Heads for 18" mahogany bd?

In my quest for the elusive cheap/good....I have been experimenting with my one and only multipurpose (swing jazz quartet and other gig is a zydeco band) 18" Catalina Club mahogany bd (all I could afford), but haven't found the ideal combination for mixed use. The stock heads are great if tuned high for trad bop sound...but not great for heavier gigs.

Just got a very expensive (for me) sk2...way too dead....anyone have experience in ripping off the SK2 damping (and can it be re-attached successfully?) or should I just spring for an SK1?...or go trad and put an Ambassador with some (but less) felt ?

Also experimenting with resonant heads....ported evans (for zydeco festival gigs) resonant...The head is the stock Evans eq3/4?, doesn't have a name..feels thick..anyone here cut off the muffle ring?

Thanks in advance!

phil_qc

Hi !

If you like the sound of a jazz bass drum but
a bit more "versatile", just buy an Evans EQ4
coated batter bass drum head. It's not dead, not
ringy, it's a bit open, it's the perfect "boom" lengh
for jazz with just enough "thud" for rock... And the
pedal feel is awesome...

I like it so much I just buy an other one even if the
first one is new... (just tryed it as a reso head..)

Philippe

Sorry about no info on the SK2... never tryed one ;(

wloeb

I've been using a SK2 on a 20" bass drum for years. Yeah, It's not a traditional jazz head. Before you replace it, I would suggest trying a higher tuning. Try gradually tightening the head and see if you find a sweet spot where it rings more. It may be higher than you think.

Wayne

In my quest for the elusive cheap/good....I have been experimenting with my one and only multipurpose (swing jazz quartet and other gig is a zydeco band) 18" Catalina Club mahogany bd (all I could afford), but haven't found the ideal combination for mixed use. The stock heads are great if tuned high for trad bop sound...but not great for heavier gigs.

Just got a very expensive (for me) sk2...way too dead....anyone have experience in ripping off the SK2 damping (and can it be re-attached successfully?) or should I just spring for an SK1?...or go trad and put an Ambassador with some (but less) felt ?

Also experimenting with resonant heads....ported evans (for zydeco festival gigs) resonant...The head is the stock Evans eq3/4?, doesn't have a name..feels thick..anyone here cut off the muffle ring?

Thanks in advance!