Hey just gotta say

Status
Not open for further replies.

drum hostage

A lot of internet forums and social media and whatnot is just opinionated pissing contests and one upsmanship and crap like that.

but you guys seem to be really cool on not having truck in that sort of foolishness

I don't know if it's factually the case, but it kind of strikes me like pottery
people kind of get more open and honest when they do pottery and I've heard expert potters suggest that
it might be because you have to get back into your body to work the clay.
drumming seems a bit like that to me (i play other instruments,) where it's a very physical, visceral thing
-- it helps me let go in ways, to be frank, I have trouble letting go.
so I'm still chasing it

but anyway, just take this as a thank you note

now I'll wipe my tears on my sensitive pony tail, & drink a beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

yammyfan

I'm hardly an ambassador for the place but welcome to the forum just the same.

You might be right about drummers and the tone that we take with each other. This place is generally very civil. Mostly we just stick to discussing gear and tuning and show off our beloved kits when we can.

Enjoy that beer!

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
The moderators do a great job of bouncing the riff-raff and keeping things in check. I know I should've been banned long ago for my foolishness.
But they're also forgiving. That's more than most places I've been.

1 hit wonder

I went to see Justin Bieber the other day. I'm still trying to recover from seeing what he did on stage.
Don't Google Justin Bieber goose.

lefty2

Platinum Member
There may be more forums out there for drummers but it seems like most of them have gone by the wayside. I like that there are pros on here who respond to garage band drummers posts, how cool is that? Also Cmdr.Ross is right the Mods do a great job.

yammyfan

I don't have a solution to any of this and these are just my observations. We're pretty good at staying out of the mud around here but I have seen some of this creeping into the forum and it isn't good. As I've mentioned elsewhere, there's a good reason why sophisticated people don't discuss certain subjects at dinner parties.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
A lot of internet forums and social media and whatnot is just opinionated pissing contests and one upsmanship and crap like that.

but you guys seem to be really cool on not having truck in that sort of foolishness

people kind of get more open and honest when they do pottery and I've heard expert potters suggest that
drumming seems a bit like that to me (i play other instruments,) where it's a very physical, visceral thing
so I'm still chasing it

My drums are better than your drums.

I swear this is like the 70th time I’ve heard someone compare drummers to potters this week

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I'm hardly an ambassador for the place but welcome to the forum just the same.

You're as fine of an ambassador as they come. Humble too. This truly is a special place on the web. I can't explain why.

Wait, I think I may have a theory.

I'd say it's a fairly well known thing that many many drummers...not all...they get the drooling drummer stereotype saddled on them (to a degree) at the sheer mention of being a drummer. Which we know in our hearts is generally undeserved. This place, without any extra effort on our part, is a mirror reflection of what's actually inside of us. And I think it's pretty darn good overall. It clashes with what I think is the undeserved public opinion of drummers.

But whatever. I'd rather be in my position that that of the musician who has to walk on top of others to feel taller.

yammyfan

You're as fine of an ambassador as they come. Humble too. This truly is a special place on the web. I can't explain why.

Wait, I think I may have a theory.

I'd say it's a fairly well known thing that many many drummers...not all...they get the drooling drummer stereotype saddled on them (to a degree) at the sheer mention of being a drummer. Which we know in our hearts is generally undeserved. This place, without any extra effort on our part, is a mirror reflection of what's actually inside of us. And I think it's pretty darn good overall. It clashes with what I think is the undeserved public opinion of drummers.

But whatever. I'd rather be in my position that that of the musician who has to walk on top of others to feel taller.
That is one of the nicest things anybody has said to me. Thank you very much, Larry.

I can be a dick at times too and have gone back and deleted things I have written. Note to self: do not write on an empty stomach! 🤔

I agree with your theory but I'll leave it to others to comment on it. I think I have taken up enough air in the room already.

classikdrummr

so I'm still chasing it

This is a good group. Lots of nice people and good info

Reactions: iCe

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
yeah, this forum is definitely a diamond in the rough. I am on some sports forums - which are pretty bad as far as name calling and general stupidity, and a few others that can get bad.

I have never been on Reddit, or any social media, so luckily, i dodge all of the shyte that goes on there

and I find that the loudest mouths on any side of politics are also usually the dimmest brains....

criz p. critter

Silver Member

The last thing I want to do is start a fight, or get this thread locked. Especially a thread where the OP stated we're all so cool here. You are absolutely right that both sides can be intolerant and rude. I don't mean any of this as a criticism of anyone. I just wanted to give my thoughts on what you posted. Peace, friend!

Quai34

I go to drumforum as well and I have the same feeling about both, I don't have enough experience on drums and drumforum to be able to judge them but a thing I can say is that I was really welcomed on both without any dedain that you could find in other forum of you are not in the inner circle, especially me being a Keys player first and for 50 years compared to my 3 years only "playing" drums. I guess it's because we all feel being musicians first even before being named after our main instruments but this is enough rare to be noticed, we have this musicians community vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.