Hey now! A booking agent!

Hey Bo.... Why does the video say THROUGH being cool yet everywhere else on the page says THOUGH being cool?? :unsure:

Either way it's... cool!!(y)

Cool upgrade - now you need a better video. Editing on the current video is kinda lumpy / truncating songs early. I get that it's assembled from less than optimum footage - try getting some good stuff from the next few gigs if you can, and maybe a board take to mix with ambient audio to add some weight / impact.

That said, I'm a fan of fairly raw live video being used in showreels. There's so many contrived pseudo concert videos out there, and many promoters I speak to are turned off by those, vastly preferring real footage showing crowd reaction. It's a "this way or that way" discussion currently taking place in our band.

Hey Bo.... Why does the video say THROUGH being cool yet everywhere else on the page says THOUGH being cool?? :unsure:

Either way it's... cool!!(y)
Well, hopefully the agent proof reads his listings ;). Took me by surprise! Wow, a booking agent. Never had one of those before.

Cool upgrade - now you need a better video. Editing on the current video is kinda lumpy / truncating songs early. I get that it's assembled from less than optimum footage - try getting some good stuff from the next few gigs if you can, and maybe a board take to mix with ambient audio to add some weight / impact.

That said, I'm a fan of fairly raw live video being used in showreels. There's so many contrived pseudo concert videos out there, and many promoters I speak to are turned off by those, vastly preferring real footage showing crowd reaction. It's a "this way or that way" discussion currently taking place in our band.
You know, I can see this being a discussion. We did some proper videos where we pre-recorded the tracks, then went to a studio to play along with them for the video, but I felt it was a little too fake too. I think informal "bad" live footage is a bit better. Since I'm running a mix, I could make up another AUX mix to go to the video camera....like there isn't everything else I have to worry about sound-wise!

Heck, I'm just happy there's somebody else out there pushing us right about the time I start to push us too. We'll see how well this guy does. It is nice to know there isn't another Devo band as good as we are (yet) - except for maybe DEVO themselves, who are also doing some local shows coming up!

You know, I can see this being a discussion. We did some proper videos where we pre-recorded the tracks, then went to a studio to play along with them for the video, but I felt it was a little too fake too. I think informal "bad" live footage is a bit better. Since I'm running a mix, I could make up another AUX mix to go to the video camera....like there isn't everything else I have to worry about sound-wise!

Heck, I'm just happy there's somebody else out there pushing us right about the time I start to push us too. We'll see how well this guy does. It is nice to know there isn't another Devo band as good as we are (yet) - except for maybe DEVO themselves, who are also doing some local shows coming up!
Completely agree, agent is a great move!

As for video, to me, & many promoters, good live footage and sound, but cleaned up by mixing in a board mix (either multitrack or two track if the mix is ok) offers the best impact / message experience. The fake stuff, even well done, still leaves the question "well what am I actually getting" in a promoter's mind. The main video we're using at the moment is 100% off the camera mic's. I'd prefer to have some board capture to mix in, but it wasn't available.

Rather than take a LR feed to the camera, can you not load it to a drive then stitch it later for more mix flexibility? Keeping ambient audio prominent in the mix is a "live feel" priority for me.

So I guess we’re moving up some! We now have a booking agent! He’s added us to his website and a formal bio is forthcoming. This must be good news?

Check It out:

https://www.nealshelton.com/through-being-cool-devo

That cat has a lot of bands - make sure he's taking the time to promote you and that you're not just a line item for him. I hope with a roster that big that it's not an exclusive multi-year thing you signed.

Regardless - that's always a fun first step - hopefully he comes through with some cool stuff!!

So is a booking agent for the Devo project going to interfere with your free lance gigs? He could crack that whip and fill your calendar before you know it. So does he always get paid or a proportion of your earnings-in other words- how does it all work?

I'd be mindful that he appears to be spreading himself very thin.

Obviously there's the element of supply & demand but going by his past shows listed on his website he put on only 70+ gigs in 2019, around 40 of them being from the 'Aeromyth' Aerosmith tribute band, just under 20 of them for the Deaf Lepperd cover band.

Only three shows showing on his website as booked next month.

Looking at the large size of his roster and his booking figures I'd be mindful of the above and hope he's giving you a fair rate and/or he's promised you his attention.

Sure you/the band have given him your due diligence already but wanted to mention it anyway.

I'd be mindful that he appears to be spreading himself very thin.

Obviously there's the element of supply & demand but going by his past shows listed on his website he put on only 70+ gigs in 2019, around 40 of them being from the 'Aeromyth' Aerosmith tribute band, just under 20 of them for the Deaf Lepperd cover band.

Only three shows showing on his website as booked next month.

Looking at the large size of his roster and his booking figures I'd be mindful of the above and hope he's giving you a fair rate and/or he's promised you his attention.

Sure you/the band have given him your due diligence already but wanted to mention it anyway.
Due diligence? What? Our singer set this up ?. I think at this point we’re just another act to throw up on the wall to see if we stick. We have this online calendar in place where people can see when we’re available (which I thought premature), but I’m playing it by ear. I wouldn’t mind just doing two big shows a month (300+ seat halls) if we can. If this suddenly gets real busy, that would be cool, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

Back