Hacked?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Today is Wednesday. DW worked fine this morning for me. Then around 9:30am CST I couldn't get on. Wasnt able to until around 7pm. Everything is now set back to Monday and some things look weird. I've had no other internet issues today. Did something happen or is this an issue on my end?

Today is Wednesday. DW worked fine this morning for me. Then around 9:30am CST I couldn't get on. Wasnt able to until around 7pm. Everything is now set back to Monday and some things look weird. I've had no other internet issues today. Did something happen or is this an issue on my end?
Same here . First I got a screen to donate to DW. When I tried to click on new posts, or the new treads or anything that’s normally in too I got nothing . I refreshed several times but nothing . Then could not connect to server at all , but no problems with anything other than DW. Tried to pull up the site a few times throughout the day and nothing Then later around 6 pm est.,site came up but said it was performing updates. Weird.

toddmc

Gold Member
Yep, looks like it's been "re-booted" or whatever using an archived version with some posts/ likes missing (I'll wait for the tech guys to explain it properly)....

organworthyplayer337

I'm on talkbass.com alot and the same thing is happening there. They just updated the site with this message:

"TalkBass is currently offline due to a catastrophic fire and subsequent fire-suppressant water damage at the datacenter where our servers are hosted.

We have been offline since the evening of Sunday April 4th. Power restoration has been slower than anticipated, as has any info on the possible damage to our servers.

While this is deeply frustrating, please know we are doing everything we can to get TalkBass back online as soon as possible.

Offsite backups were automatically maintained up until the incident, so if deemed the best course we will spin up new servers and start to rebuild from backups.

Thank you for your patience during this time. We've been online for over 20 years, and we will get through this!

Happy bassing to all, I so look forward to seeing you soon.

Paul Determan (Founder and owner)"

:(

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Whew! Sure glad Johnny wasn't really asking each of us for 300.00 though with all the cool power tools available in the world I could understand why.

Last edited:

TK-421

You mean I wasn't supposed to be an internet pirate and hack the site? Lame.

~TK-Arrrrgh21 (like a pirate would say it)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Pretty pathetic to hack and harass a drum site- WTH is wrong with people.

C.M. Jones

Sounds like something a major hacker would say.
But in my inept case, it's a candid admission of cyber incompetence. I'm a lot more comfortable with pencils and paper. When it comes to anything technological, if it was created after the '80s, I'm not sure how to use it. Yeah, I miss LPs and cassettes a lot.

Auspicious

What was the motive of these hackers.. ? :unsure: Any ransom notes or anything like that, some sort of explanatory message..?

Bozozoid

My first thought was server updates but at one point my paranoia set in and I'm thinking damn...i posted pretty buzzed last Saturday night and said something real real stupid and got booted.

Sebenza

Do those bot posts that pop up now and then have anything to do with it? Also as an aside...this is my very first actual encounter with anything hacking related. I read about it on the news, but that's about it. Why even try to hack a forum for music stuff? Surely there are much more interesting (lucrative?) things on the web, no?

Hewitt2

Do those bot posts that pop up now and then have anything to do with it? Also as an aside...this is my very first actual encounter with anything hacking related. I read about it on the news, but that's about it. Why even try to hack a forum for music stuff? Surely there are much more interesting (lucrative?) things on the web, no?

You’d be surprised at the amount of personal data that can be extracted from forums such as these. And usually they aren’t as hard to hack. Good reward for the amount of effort that goes into hacking.

felonious69

After a few days of wondering, I finally got the same message today as @organworthyplayer337 about Talkbass.
Although THAT doesn't appear to be hacker related, I still say that hackers, when caught, should have their hands and tongues removed...first offense.

If they persist...eyes and hearing next...

pgm554

Platinum Member
Pretty pathetic to hack and harass a drum site- WTH is wrong with people.
The general MO is to slip a piece of malware on the hosting server and when somebody visits that site and has an unpatched browser or OS,they drop a backdoor piece of software that can let them do a number of things.
I remember having issues with one of these sites doing redirects to malware hosting sites a few years ago.
Freebie hosting web site builders like Wordpress need to be patched frequently for flaws and if you don't have a sysadmin keeping an eye out on the patching ,bad things can happen.

Last edited: