Gretsch Renown '57s Jazz Bop Shell Packs Now Deep Discounted?

NOW you tell me...when they started going out of stock, I ordered a 5-piece and a 4-piece in Onyx...reason being, I wanted the 5, but thought the extra floor tom would be nice (or a 4 with an extra mounted tom....lol)...but it was like $500 to order the 14x14 tom by itself, I figured for $300 more, I could go 8-piece, bop kit, big kit, in between, or play the 5-piece and let my daughters have a kit "just like Daddy's"...but I could've lived without the extra snare for $200, especially as I decided a couple years back that 14" snares were just too big / not comfortable for me (hazards of building my dream e-kit, I guess...)

But still, I can't complain much...after nearly 30 years of a third-hand, late-60's "Stewart" (aka Japanese-made, department-store-sold) kit, I think I was due for an upgrade...keeping the Stewart's though, hell, they've been to CBGB with me (twice), 80-90% of my other gigs, recorded a bunch-o-times...it'd be sacrilege to get rid of them at this point, lol.

Weird thing is, the Stewart kit is built on (2) 20"x18" kicks...with the Renowns, I feel like the one is just a little small, and the other is gi-hugeous...got some adjusting to do, I guess!

Ed
I did the same thing. I got both in Red. Many combinations to be had. :)

I ordered one of the red kits and it should be here Tuesday. What's even more exciting is that right after I ordered it, they took the product off their website(I got the last one!). Get them while they're still out there.

Very cool man!
You are going to love them! The red ones are my fav out of the three offered. You're lucky you got the last one = that's kind of special too.
When I ordered my PWAM Renowns in 2007 I got one of only two left in the factory so I know how that feels.
Nothing like opening boxes of new drums!
Have fun with it - I'm sure you will,
Cheers,
gary

I ordered one of the red kits and it should be here Tuesday. What's even more exciting is that right after I ordered it, they took the product off their website(I got the last one!). Get them while they're still out there.

Last edited:
For those who are obsessed with details like me, I received confirmation today from the people at Gretsch that the production 57 bop shell packs were limited to 125 for each of the three color options - blue, black and red. For what it's worth. No longer in production so 375 is it. Doubt you'll find that limited $700 deal anymore, though. What's left are back up to $1599 again. Check back with me in 50 years and we'll see what happens as far as value... :)

MODEL BASS MOUNTED TOM FLOOR TOMS WOOD SNARE
RN57-E825* 18" x 22" 8" x 10", 9" x 12" 16" x 16" 6 1/2" x 14" 20 LUG
RN57-J484 14" x 18" 8" x 12" 14" x 14" 6 1/2" x 14" 20 LUG

Perhaps some of these still remain. But this is the Gretsch reply below..

"Hello Larry,
Congratulations on your kit! Yes, there was a limited amount of these kits made. It was never published, but they did make 125 of each.

Best regards,
Gretsch drums"

So, even with the blowout pricing, they didn't sell them all yet. I still see them for sale at several places, but at much higher prices.

Maybe they'll have another blowout sale, and I'll get another chance. LOL

Went to my local shop to pick up some sticks and a practice pad to start playing again after not having a kit for about 25 years. I just wanted to start the process of working some rudiments and, yada, yada, yada,...

I now own a bop kit in black, as well as grabbed a 4600 series Gibralter hardware pack. Well under a grand for it all, I'm happy with what I brought home.

I never did gt the sticks and practice pad.

You're one of the lucky ones. After this thread got bumped up again, I did a search for them.
Found one new Gretsch '57 bop kit for a little over $800, but the seller is in Indonesia.
Everything I saw in the US is higher priced again.

Just did a great trade - I traded a small custom Precision Drum Company kit 10/13/20 - for a played-once-new-in-bags- Gretsch 57 in Black, rock sizes 10/12/16/22/14sn.

Now I have the bop kit in red and the rock kit in black.
They sound tremendous. Amazing. Awesome.

I might, might, might trade/sell them for a Brooklyn kit though...at least I will 'keep it in the family :)

I was thinking of cutting down the 22x18 bass drum to a 22x14 - I did this quite successfully with my Yamaha MCAN - but perhaps best to leave it alone, being a limited edition kit. It does sound very good just as it is, I must say.

Maybe if I decide to rip off the chevrons , then I'll cut it down. But then the Brookyns.....ahh nevermind.
I wonder if there's any way to buy those new round Gretsch badges...the Renown kind.
Then I could rip off the chevrons and still have a Grestch badged kit.

Just did a great trade - I traded a small custom Precision Drum Company kit 10/13/20 - for a played-once-new-in-bags- Gretsch 57 in Black, rock sizes 10/12/16/22/14sn.

I might, might, might trade/sell them for a Brooklyn kit though...at least I will 'keep it in the family :)

I was thinking of cutting down the 22x18 bass drum to a 22x14 - I did this quite successfully with my Yamaha MCAN - but perhaps best to leave it alone, being a limited edition kit. It does sound very good just as it is, I must say.

Maybe if I decide to rip off the chevrons , then I'll cut it down. But then the Brookyns.....ahh nevermind.
I wonder if there's any way to buy those new round Gretsch badges...the Renown kind.

Sweet deal. I would be surprised if Gretsch would release badges, but if they would then I would rip the 57 logo's off in a hearbeat. What sold me on the kit as opposed to the CCJ was the quality of the shells, and the price I could aquire them for.

I may still take the logo's off.

I beleive that I will install a BD cymbal mount for a ride, and get a wood beater for my bass pedal. Vintagecoated Emperors for all batter heads, and for the time being the current Evans reso's should do fine. However once I decide to change then coated Ambassadors are going on the Reso side. Same for the snare.

Been hitting the stores looking at cymbals. I'm fairly certain I'm going with New beat hi-hats again. I had a 22 rock ride last time, but I think a 22 medium- med-hvy will be the ride, along with an 18, and 20 medium crash.

Next year I may order a 16" floor tom as well.

I'm such a slut.

Then,.......

Good idea

I was thinking of cutting down the 22x18 bass drum to a 22x14 Bad idea - I did this quite successfully with my Yamaha MCAN -
but perhaps best to leave it alone, being a limited edition kit. Good idea
It does sound very good just as it is, I must say.

Maybe if I decide to rip off the chevrons , Bad idea then I'll cut it down. But then the Brookyns.....ahh nevermind.

LOL - anyways, you get the gist. IMO, trading for the Brooklyns is a worthy idea.
Highly modifying a '57 kit is not the best idea. Again IMO.
But then again - they're your drums, not mine. Have at it. LOL

I said it before and I'll say it again - by all means, go for it and tear off those chevron decals. It'll make my kit worth more. Maybe not until I'm 110 years of age but still... :)

LOL - anyways, you get the gist. IMO, trading for the Brooklyns is a worthy idea.
Highly modifying a '57 kit is not the best idea. Again IMO.
But then again - they're your drums, not mine. Have at it. LOL

Haha, yes I think I'll leave them alone. Dunno what I was thinking.
If I get sick of looking at the chevrons, it's real easy to re-install/ turn the iso mounts around so the chevrons are pointing back at the player. Then nothing gets hurt.

This kit will either get played as is - or swapped up for a Brooklyn kit.
No rush.

That sounds like a sensible plan.

What are the chances of this....
I just bought a Gretsch 57 renown 22"x18" shell that has some interior surface cracks from shipping damage ....for $40. I will have it next week. Actually got it from a guy I know , about an hour away.
So ...now I can leave my shiny new kit alone intact and untouched ...and then as an option , cut down this second damaged one to a 22x14. And even better, if I cut 4" of depth off the reso side , I can leave the chevron intact and move the spurs back. We'll see how that works out- I am bringing it to the guy who cut down my MCAN. He's a pro, does excellent work.

Only issue is that this second shell is just that - a bare shell.
So I have to migrate lugs, spurs, mounts, and hoops to the *other* shell.

Anyway, I'll post pics when it's done!

Last edited:
Evilg99, congrats on the second Renown shell. I'm sure that you will address the cracks on the interior. Just a suggestion: Superglue, (ca3) works really well on cracks of that nature. It is very thin and penetrates and seals the cracks while strengthening the area around the crack to keep it from spreading. Good Luck. John

Back