Headphones/in-ear monitors

I am a drummer in a church of about 2000 people. I am searching for a good in ear monitor. Is Vic Firth headphones better or audio technica better? Please give your answers.

Thank You

Vic Firth have good isolation but poor sound quality. Not bad for the price tho.

I’ve used Ultraphones for decades. Great sound. Great isolation. Pricey.

I’ve not tried the AT phones.

I am a drummer in a church of about 2000 people. I am searching for a good in ear monitor. Is Vic Firth headphones better or audio technica better? Please give your answers.

Thank You
Are you asking for advice on in ear monitors, or head phones? Please clarify. I use Sony MDR-7506 phones, but don't use in ear monitors, as I couldn't get used to them. Perhaps the fine members here with experience with IEMs can chime in if that's what you're looking to learn about.

There are a lot of other options and AT make many models.

For isolation VF is probably good. For sound most AT models will probalby beat it by miles.

Depending on budget and you actual needs, there's a lot to choose from.

I have a set of Westone’s UM Pro20 I got from Sweetwater that were on sale for pretty cheap.
I’m happy with them. Comfortable and the foam does well to isolate the sound.

Last edited:
I use Sony MDR-7506 phones...

I also love that Sony model, although it's not intended for isolation. The GK-Music Ultraphones are my go-to isolation phones (see my avatar photo) and they just happen to use the 7506 drivers. :)

Bermuda

I've used both the VF Isolation headphones and the Direct Sound EX-29s. They're both decent, but I've found that IEMs provide significantly more reduction in dB. Currently using Shure SE315s, but there's a lot of great options out there.

All the prior suggestions are great...BUT...in the past few years there's been an explosion of Chinese-made IEMs that are surprisingly good. KZ is the brand. Tons of church musicians are buying them now because they're dirt cheap.

A pair of KZ IEMs that cost between $17 to $45 can easily rival the sound quality of the entry level Shure 215s that cost $100.

Here's just one of Rob Brown's many reviews of the KZs. The only thing he always recommends is buying a pair of foam eartips to make them fit better and more comfortably.

KZ ES4s, they cost $17 right now on Amazon. I've used them myself and they're amazing.

All the prior suggestions are great...BUT...in the past few years there's been an explosion of Chinese-made IEMs that are surprisingly good. KZ is the brand. Tons of church musicians are buying them now because they're dirt cheap.

A pair of KZ IEMs that cost between $17 to $45 can easily rival the sound quality of the entry level Shure 215s that cost $100.
I can confirm this. I know a lot of church musicians that use KZ in ears. I have some KZ AS10s. They were like 45 on sale. I also replaced the included tips. They sound great. My only complaint is that they are a little heavier on the low end than I usually like, but others I have talked to usually disagree.

Back