Head recommendations-Mapex Saturn exotic studio ease

Rainy

looking for advice on heads? I really love how thunderous these drums sound! I Have a mapex Saturn exotic studio ease set.. currently have remo ambassador ebony heads on my kit and in the market to replace them! Looking for advice on how best to highlight the tone of my drums and bring out the best in my sound ? Appreciate any suggestions from the group.

TK-421

Welcome to Drummerworld! A few months ago, I put some Remo Smooth White Emperors on my Gretsch Renown kit, and they sound absolutely amazing. They deliver a bright initial attack like a clear Emperor, but with an incredible warmth and low end like a coated Emperor—sort of the best of both worlds. I don't have any experience with these heads on a Mapex Saturn, but I imagine they'll sound great on those as well.

Fritz Frigursson

Clear Emperors on top and clear ambassadors on the bottom worked really well for me when I had that same kit. Tune the bottom heads a tiny bit higher than the top.
I'd say it works for every kit. It's a great combo. I prefer it with coated emperors

If you want to go the Evans route then G1 clear on reso and G1/2 coated/clear on batter. You can't really go wrong with heads if you stick to general recommendations and parameters.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
All of my toms have clear Evans G2's on top and clear G1's on the bottom. The bass drum has EQ 3 heads on back (clear) and front (black). Peace and goodwill. All of my drums are Mapex by the way.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Another vote for coated/clear Emperor batter and clear Ambassador reso.

Also ...... welcome to Drummerworld.

Last edited:

rebonn

My advice would be to replace them with the same ambassador single ply heads. I've been through countless heads and the single ply Remo heads just sound better to me. I've quit trying different heads and use ambassadors on all the kits including my Mapex kit. The kicks get the PS3s and the snare gets an Evans Genera Dry.

NickSchles

My take / experience on this would be that single-ply heads help project the natural tone of the drums more. Thicker heads, of course, give a different tone (not better or worse), but I try to stay away from very thick heads for the reason that they don't let the drum speak as much. The thickest I tend to go for is the Remo Vintage Ambassadors which are somewhere between a regular Ambassador and an Emperor. Personally, I go for coated! Hope that helps! :)

Rainy

Welcome to Drummerworld! A few months ago, I put some Remo Smooth White Emperors on my Gretsch Renown kit, and they sound absolutely amazing. They deliver a bright initial attack like a clear Emperor, but with an incredible warmth and low end like a coated Emperor—sort of the best of both worlds. I don't have any experience with these heads on a Mapex Saturn, but I imagine they'll sound great on those as well.
Thank you for the advice!! Much appreciated

moxman

Silver Member
I have a Mapex kit that sound awesome with toms: clear Evans G2's on top and clear G1's on the bottom.
Snare is Evans coated G1 on top with hazy 300 bottom.
Then again.. I've used that combo with my Yamahas, Tamas, Rogers and Ludwigs - works every time rock, jazz, you name it

drumnut87

welcome! :D

my suggestions would be aquarian response 2s or super 2s as batter heads, with their classic clear as resonant heads on the toms, and a superkick 1 or 2 on the batter side of the bass drum, with a ported regulator resonant to match :)

thats what i used on my old mapex saturn, and it really brought out the thunderous tones <3

iCe

Oh and by the way... as you probably have seen by now you get a ton of different suggestions (which are all valid), but one of the beauties/frustrations on head selection is that you've got to try them to hear if they deliver the sound you have in your head.

In my experience certain combinations have the perfect sound on a drumset, while on another with different wood type and hardware they sound horrible. On my Pearl Vision VBA the golden combination was clear Ambassadors top and bottom. On my Pearl Masters BCX that sounded too thin and clear Pinstripes top with clear Ambassadors delivered the sound i was looking for.

danondrums

To best highlight the tone I find it’s nice to tune the bottom head to the pitch of the shell. Most people will probably like the top head tuned slightly lower than the resonant head to achieve a fat tone without a lot of overtones, but it’s okay to tune to taste on the top one. But reso tuned to the shell seems to always work best IMO.

adamosmianski

looking for advice on heads? I really love how thunderous these drums sound! I Have a mapex Saturn exotic studio ease set.. currently have remo ambassador ebony heads on my kit and in the market to replace them! Looking for advice on how best to highlight the tone of my drums and bring out the best in my sound ? Appreciate any suggestions from the group.

I can't quite remember if there is a different between the Ambassador Ebony and a traditional Ambassador, so maybe it's what you already had, but I still say you can never go wrong with a Coated Ambassadors. They suit any style of music and sound great in various tuning ranges.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Rainy

Thank you for the suggestions my friends !! I agree with you all! Heads are a personal tone preference. I tuned up my aquarium ebony’s and they seem to have more life in them. Not a hard hitter. No sense in spending cash on something not needed right yet, but really leaning towards coated on the next round of heads! I will visit my friends at DCP in Portsmouth Nh and Shane will let me hear a few different heads to help me decide. Maybe try out a few snares. I heard a black beauty that a friend has and OMG that snap has me thinking about it!!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Welcome to DW. I have a Saturn V Tour and I run clear 2 ply over clear 1 ply.

Evans do the G14 head which is pretty cool too. Very easy drums to get singing

Rainy

Awesome!! I just love that they bring the thunder.. I love the warmth of them! Thanks for the advice ... keep it in mind for sure