Head help for the biggest beefy kick sound that the drum can manage!

pbm2112

Hi, really I should buy a 24" kick, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so in the meantime I wonder if there's anything I can do with drum head selection...

I play a lovely maple/mahogany 22" x 14" kick with a large wooden beater. For many years I've been playing Remo PS3 batter (I've been happy with clear & coated) & Remo Ambassador + felt strip reso (no port in the front and no damping inside). I tend to tune a bit over JAW as I like a some bounce off the head - I never bury the beater.

Now that there are so many bass heads to try I was wondering if there were things out there than can give me more bass out of the drum. Are there heads that will give a lower pitch than others assuming that the head tension is the same?

THANKS!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Keith Carlock is the way to go.

Single ply front and back, not sure of the tunings. Guessing the reso is tuned higher that the reso. No felt or dampening at all.

My 18x14 is set up like this and it sounds a lot bigger than it is.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I'll always pitch in with the Evans EMad as my preferred option.
I've used them on 22" and 20" bass drums with excellent results. The foam ring dampens the head and eliminated the need for internal cushions/pillows/ sheets etc so you keep the volume.
I tune above, just above wrinkle and then tighten the reso head until the I get the sound I want. On the 22" I tightened the reso high and it worked well, I tried the same technique on both a 20"x14" and a 20"x16" and it didn't work buttoning as I described above did.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
You might get a lot of varying opinions on this!

As for me, I like PS3 too; but I was surprised at how much the choice of reso head affects the sound. Aquarian Regulator is a very good reso head for a deep punchy sound.

belairien

Silver Member
You might get a lot of varying opinions on this!

As for me, I like PS3 too; but I was surprised at how much the choice of reso head affects the sound. Aquarian Regulator is a very good reso head for a deep punchy sound.
While the regulator is typically paired with the superkick, I find it works really well with ps3/force1/eq4. Put one and ps3 on a cheap kick I refurbed and it thunders.

drumsforlife

I play a maple/poplar/maple Ludwig 22x14 and I've had good success with an Emad 2ply/Ambassador combo. Right now I have a Fiberskyn Ambassador and a felt strip on each side and no port. I use a big fleece beater. I definitely get a lot of low end, and it's not too overly resonant. Great sound. I don't think I'll ever buy a bass drum deeper than 14". I love that I can get great, big, boomy sounds as well as good punch.