Have my tastes changed, am I getting old, or is food getting worse?

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Lack of good help these days and the haute vegan culture being sold to the general public are not good for the average Joe's taste buds.
The "smart growth " central planning has destroyed a lot of mom and pop places that used to flourish in the bay area.
I mean $15 bucks for a hot dog?
And places like BK sell a Whopper meal for $10 bucks and change and they are just bad.
I noticed the buns are quite a bit sweeter(almost cake like) these days.
Vegan doesn't have anything to do with health, though some may feel that way. Sugar, transfats, plastics. Pave paradise plant Avocado trees. Why can't we use the northern plains to grow food like corn and feed it to cows... Sorry, but most of the airable land in the world can't grow much in the way of plants most of the year, welcome to the North.

I get it some people really don't like to eat meat, but pretending that it is somehow more healthy or moral well...

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
my job has me hitting fast food or lunch a decent amount during the week.. I try to look or places that DON'T have fryers in them. Jersey Mikes is a standard got to place for me; Subway as well, though I have only ever found one Subway that wasn't disgustingly dirty, and it is close to one of my schools

we also have a few mom and pop deli's that do soup, salad and sandwiches - again
Grocery store delis lots of time have premade sandwiches, salads, etc. Even, gulp (I dont wanna say it) Walmarx deli.

It's another healthy option comparatively.

TMe

Have my tastes changed, am I getting old, or is food getting worse?
All of the above? Our preferences change, our sense of taste changes and diminishes as we get older, and the quality of some food has changed a lot over the decades.
  • Chocolate tastes more like wax than it used to.
Chocolate does contain more wax than it used to. The taste of high quality Belgian chocolates hasn't changed.

And if you're thinking butter tastes like palm oil or eggs taste fishy - that's not your imagination. Not where I live, anyway. Strangely enough, when you feed palm kernel to milk cows and fish meal to chickens, it changes the taste of the product. Who'd a thunk it?

Rochelle Rochelle

Don't be upset. Added sugars are added sugars. Both HFCS and sugar contain fructose and glucose (both roughly 50:50) and the only difference is that they are bound together in granulated sugar and not HFCS. But guess what........your digestive system breaks down real sugar into fructose and glucose anyway, so they are exactly the same from a health perspective.

The problem lies in the amount of added sugars whether it be HFCS or pure cane sugar. So relax, Blue Bell is bad for you either way. :)

It's not the health aspects of it that bother me, it's the taste. There is a discernible difference between the two. Drink a soda with real sugar vs. HFCS and you'll see the difference. HFCS is so much blander.

WuHan Solo

It's not the health aspects of it that bother me, it's the taste. There is a discernible difference between the two. Drink a soda with real sugar vs. HFCS and you'll see the difference. HFCS is so much blander.
Oh, that makes sense. I haven't had a soda in over 5 years. I've tried, but they all taste horrible to me now. Like carbonated syrup.

But, does it make a big difference in ice cream as well? I could see where artificial sweeteners like aspartame might taste weird but I would think all the added flavoring would mask the taste of HFCS, but what do I know? I don't eat ice cream either.

Rochelle Rochelle

Oh, that makes sense. I haven't had a soda in over 5 years. I've tried, but they all taste horrible to me now. Like carbonated syrup.

But, does it make a big difference in ice cream as well? I could see where artificial sweeteners like aspartame might taste weird but I would think all the added flavoring would mask the taste of HFCS, but what do I know? I don't eat ice cream either.
It might not make as big a difference in ice cream but I’m just wholly against HFCS since they ruined soda in the name of cheaper ingredients.

The Shepherd

Foods made by corporations have changed for the worse. It's all about squeezing every last cent of profit by cheaping out on ingredients.

Meats have changed taste wise as their feed has also changed for the worse over the years. "Corn fed beef" is supposed to be a selling point now. Cows eat grass.

planoranger

"Corn fed beef" is supposed to be a selling point now. Cows eat grass.
While cows can eat corn, it is not easily digestible. It causes bloat and flatulence. No wonder the environmentalists are up in arms about methane-producing cattle. :mad:

According to everything I read, corn should be used ONLY as a supplement. Grass/hay should make up the majority of their diet.

The meat that we buy is from grass-fed cows. The cattle company is owned by the Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, whose family has been in ranching for generations. So he's not some "Johnny-come-lately, hobby rancher".

I'm a card-carrying member of the (fictitious) "Red Meat Eaters Association";)

The Shepherd

While cows can eat corn, it is not easily digestible. It causes bloat and flatulence. No wonder the environmentalists are up in arms about methane-producing cattle. :mad:

According to everything I read, corn should be used ONLY as a supplement. Grass/hay should make up the majority of their diet.

The meat that we buy is from grass-fed cows. The cattle company is owned by the Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, whose family has been in ranching for generations. So he's not some "Johnny-come-lately, hobby rancher".

I'm a card-carrying member of the (fictitious) "Red Meat Eaters Association";)
Corn has a higher calorie count per unit volume than grass. Cattle being fed corn bulk up faster than on grass which equates to higher profits and more product but a poorer quality.

I try and buy my steaks from local farmers and not the packaged stuff from the supermarket / feedlot.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Many crazy things going on these days.

If you're worried about low omega 3 in beef the simple fix is to let the cows eat what they're were meant to eat, grass.

Now, if you think you're saving the planet by going vegan there may be some holes in your knowledge. Just a few. I'm not getting into the crazy political and ideas currently going on about that. Just leave my meat alone and you can do whatever you want. I'll be saving the planet one steak at time and I'm actually not trying to be funny.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I am skeptical about the negative press that corn gets. I love corn. Sweet corn, masa tortillas, grits. I especially like nixtamalized corn, what a great nutritional value. I assume this is essentially the same as getting lots of fructose. Fructose crops up many places. I once met a person who was fructose intolerant, he couldn't eat an apple.

My point is I don't think fructose vs. glucose sweetener is all that important. Its just how much there is in it.

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Was just discussing this topic with a friend. I was born in ATL with the 'World's largest drive-in restaurant' called The Varsity which has been around for nearly 100 years right beside Georgia Tech. I've eaten their food since I was a kid when my parents would treat us to a night in midtown before a movie or something. They sell a ton of hotdogs, but I've always loved their 'off menu' pimento cheeseburgers which were just hamburgers slathered with some pimento cheese, then toasted to a delicious crispy outside and melty inside.
During Covid they went to no outside service (wtf?) and changed the pimento cheese to something you'd find at the cheapest grocery store in town- some runny gook with no taste, but the price is higher than ever. I will not be going back and sadly they will go the way of all institutions who choose to run themselves into the ground.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I am skeptical about the negative press that corn gets. I love corn. Sweet corn, masa tortillas, grits. I especially like nixtamalized corn, what a great nutritional value. I assume this is essentially the same as getting lots of fructose. Fructose crops up many places. I once met a person who was fructose intolerant, he couldn't eat an apple.

My point is I don't think fructose vs. glucose sweetener is all that important. Its just how much there is in it.

Both simple sugars, but fructose is worse.

Worth nothing that your regular pack of refined cane sugar has both in about equal amounts.

Otto

Platinum Member
yes...but i see significant changes even over the last couple of years.

older changes, such as more corn syrup/less cane

Can't even get broccoli at my local grocery stores that is not about to be far to old and hasen't been put through a 'flourette' cutting process with a hefty price increase for the 'service'.

Greed(fear of 'not having') is how we built our society and how we allow it to continue to abuse us.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Both simple sugars, but fructose is worse.

Worth nothing that your regular pack of refined cane sugar has both in about equal amounts.
It's just the quantities: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health#fiber

Sweet corn and apples... delicious!

Personally, when I make soda's I try to minimize sugar content. Only recently I started adding maple syrup. Prior to that I had been mashing sweet potatoes and malt like they do in beer, in a specific way with higher temperatures to generate long chain complex sugars ie sugar alcohols. I also use real licorice which has glycyrrhizin, which is thousands of times sweeter than sugar. There are some other tricks like birch bark containing xylitol.

Part of the reason I started making sodas was to make lower sugar sodas with natural ingredients, mostly for oral health.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It's just the quantities: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health#fiber

Sweet corn and apples... delicious!

Personally, when I make soda's I try to minimize sugar content. Only recently I started adding maple syrup. Prior to that I had been mashing sweet potatoes and malt like they do in beer, in a specific way with higher temperatures to generate long chain complex sugars ie sugar alcohols. I also use real licorice which has glycyrrhizin, which is thousands of times sweeter than sugar. There are some other tricks like birch bark containing xylitol.

Part of the reason I started making sodas was to make lower sugar sodas with natural ingredients, mostly for oral health.

I'd love to try some homemade soda. I've heard that homemade root beer is delicious.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'd love to try some homemade soda. I've heard that homemade root beer is delicious.

we used to make sassafrass tea when camping...sort of like camping root beer minus the carbonation