Help With Choosing New Drum Kit

Guardian2112

Hey all you drummers out there. I am planning on buying a new kit at the moment and am deciding between a:
Yamaha Gigmaker: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/gig_maker_drum_set/
Pearl Export: http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/drumsets/exx-export/
Can get the gigmaker for 570$ new at a local music store or export for 700$ at another store. Is it worth the 130$ more for the export? Any other recommendations for types of sets, budget is around 700$.
Also what type of cymbals do you guys recommend, im looking for a punk/alt rock sound.

Ive been playing for 2 years now, and am looking for a better kit, right now i have a really low beginner level kit and just cant stand it anymore. Any more recomendations for mid-level kits are welcome

My answer is don't buy either kit.
Buy a higher quality used kit for the same price.
Cymbals are personal. You have to find what you like on your own.

My answer is don't buy either kit.
Buy a higher quality used kit for the same price.
Cymbals are personal. You have to find what you like on your own.

600$ is preferable budget for shells atm, hard to find used kits where I live, small city, might keep checking Kijiji for used kits for next couple of months, any recommendations on types of kits to look out for?

For 700 I bet you could get a pretty good used kit and new high quality heads to go with it.

Look for a higher level kit than an Export.
Find a Yamaha Stage Custom or a Mapex Meridian. Look at some ludwig kits too.

Thanks for the feedback, will keep an eye out for these kits.
Any types of cymbals you recommend> (looking for alt rock/punk sound)

Gigmaker kits suck drop them from the list. Much better offerings at that price point.

Tama Silverstar and Gretsch Catalina Club are good in your range.

Again, you have to go to a store and try cymbals for yourself. All cymbal makers make a full spectrum of cymbals.

Tama Silverstar and Gretsch Catalina Club are good in your range.

Again, you have to go to a store and try cymbals for yourself. All cymbal makers make a full spectrum of cymbals.

Got a Tama Rockstar with Starcast mounting system for 600$, navy blue. Came with 2 Sabian crashes (16" AAX Dark Crash, 16" AAX Bright Crash) , Sabian B8 Hi-hat and a Sabian B8 crash/ride. Yamaha stands for the cymbals, Gibraltar throne, tama foot pedal. I really like the kit and think it was a great deal. All thats left is to tune and replace the heads.

Last edited:
Awsome! You selected wisely. You got everything that you need within your budget.
Don't forget to put up some pics :)

Can't wait to see them.

The B8 hats will likely be your first upgrade. Keep an eye on eBay/Craigslist for a $50 high-end set of Zildjian/Sabian hats. It 'does' happen from time to time.

Can't wait to see them.

The B8 hats will likely be your first upgrade. Keep an eye on eBay/Craigslist for a $50 high-end set of Zildjian/Sabian hats. It 'does' happen from time to time.

Yeah, plan on upgrading them, might upgrade crash/ride to an actual ride. On bright side, Christmas is right around the corner, can hold out with current cymbals for a couple months. Crash/ride sounds a lot like a ride though its weird.

Back