Gretsch COB snare ....info ?

bigbang

Pioneer Member
Hey gentlemen / ladies , I've come across a Gretsch chrome over brass 14 x 6 !/2 snare on sale. I haven't had a chance yet to look it over and play it but .... it's some pretty in the picture !
I know somebody on DW has to have one , if so , thoughts ?
I'm guessing its somewhat equivalent to a black beauty (maybe ).
Any info would be great.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I don’t have one, but it’s on my radar. I’ve played it enough to know I like what I hear. With respects to Black Beauty, the Gretsch COB is less pingy and more focused. If you like the BB, then going that route would be best. If you like less ping, the hammered version is more controlled yet.

acsunda

I had the 7x13 for a while, and it sounded great. I only sold it because I'm short and the 7" depth made it difficult to position comfortably. Great drum, though. I've considered getting the same snare in the 5.5x14.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Hey gentlemen / ladies , I've come across a Gretsch chrome over brass 14 x 6 !/2 snare on sale. I haven't had a chance yet to look it over and play it but .... it's some pretty in the picture !
I know somebody on DW has to have one , if so , thoughts ?
Any info would be great.
I think it’s closer to a supraphonic in terms of sound than a black beauty. A little more ring than a Supra though. The die cast hoops stiffen the heads a bit so it doesn’t have as much give as the ludwigs. Not a knock, but an observation on how it feels

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
We'll I have a COB and a couple of hammered brass ones.

It is closer to a Supra, but the quality is different to a typical Ludwig setup. A large part is the die cast hoops, but the Gretsch sound is a bit rounder and has a bit different mid frequency peak regardless.

A die cast hoops makes things stiffer for sure. It's what you're use to For my style I prefer that. I also much the prefer the side stick sound of a die cast hoop.

In my case, my BB as die cast hoops, too. It's not the same drum. I guess brighter as a while, but a more even frequency response sort of describes it. I use my BB for orchestral and acoustic rod/brush stuff. A classic back beat sound for sure, but not what I personally like for louder playing.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have a 6.5 x 14 COB hammered Brooklyn snare. Love it. I was using an Evans genera dry and just changes to a Evans G1 clear. Wanted a little more ring. Success

Local Oaf

I have a 1970s Stop Sign badge COB 4160 on layaway at a pawn shop right now. I played it for a little bit before making that down payment and I really liked the sound a lot. I agree that it was less pingy than a Black Beauty.

notvinnie

thoughts ?
Any info would be great.
Similar to the Black Beauty sound-wise (if the Black Beauty is equipped with die cast hoops), but the Gretsch Lightning throwoff is problematic. Very cheap fittings that will easily snap in half if you're not careful. I would suggest ordering one without strainer hardware installed (if possible) and then installing something else, or just get a different make with similar specs, and a proper throwoff.

justadrummer

I love the chrome over brass Gretsch drums, currently I own two. One of them I've owned since 1992, it was my primary snare until around 2008. It is has a more controlled sound than my Black Beauties, likely due to the die cast hoops. (As others have said.)

As for the Lightning throw off, I've had good luck with every one that I've come across over the years.

bigbang

Pioneer Member
Much appreciate it everyone.
The drum manager at my local music store is a good buddy of mine and texted me pictures of the gretsch - apparently it come in, but wasn't ordered - so he was gonna give me a good price on it.
Unfortunately on his day off , it was sold. He meant to put it away but forgot ( whomp whomp ) , so when I got back to town....gone.
Based on what i'm hearing though ,I'm going to get him to order one for me...I'll have to pay full price now though.
Story of my life.

markdrum

Silver Member
I wish that he'd put a holdon that for you. I've got one and they're great drums. I've had no problem with the Lightning throw. The P-85 on the other hand.........