Gretsch Brooklyn or Broadkaster?

LittleLegs

I'm eyeing up these two as my next kit and would love to hear from people who have experience of them. They have the same hoops and are both maple/poplar, but one is 6 ply the other 3 ply, and they have different bearing edges. I know I'd be happy with either (and am fortunate to be able to afford either - at a push). Which would you go for? (Sizes I'm after are 12x8, 16x16 or 16x14, 22x14). Cheers!

Hope others chime in with responses too.

I own a Brooklyn Bop kit and love it. No experience with the Broadkasters so I can't comment. For reference, I also own a USA Custom and New Classic set.

I tune them up high and they sing.

Only ongoing issues apparently are with wraps and head selections. I guess they cut the wrap a little short (perhaps if it's the same as the USA's) and could look a little unsightly. This may be an issue with either line though. Just do some research so you know going into it.

I don't own any wrapped drums so I can't comment.

Let your ears decide which is best.

I'm looking at the Brooklyn.

I'm probably going for 22/16/12, having had a 24/16/13 Gretsch Renown for the last 5 years.
I want something a tad smaller but I don't want to sacrifice too much low end.

I did think about going all out for a 3 up top & 2 floor tom kit but decided to spend more time on filling out the space with few bits.

THIS is the kit I'm looking at.

Which would you go for? (Sizes I'm after are 12x8, 16x16 or 16x14, 22x14). Cheers!

slider3.jpg

I'd go for the 3 ply kit over the 6 ply kit.

I also have a Brooklyn kit in bop sizes and absolutely love it. The tuning range is great - I've had it tuned high for jazz and tuned lower for use with my band and it has exceeded my expectations. Sound wise the Broadkasters, (at least in the audio files I've heard) seem to have a little more open, ring-y tone to them. I got a great deal on my barely used Brooklyn kit, but at one point the USA Customs and Broadkasters were on my radar as well. I have to say whenever I watched video clips of Steve Maxwell demo-ing the individual models I kept coming back to the Brooklyns as my personal preference.

If you're looking for a vintage reproduction, go fro the Broadkaster.
If you're looking for a modern kit with a Gretsch vibe, go for the Brooklyn.

I don't have hands-on experience with either. But both dmacc and WhoIsTony? have put up clips of their Brooklyn sets and they sound fantastic at bop tuning. Of course, they both know how to tune for that music (which seems to be an increasingly rare skill) and both can play like a mother****** and can make anything sound good. But the sound of their drums has still stood out for me, so that might count for something.

Hope others chime in with responses too.

I own a Brooklyn Bop kit and love it. No experience with the Broadkasters so I can't comment. For reference, I also own a USA Custom and New Classic set.

I tune them up high and they sing.

Only ongoing issues apparently are with wraps and head selections. I guess they cut the wrap a little short (perhaps if it's the same as the USA's) and could look a little unsightly. This may be an issue with either line though. Just do some research so you know going into it.

I don't own any wrapped drums so I can't comment.

Let your ears decide which is best.

The Brooklyn shells are slightly undersized compared to the Broadkasters.
I had a problem fitting heads with my USA Customs (Walnut Gloss lacquer finish).

The Brooklyn shells are slightly undersized compared to the Broadkasters.
I had a problem fitting heads with my USA Customs (Walnut Gloss lacquer finish).

Good to know.

I don't have hands-on experience with either. But both dmacc and WhoIsTony? have put up clips of their Brooklyn sets and they sound fantastic at bop tuning. Of course, they both know how to tune for that music (which seems to be an increasingly rare skill) and both can play like a mother****** and can make anything sound good. But the sound of their drums has still stood out for me, so that might count for something.

Thanks for the props 8Mile

Back