Guitar building

My son got into scratch building electric guitars a couple of years ago. He uses my old well worn tools… a contractors table saw, drill press, a router, cordless drill, hand held electric planer and a palm sander. Other than that, hand saws, files, chisels, clamps, tenacity and patience. I think he bought a few fret tools, but the rest was done with basically homeowner tools. I have no idea how he does it.

4DC53B7F-2349-4B4E-9E34-A3BDCA76F959.jpegD342930D-59C6-4279-94AA-C35DB1C7A2B5.jpegD47DC39E-8193-4FFE-AD99-A6B4E9D06FC9.jpeg0ADAB36B-BDA0-485A-AE9A-00D41EB00330.jpeg4684A35E-1D6F-4B94-9BD7-0C376E0BE51E.jpeg

View attachment 129061I built this on my kitchen table many moons ago..

That is, quite seriously, very nice. To me it puts off a very country and western vibe, or maybe an Indie sort of punk rock thing. The leather couch that is rests on is the perfect backdrop for that guitar. From the Imperial tuners to the chicken head knobs, bold choices all around. Well done.

My son got into scratch building electric guitars a couple of years ago. He uses my old well worn tools… a contractors table saw, drill press, a router, cordless drill, hand held electric planer and a palm sander. Other than that, hand saws, files, chisels, clamps, tenacity and patience. I think he bought a few fret tools, but the rest was done with basically homeowner tools. I have no idea how he does it.

View attachment 129071View attachment 129072View attachment 129073View attachment 129074View attachment 129075

There is a guy I know that started building classical guitars in his dorm room with whatever tools he could come up with. Today is a recognized world class luthier. Your son may have a future there.

I always wanted to try a neck-through, but Carvin is out of business and Kiesel (the guitar building part of Carvin) stopped offering neck-through blanks. Does anyone know a neck through blank builder?

More progress pix on the aging to come. Now, I am fine-tuning the aging, with a few more dings, scratches and scars. The next cold night will get her to sleep outdoors once again. She will also get time in a tanning bed.

Last edited:
The Deluxe is now getting very light relic treatment, mainly so the tuners don't look so weird with the pristine body. Telecaster Deluxe guitars were never offered with nitro paint. Poly takes more to check, but it does scratch and check. Taking it outside and bringing it in uncovered does start the process, just a lot slower than with nitrocellulouse lacquer. Having this body in anything other than poly isn't correct, as Fender switched to poly quite early due to nitro lacquer checking, flaking and peeling, and there were a lot of warranty issues due to the paint. Poly is more impervious to the elements, but does eventually become brittle when it experiences enough temperature extremes.

The brass neck plate was a popular mod as many of these were modded from being three bolt to four bolt necks. 2A189F60-F2B1-4CD1-8664-CE530F86BD3E.jpeg45F0E735-E034-45D9-A48A-D5756EBF35BB.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 129071View attachment 129072View attachment 129073View attachment 129074View attachment 129075

Wonder if your son could build a Vox phantom copy. ?.

Doing some subtle relic work on the Deluxe. I have rolled the fingerboard, which results in the clear popping on these necks. I have liberated the fretboard of most of the finish and added "dirt". Added a few more dings. Now, I just want a few more cold nights to check the finish.
E2C132C1-3D42-4127-9769-F47C16CAD677.jpeg07E933DC-C0C5-41B5-8F2D-4F216B2620F1.jpeg51B92182-894C-473F-AF61-FE093F776D5A.jpegD854EF26-F1F1-4A00-96F7-A793BD63EC68.jpeg

This is in Hollywood Beach, Florida:

HardRockSeminole.jpg

Oy! It appears that I have misgauged the intent of the thread.

I could talk guitar all day. I recently bought a J Mascis tele. I only know C G and E. 😥. Are you in favor of the out of phase middle?.
Well, I'm not sure I like my gear aged...But yes, being barely able to handle it, I like Guitars so, before Drums and buying them, I bought through several years:
1) G&L Made in USA Stratocaster style Legacy HSS Black and White Pic-guard
2) G&L Made in USA Telecaster style, Asat Bluesboy with a Seith Lover pickup on the neck
3) G&L Made in USA, specail serie Havannah Asat Deluxe HH, semi hollow with no F holes
4) Ibanez AS153, Gibson ES335 style in Burn fade yellow
5) Fender Acoustic
6) Ibanez bass XXV Anniversary SR 1200
7) G&L Bass L2000 Clear Orange
8) Ibanez SR2600 5 Strings, CBB

And that's it...Well, all my guitarists tends to prefer mine instead of their...So, I think I did right...But I'm not a worn out guitar guy for sure...
p_region_SR2600_CBB_1P_03_sub_1.jpgPractice Place 4.JPGPractice Place 5.JPG3_l2000.jpgD2H_8151.JPGD2H_8153.JPGD2H_8164.JPG

Ho my god, I lobe that!!!

I got a nice, cool night in last night, so I could get some nice contraction/expansion action on my two 70s era Tele builds. No pix yet. Did install the jack plate and string ferrules on the Deluxe; I used nickel on the ferrules and an aged chrome jack plate. I am going to use a few cold evenings to get more thermal finish abuse. There will be no more intentional dings; of course if they happen, they happen.

1 Meg pots for BOTH the Thinline AND the Deluxe; CBS bought 1 Meg pots by the pound during this point of history. The 1 Meg pots will certainly contribute to the unique sounds that 70s Teles are known for.

Back