Hacked?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I just figured I had pissed everyone off

or like in high school, everyone told me the party was at place B, and I went there while everyone else was at the real party at place A <--- the classic "avoid the nerd" trick

pgm554

Platinum Member
I am glad the guys hosting these sites have upgraded the SSL certs.
I just noticed that.
Unfortunately Vintage drum forum has not.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I just figured I had pissed everyone off

or like in high school, everyone told me the party was at place B, and I went there while everyone else was at the real party at place A <--- the classic "avoid the nerd" trick
You too???? Joke was, I sent out the invites. LOL. Nothing like 40 people showing up at the teachers house!!!

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
What was the motive of these hackers.. ? :unsure: Any ransom notes or anything like that, some sort of explanatory message..?

After getting access to one of the admins accounts he was trying a social hack by politely asking for 300 bucks as a well-known long-term admin. After getting in contact with him asking for some proof he got more and more waspish. As soon as he got aware that his masquerade was exposed he went ballistic, deleting all forums, sending a message to Bernhard demanding a ransom of 1,5 grand for bringing back the forums. At the same time I triggered a shut-down of the server. All in all it was a matter of seconds.

Do those bot posts that pop up now and then have anything to do with it?

No, that's a different story, mainly about dropping links into high-frequent pages like bigger forums to simulate reach for search engines in order to raise rankings. Some forums also give access to email addresses or other personal data for registered members, so botnets are generating random user accounts to see if there's more to it. And lots of other reasons of course.

Why even try to hack a forum for music stuff?

A hacker trying to extract money like this doesn't care about the target. This might even have been an anonymous, scripted hack orchestrated by a botnet, informing the hacker about a successful breach. He then just acts out his typical routine, no matter what the targeted platform is about.

Surely there are much more interesting (lucrative?) things on the web, no?

Some thieves are happy knocking over an old lady in front of a bank stealing just her pension, some crash into the bank with a car at night, trying to rip out the ATM and some are digging tunnels to get to the core of the whole thing. Just a question of ROI.

I couldn't even get to the website either

Server was down for a couple of hours until we were able to bring it back online safely.

It's a minor miracle that I can start my computer every morning.

Must be a Pearl thing ?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

You too???? Joke was, I sent out the invites. LOL. Nothing like 40 people showing up at the teachers house!!!

so, that sounds like how our Senior Year band prank started....

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
So is it a crime or is just part of the Wild West of the internet? Can we enact our own justice if none to serve us if we could track the scum down-so maybe remove some body parts to sell to recover any losses. One kidney, one eye, maybe a lobe of liver and lobe of lung their heart since so heartless they would never notice ROFL. There's not computer detectives who go out and help families held hostage in a similar scenario-so at a minimum if they can't get their money/identity back at least they can find solace that the detective goes all Kung fu and eliminates the sack of crap from the gene pool before it replicates and maybe send a message to others? If not can you Supergrobi become a tech guru and an assassin? You wouldn't even have to change your name "Supergrobi" High tech assassin-has a ring to it. A trained squad of high tech killers and assassins. We could make a movie/documentary about it like it's real so likely a whole bunch of stupid people will believe it like that mermaid documentary and maybe it will actually deter such behaviors. Wag the dog a bit.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
So is it a crime or is just part of the Wild West of the internet?

Depends on the jurisdiction. In Germany for example it's even verboten to use tools like Wireshark, an average network sniffer I'm using at least once a week up to daily, depending on the job.

About your other ideas:

SupergrobiAssassin.png

Like this?

Yamaha Rider

After a few days of wondering, I finally got the same message today as @organworthyplayer337 about Talkbass.
Although THAT doesn't appear to be hacker related, I still say that hackers, when caught, should have their hands and tongues removed...first offense.

If they persist...eyes and hearing next...
I'd just like to point out that @organworthyplayer is not me.
Despite my reputation.
Hi ladies ?

Yamaha Rider

So is it a crime or is just part of the Wild West of the internet? Can we enact our own justice if none to serve us if we could track the scum down-so maybe remove some body parts to sell to recover any losses. One kidney, one eye, maybe a lobe of liver and lobe of lung their heart since so heartless they would never notice ROFL. There's not computer detectives who go out and help families held hostage in a similar scenario-so at a minimum if they can't get their money/identity back at least they can find solace that the detective goes all Kung fu and eliminates the sack of crap from the gene pool before it replicates and maybe send a message to others? If not can you Supergrobi become a tech guru and an assassin? You wouldn't even have to change your name "Supergrobi" High tech assassin-has a ring to it. A trained squad of high tech killers and assassins. We could make a movie/documentary about it like it's real so likely a whole bunch of stupid people will believe it like that mermaid documentary and maybe it will actually deter such behaviors. Wag the dog a bit.
Pay $5000 dollars by midnight Agrippa.
Or you'll never get your paragraph breaks back again.

Fritz Frigursson

last thing i saw before the site went off was a post by gruntersdad asking for 300 bucks urgently... don’t know if it was hacked or the site has financial problems?

felonious69

I also wanna say I just bought a Peavey MiniMax V2 Bass amp...I can't post it over there>, cuz, not drum stuff, and I can't post it on Talkbass, cuz they're still down.

Just sayin'. (WooHoo!)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
last thing i saw before the site went off was a post by gruntersdad asking for 300 bucks urgently... don’t know if it was hacked or the site has financial problems?
That was the beginning. At that point, that wasn't me. I was hacked and lost control of my log in, but on the long run, Supergrobi had sprung into action and dealt with the fool. The fool reacted by shutting down the site. Super, and Bernhard did a marvelous job. Congrats to them. I don't need $300. Three or four more zeros would help. ha ha

felonious69

I had to settle for the little amp cuz my recent ransom demands didn't quite pan out.

(Wait...did I just type that out loud?)

Fritz Frigursson

That was the beginning. At that point, that wasn't me. I was hacked and lost control of my log in, but on the long run, Supergrobi had sprung into action and dealt with the fool. The fool reacted by shutting down the site. Super, and Bernhard did a marvelous job. Congrats to them. I don't need $300. Three or four more zeros would help. ha ha
thank god. Thought the forum collapsed for lack of funding.