm not sure anyone but you would notice. You might go with NouveauCliche's advice above. 13" Quick Beats are awesome. They will probably give you the tsssssup sound you're after but with a little less ss.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The holes also prevent airlock when the hats close so that you can play them 100% level and together.
Does it help to have hats level?

Go here and listen for yourself:

I took the liberty of choosing "hi hats" only and "mycymbal" so you hear the exact cymbal you would be buying, that's why I dig this site so much.

There's many pages (manufacturers in alphabetical order) with all the different hi hats they offer.

As far as opinions go, I love the Soultone 'Vintage Old School 1964" series for hi hats the best so far

Tried many, and continue to go back to Sabian flat hats! You might find them on ebay.

Any smaller diameter "Fast Hats" (the ones with small holes drilled on the top & bottoms) will give you this sound. I have a pair of 13" Sabian AA's that have these holes & the bark is better than any Rottweiler I've ever known.

I have a set of Soultone extreme 15" that I really like. They are crisp. Also and I know you said you did not want to go below 13" but I also have a set of Zildjian 12" special recording hats that I find fantastic. Take a look and see if either might be in your wheelhouse in the coming days. Good luck in your endeavors.

Back