Grand Son Gets A Drum Kit

Don't think you need to upgrade just yet. Let the kid get used to playing first and determine if he really wants to play drums. Good to see that you got a "real" kit and not one of those First Act jobs. Did all the extra hardware come with it?

I seem to remember you saying something about your GF not caring for the drums. Is she okay with the purchase?

Regardless of what she thinks, I think it's awesome. Watching kids enjoy playing drums makes me happy.

My girlfriend is warming up to having drums in her house. She says that the only things that hold her grand son's interest are video games and music. The boy spends all afternoon on keyboard and drums. He loves composing and writing songs.

The drum kit came with stands, throne and bass drum pedal. Everything works but the bass drum spurs keep slipping. The drum kit falls over. I have the bass drum propped up on a cardboard box now but we need to fix or replace these spurs. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the legs in their proper orientation?

The awful cymbal sounds a little better now. I taped two pennies to it. We are still looking to replace the cymbal.

The drum kit came with stands, throne and bass drum pedal. Everything works but the bass drum spurs keep slipping. The drum kit falls over. I have the bass drum propped up on a cardboard box now but we need to fix or replace these spurs. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the legs in their proper orientation?
You could try a couple of things if memory locks will not work. Just a few ideas that you can do with stuff around the house.
1. Drill the legs where the wingnut touches the spur.
2. Build a [ shaped riser/restraint to prevent the spurs from spreading out.
3. Tie the left spur to the lower right tension rod, and the right spur to the lower left (from the front view). This should prevent the spurs from spreading outward as well. You would need to tie a killick hitch, or something similar, to prevent the rope from sliding up the spur.
4. You could use weight plates and slide the spurs through the holes.

Back