Hanging stick bag issues

dkerwood

Silver Member
Ok- curious problem.

I've gotten used to hanging my stick bag from my floor tom- attaching to the lugs.

I just picked up a new kit with a hanging floor tom. The mount is a RIMS-style. Unfortunately, this means that the necessary lugs are occupied, so I've got nowhere to hang the stick bag.

Anybody else run into this tiny problem, and is there a solution?

My pedals go into a box that looks like a big fishing tackle box. (21x13x11). Made by Slave-Cradle. It usually sits behind me, to the left or the right. I put my stick bag on top of it. Danmar makes a cylindrical stick holder that will clamp onto most any upright post (like a cymbal stand). I have one of those, also, and it works great.

I always use floor toms with legs, so I've never run into this issue.

You could stand the stick bag on the ground, leaning against the floor tom. You could somehow attach the stick bag to your throne. You could get one of those stick holders that attaches to a cymbal stand. You could set your stick on top of your bass drum.

If you have t-rods on your bass drum, rotate a t-rod to the vertical and let that, along with the bass drum lugs, hold a spare stick.

I have the haging floor tom on one of my kts too. I picked up a Dennis Chambers stick bag, it's a tall bag so I sit it on the floor and tie it off on a couple of lugs. This bag also has a sleeve where you can stick a drum stick through it horizontal and it keeps the bag wide open.

Good luck

Attachments

• stick bag.jpg
    stick bag.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 608
I'll have to try setting it on the ground and attaching it to the bottom lugs of the floor tom.

I like to have my stick bag there not only for extra sticks should I break one, but also to switch sticks/mallets/brushes quickly and easily in mid performance.

I've seen those hi hat attachments... Couldn't that be homemade with a clamp and some capped PVC pipe?

I think Gibralter has a throne that comes with a pocket for drum sticks.

I've seen this advertised in modern drummer. http://www.zzounds.com/item--RVLRSS

It's designed to be able to stand on its own and hold a lot of sticks. I couldn't tell you how well it does its job and it's a little pricey but it may fulfill your purpose.

I know that many drummers don't like to do things like this but I have no problem with customizing things to meet my needs. You could go to a home supply store and find some fancy hooks that are to your liking and screw them to your floor tom to hold your bag. They have modern Sleek looking ones that will compliment your kit. There are also hardware supply sites that sell things like this for cabinet makers and woodworkers.

youenjoy00myself: I like it while it's on the ground, but it wouldn't be very convenient to carry around. I'm being picky, but I figure that's my prerogative.

bobdadruma: That's not a bad idea. I'd just want to figure out a way to do this without permanently modifying the drum or the hardware.

I'd really love to pick up one of these, but it looks like it's been discontinued.

I would also love to pick up one of those Z-Bags, as they were designed by one of my percussion professors, but that would require hauling a Manhassett stand to gigs.

Maybe I can try hanging it from my auxiliary snare...

EDIT: Looks like DW now makes the Erskine signature free standing bag instead of Yamaha. It now includes a stand... to the tune of $100. Sounds like I may have to be inventive here.

Back