Grip issue

The cheapest and best grip enhancer I've found is Gulfwax Paraffin Wax- $6.00 for 4 blocks of this stuff!!! Just rub a little on the sticks and it will help the grip w/out being too tacky, sticky or abrasive to the skin. I keep 1 block in the accessory bag, 1 in the practice room, 1 in my car, 1 in the living room- whew, never out of it but have used it non-stop for several years now. https://www.truevalue.com/household-paraffin-wax-1-lb
I have a large, white, round candle, but my drums now and only have to drag the sticks through the now grooved candle, like paraffin, to put a layer of grip on the sticks.

I had no idea so many people had such persistent grip problems. I haven't really dropped any sticks in a long time, and I've always got one ready within arms reach so I can't relate very well to all these solutions. I will say that using a larger stick has helped a lot, so I'd definitely recommend. Larger sticks are not "louder" unless you play them louder.

Hi CR. Have you though about gloves? Some people like them for the kind of problem you are having. Best wishes.

I had no idea so many people had such persistent grip problems. I haven't really dropped any sticks in a long time, and I've always got one ready within arms reach so I can't relate very well to all these solutions. I will say that using a larger stick has helped a lot, so I'd definitely recommend. Larger sticks are not "louder" unless you play them louder.
I drop one now & then, but not because of bad grip technique or the condition of my skin; it's because I get careless/carried away and the stick gets caught under a cymbal or drum rim and is literally pried out of my hands. :LOL: Also, yes, spare sticks are always within reach.

I have had good luck with surf wax. Zildjian's stick wax is a bit too tacky for me, so I use Sex Wax Surf Wax. It isn't too tacky and it is cheap.
This is a great idea. I'll try it and see what happens.

I drop one now & then, but not because of bad grip technique or the condition of my skin; it's because I get careless/carried away and the stick gets caught under a cymbal or drum rim and is literally pried out of my hands. :LOL: Also, yes, spare sticks are always within reach.
Totally... I've had that issue too. Sometimes house kits aren't setup ideally and you catch your stick on a rim or cymbal edge. Certainly not a grip problem though!

Totally... I've had that issue too. Sometimes house kits aren't setup ideally and you catch your stick on a rim or cymbal edge. Certainly not a grip problem though!
Well, mine is a grip issue from smooth, dry hands.
Lotion made it worse, rubber bands roll off and grip sticks cost a lot.
I have a great relaxed, loose hands & never have a problem with blisters or other overly tight grip issues.

I've ordered the Sex Wax to try that as they actually have "drums" as a use.
I'll throw an update here after some experimentation.

My hands also stay dry when I play. In an emergency, in the old days, I used to use soda pop. Buy a Sprite from the bar and put it on your hands.
These days I use tennis racket grip. That's the best stuff I have found.

There is one more thing that worked good for me. Buy a can of high gloss clear spray paint. Spray that on your sticks and let it dry. Give it several coats. The nice thing about this idea is it is easy and cheap to respray them once in a while. Try it.

My hands also stay dry when I play. In an emergency, in the old days, I used to use soda pop. Buy a Sprite from the bar and put it on your hands.
"Because that's how you get ants!" - Sterling Archer :LOL:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These days I use tennis racket grip. That's the best stuff I have found.

There is one more thing that worked good for me. Buy a can of high gloss clear spray paint. Spray that on your sticks and let it dry. Give it several coats. The nice thing about this idea is it is easy and cheap to respray them once in a while. Try it.

That spray paint idea is smart. That high-gloss stuff is really durable.

Inhave the same dry slippery hand problem. I wrap the stick with electrical tape. It adds very little to the thickness but is less slippery than the wood

Update:
"It's all about the Sex Wax baby!!!" - Me to my wife. Over and over until she hit me. :LOL:

Depending on how much you use, it gives just the right amount of tackiness to keep the sticks from flying. A puck costs about $7 on Amazon & it'll last quite a while.
Thanks so much for all the replies. Youse guys ROCK!! ??

My hands rarely sweat when I play. I'm always dry and slick. I tried stick wax and Gorilla Snot. They work, however, if I set the sticks down, stuff would stick to the coated surface.. I now use stick tape, and have just become used to the thicker feel.
Zildjian Dipped sticks work ok, but tends to peel off. I rarely break sticks (jazz drummer, I use 7a) so the sticks last quite a while. I've tried grip spray, but haven't found a spray that will last.

My hands don’t sweat either, and it’s frustrating when it seems like all the sticks on the market are a satin finish. Pro-Mark sticks literally don’t stay in my hands, Vic Firths are fine in the summer, but in the winter I need a rubber grip a gloss finish. And of course nobody makes the stick I want in a gloss finish...

Capella had my favorite finish, so I’m going to have Jeff Rich make me a brick in a similar shellac in the near future. Regal Tip is great too, but hard to find, and when I ordered some sticks through the local drum shop it took like three months to show up. Right now I’m trying the Los Cabos grip sticks and they’re pretty good, but tear up my index finger.

I remember Regal Tips...a lot of the ones from the early 70's that I got were pretty badly warped. I would roll them on the glass counter trying to find 2 good ones. It drove Pop of the Mom and Pop music store bananas lol. I was 12/13 years old and quite the picky buyer lol.

I wonder if they are any straighter now. I would think so. The coating is great.

I remember Regal Tips...a lot of the ones from the early 70's that I got were pretty badly warped. I would roll them on the glass counter trying to find 2 good ones. It drove Pop of the Mom and Pop music store bananas lol. I was 12/13 years old and quite the picky buyer lol.

I wonder if they are any straighter now. I would think so. The coating is great.

Yes, the coating is pretty much brilliant. The perfect level of grippy. I wish they would merge with Vic Firth, or sell Vic Firth the formula for that coating, because most of my favorite models are made by Vic.

My hands don’t sweat and I have found sticks with heavy lacquer are best for allowing me to relax my grip and avoid cramping from gripping the stick too hard .
Regal Tip’s finish is ideal for me and I have been using their sticks for about ten years now . I dally in other sticks but always come back to Regal Tip .
the new Vic Firth Double Glaze models work well for me . If Vic Firth offered the Peter Erskine Big Band stock in double glaze I would be buying bricks of them .
This.

The glossy lacquer finish on Regal Tip sticks will solve the problem. If you can find them!

GeeDeeEmm

Back