Help Ordering DW Drums

incrementalg

Gold Member
Keep the sizes semi normal in case you decide to sell them. I see so many Collector kits for sale with really goofy sizes. Customization can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
Good point. I don’t usually don’t factor resale in when buying drums, but the goofy sizes are an exception. Whenever I see a Collectors set listed for cheap, it’s due to crazy sizes that no one wants.

Neal Pert

If you're looking for the 14x4 "Gretsch" sound, get a Jazz Series with the Maple/Gum shell. Those are great drums. I'd also highly recommend checking out a Canopus "The Maple" 14x4, as well as the Noble & Cooley 14x3 7/8 SS Maple if you're just looking for an all-around superb piccolo.

BigDrew

If you're looking for the 14x4 "Gretsch" sound, get a Jazz Series with the Maple/Gum shell. Those are great drums. I'd also highly recommend checking out a Canopus "The Maple" 14x4, as well as the Noble & Cooley 14x3 7/8 SS Maple if you're just looking for an all-around superb piccolo.
That’s a great point, and something I’m now open to. I wanted everything to be the same series, but now may go a different direction.

Neal Pert

That’s a great point, and something I’m now open to. I wanted everything to be the same series, but now may go a different direction.
I mean, you can't go wrong, but it might be worth trying a few types of DW snares before committing. The jazz series snare I once owned was the best DW snare I've ever heard, but I haven't heard the Santa Monica and those could be even better.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My advice would be...don't get a 14x12". Every 14x12" I've played has been lacking in the oomph department. Anything shorter than 14x13" sounds just a little thin to me.

I like tight snares and articulate toms for that funky sound, but that floor tom needs to have some low end rumble.
For context, my 14 x 12 walnut floor tom is consistently the best sounding tom I have. So it's not the size, it's the combination of factors. Mine never goes out of tune. But it's the sound I really go for. It's perfect. I absolutely love that drum. I'm here to say that not all 14 x 12's are created equal. Mine has 3 legs FWIW.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
For context, my 14 x 12 walnut floor tom is consistently the best sounding tom I have. So it's not the size, it's the combination of factors. Mine never goes out of tune. But it's the sound I really go for. It's perfect. I absolutely love that drum. I'm here to say that not all 14 x 12's are created equal. Mine has 3 legs FWIW.
True.

I was always thinking 7” deep shells dont have enough sustain, or warmth, and a 15” was just ok.

But with the maple mahogany, the extra ply of mahogany, and the build this is no problem what so ever. The 15” kicks most 18” floors, and the rack toms need to be tamed when playing live, even with 2 ply batter heads.

The Santo Monica is basically like DW’s Pure Maple series, build like the last itteration of Camo (the LA shells, which DW used left over stock when they bought their part).

So I would say the Jazz series (depending on which model of these, as they have a few) give you more warmth/that old vibe.

IBitePrettyHard

@BigDrew , what drew you to the Santa Monica series in particular? Are you specifically chasing that more vintage thick-shelled rock n' roll sound from the 70s and 80s?

I personally don't like the sound quite as much as the current Collector's Series. They have a different shell formula that results in a higher fundamental pitch and a "colder" sound. You may have to hit them harder to get them to sing to their full potential, and they don't have as much warmth and low end.

The Santa Monica kick drums don't have enough low end, so a 14" depth wouldn't be enough IMHO. I've always thought DW's Collector's Series kicks sound amazing though.

Just my 2 cents.

IBitePrettyHard

Granted, you are talking about your Guru drums right? That's the best of the best!

But I agree, not all 14x12" drums are made the same.

BigDrew

@BigDrew , what drew you to the Santa Monica series in particular? Are you specifically chasing that more vintage thick-shelled rock n' roll sound from the 70s and 80s?

I personally don't like the sound quite as much as the current Collector's Series. They have a different shell formula that results in a higher fundamental pitch and a "colder" sound. You may have to hit them harder to get them to sing to their full potential, and they don't have as much warmth and low end.

The Santa Monica kick drums don't have enough low end, so a 14" depth wouldn't be enough IMHO. I've always thought DW's Collector's Series kicks sound amazing though.

Just my 2 cents.
This…

New member chiming in - I have a set of DW Jazz Series and play louder styles of music with them (larger sizes than what OP is looking for.) I love them and have since taking receipt of them In 2013. Only downside is that DW installed the bass drum badge crooked (not orientated like the others) so they sent me a tshirt as an apology.