Got my new Sonor SQ1's today....Meh..

fess

I'm a bit disappointed in the quality. The bearing edges feel somewhat unfinished, like someone forgot the final sanding. Compared to the edges on my DW performance kit and especially my INDe, kit they feel pretty rough. Additionally, most of the 20 bass drum lug screws were quite tight screwing in. I found a number of them that had a noticeable bend in them making them bind inside the lug. Disappointing for a company with such a good reputation.
All that said, the kit sounds very good....but still.......

Having owned DW, Gretsch, Ludwig, INDe and now Sonor, my opinion is that INDe is the best deal out there.

That's disappointing and quite surprising to hear. Sonor has a great reputation, at least for the Made in Germany drums.

Is it possible to get the issues rectified through your dealer or from Sonor directly?

Really strange. The bearing edges on my SQ1 are perfectly smooth. As Darth Vader said: get in contact with your dealer. Sonor has a great customer service.

The edges are flat, just rough. I don’t think it really matters for sound and it would be too much trouble to pack them up and send them back for someone to light sand them.
The tension rods are another matter.

The edges are flat, just rough. I don’t think it really matters for sound and it would be too much trouble to pack them up and send them back for someone to light sand them.
The tension rods are another matter.

I've found those rough edges on Sonor's less expensive kits - I've always used the DrumDial bearing edge conditioner for that - applies like chapstick and it's like $10. I'd pick it up if you can and feel like applying it.

However - I'd be really frustrated if I found that on a kit in the price range of a SQ1.

Is it on EVERY edge?

Made in Germany I suspect a quality control issue too.

So let's see......it's not too much trouble for you to complain about a company on the internet to thousands of people about a QC issue but it's too much trouble for you to give said company/dealer/distributor a chance to rectify it? IMHO, that's kind of weak.

So let's see......it's not too much trouble for you to complain about a company on the internet to thousands of people about a QC issue but it's too much trouble for you to give said company/dealer/distributor a chance to rectify it? IMHO, that's kind of weak.

Yeah, exactly. Firstly, I said the drums sounded good, I see no problem in pointing out some issues with them. Did you hear me complain that the company would not recitfy the problem or was unresponsive in any way? I decided that the rough bearing edges did not effect the sound, were not visible on the drum set and would probably require me to disassemble, box and ship the it somewhere and wait for it to be send back. . Hardly worth the effort, do you not agree? I did say that I will address the tension rods.
What exactly is the issue with me pointing out some quality control issues, regardless of the extent to which I ask the company to address them?

Yeah, exactly. Firstly, I said the drums sounded good, I see no problem in pointing out some issues with them. Did you hear me complain that the company would not recitfy the problem or was unresponsive in any way? I decided that the rough bearing edges did not effect the sound, were not visible on the drum set and would probably require me to disassemble, box and ship the it somewhere and wait for it to be send back. . Hardly worth the effort, do you not agree? I did say that I will address the tension rods.
What exactly is the issue with me pointing out some quality control issues, regardless of the extent to which I ask the company to address them?
There was an issue recently where some of tom and floor tom leg mount rubber pieces were bleeding into the finish and staining it. Did Sonor replace the affected drums? No, they sent the people brand new kits. If I'm not happy with something I'll at least contact the company before drawing conclusions about said company's QC and griping about it on a public forum. You're call though. It's your kit.

There was an issue recently where some of tom and floor tom leg mount rubber pieces were bleeding into the finish and staining it. Did Sonor replace the affected drums? No, they sent the people brand new kits. If I'm not happy with something I'll at least contact the company before drawing conclusions about said company's QC and griping about it on a public forum. You're call though. It's your kit.

He paid the money. He gets to squawk. And German-made drums should have edges that are smooth as glass. End of story.

It really bewilders me when fanboys use this forum to rudely defend their favorite company. What do you THINK this place is for? It’s not for fanboying like your life depends on it, dude. It’s for honest experiences and impressions.

Sorry to hear about those edges. Never thought Sonor, of all manufacturers, would let some rough edges slip by.
I'd bring them right back.

He paid the money. He gets to squawk. And German-made drums should have edges that are smooth as glass. End of story.

It really bewilders me when fanboys use this forum to rudely defend their favorite company. What do you THINK this place is for? It’s not for fanboying like your life depends on it, dude. It’s for honest experiences and impressions.
I think you pretty much have the market cornered in here as far as being rude goes.

Not too difficult to "draw a conclusion" when you are looking at the product and see an issue. Still confused as to why I shouldn't have mentioned it on a drum forum. You know, a forum where people talk about their experiences with drums.

Hey listen, I don't care if you take them out in the street, poor gas on them and light 'em on fire. All I tried to do was explain to you how to get some satisfaction with regard to what you felt was a defect. If that's being a fanboy then I'm guilty as charged. I thought your initial post sounded a bit "Karen-esque" whether they were Ludwig, Blaemire, Sonor, Gooroo, or any other f'ing drum company.

Hey listen, I don't care if you take them out in the street, poor gas on them and light 'em on fire. All I tried to do was explain to you how to get some satisfaction with regard to what you felt was a defect. If that's being a fanboy then I'm guilty as charged. I thought your initial post sounded a bit "Karen-esque" whether they were Ludwig, Blaemire, Sonor, Gooroo, or any other f'ing drum company.

Sounds like you’re trying to take my World Rudeness Championship belt lol

You're right, I'm sorry. Who am I to complain about a product I just paid for? And Sonor drums no less. In the future, I'll just count myself as one of the few lucky ones able to own such magnificent drums. I know I'm not worthy. What was I thinking?

Every Company lets a lemon get out, the way they respond to being taken to task for it is how we can truly judge a Company.
It is sad that Fess seems to have received one of these kits. I recall a post on a forum where someone asked what the difference was between a High end kit from Sonor ( SQ1, Vintage and Prolite) and an SQ2 was and the response was the SQ2 got more attention and labour time on it.
That's is no reason that we cannot expect to have quality edges and straight tensions rods for the money Fess paid.
Sonor ( and yes Push Pull I am a fanboy) has made their reputation on the quality of their drums. This is not to say they are perfect, but they should not be letting kits go out like Fess experienced.

Every Company lets a lemon get out, the way they respond to being taken to task for it is how we can truly judge a Company.
It is sad that Fess seems to have received one of these kits. I recall a post on a forum where someone asked what the difference was between a High end kit from Sonor ( SQ1, Vintage and Prolite) and an SQ2 was and the response was the SQ2 got more attention and labour time on it.
That's is no reason that we cannot expect to have quality edges and straight tensions rods for the money Fess paid.
Sonor ( and yes Push Pull I am a fanboy) has made their reputation on the quality of their drums. This is not to say they are perfect, but they should not be letting kits go out like Fess experienced.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand. Some of the tension rods are not straight, and the bearing edge is not quite as smooth as I would have expected. I do not consider these lemons. They tuned up great, look good and I really like them. I was just surprised by what I consider a couple of minor QC issues given their reputation. Any company can, on occasion, have some small issues sneek through.
I hope this puts an end to this.

Back