Hi-hat rod in the way...

how 'bout taking a chunk out of the middle and then using a spot weld or some hardware coupler to attatch the top+ bottom? Aw screw it. Just cut the top off. The crome isn't going to be exposed anyway since it will be at the top of the clutch. You can just go buy a replacement rod anyway

i was thinking the same thing, but yea you're right its easier just to cut it off. But has no one thought this; one day you may need the top of the rod to mount oh say a cowbell or a tambourine or one of those little plastic blocks lol, and you might not have the money to buy a new rod, what ya gonna do then?

I used a copper tube cutter it was perfect for keeping the cut level and used a file to smooth it.

i was thinking the same thing, but yea you're right its easier just to cut it off. But has no one thought this; one day you may need the top of the rod to mount oh say a cowbell or a tambourine or one of those little plastic blocks lol, and you might not have the money to buy a new rod, what ya gonna do then?

For what it would cost to buy a new rod at a music store, you could get a cheap tap and die set and six feet of quarter-inch rod and cut several of your own to whatever sizes you need.

i have always been curious about chopping from the bottom and using a dye to put the threading back in.

has anyone done this?

I create my own cymbal stackers..............I thread the ends of the rod.......which is shaped for the situation. I weld on washers below to stack the felts on............and use a coupler to attach the whole arm to the top of an existing cymbal. The thread is easy with a vise, a dye, and a cresent wrench.

I create my own cymbal stackers..............I thread the ends of the rod.......which is shaped for the situation. I weld on washers below to stack the felts on............and use a coupler to attach the whole arm to the top of an existing cymbal. The thread is easy with a vise, a dye, and a cresent wrench.

Very cool. I'd dig checking out your work. There's a thread dedicated to hardware mods you might be interested in at www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23501. I made a triple cymbal stacker there.

Very cool. I'd dig checking out your work. There's a thread dedicated to hardware mods you might be interested in at www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23501. I made a triple cymbal stacker there.

I will have to check out the thread you posted. My work is nothing fancy............just simplized versions of what's out there. Picture a rod with a metric universal threaded ends ...........a washer welded about 2 inches down from the top............and bends in the rod (which is anywhere from 3" to 14") which allows the top cymbal to have the best angle toward me. Instead of adjustable angles to adjust the cymbal (like found on market models)................I have to plan ahead and bend the rod in a fashion which will allow the cymbal to face me properly. My digital camera is down (dropped it while fishing).............when I get a new one I'll post pics of my "work". =)

Back