GMS drums

dkerwood

Silver Member
GMS drums- pro level, custom drums, in the same league as DW. Agree or disagree? Discuss.

I'm about to go drive 4 hours to possibly buy a GMS CL kit from a guy on Craigslist. I've heard a lot of good stuff, but I'm slightly worried since I've never heard of the brand before. It's a 10 year old, USA-made maple 4 piece (kick, 3 toms, all virgin). I know the newer, overseas version of the CL series starts at $1700 for just the shells. Is it same to assume that USA made shells are better quality and are worth more?

The shells are hand stamped with birthdate and serial number. I called GMS in NY to inquire about the serial numbers, but those 1998 records predate their current computer system. He said he could go dig it out of a filing cabinet. I didn't have time to wait. I'll call back when I do.

I'm wanting this to be my nice pro quality drumset for the next few years. Do you think it will hold up? Would it beat a Tama Starclassic or a Mapex Saturn? Is it on the level of Pearl's Reference or Yamaha's Studio Custom? Can it really match up with DW's pro level gear?

I'm getting them at an intermediate drumset price (under $1K) and with some great hardware and cymbals (most of which will likely go right back on my local Craigslist). Is it too good to be true?

I guess the real question is:

These would be an upgrade from my 80s Ludwig Rockers, right? :)

GMS has been making drums for 20 some years. Somewhere on the forum is a semi-huge thread on them. The hardware is some of the best stuff made. Lugs are machined, not cast. Attention to details like that. Shells are made by Keller, like Caddy mentioned. Certainly pro-level. Keller themselves, has been making drum shells for 50 years, or thereabouts. As far as all the drums you mentioned, they are on par. Good drums.

GMS are one of the best US companies out there like Harry mensioned the lugs are machined and the lug swivals for a better head placement and thus.....easier tuning.those are just on there special edition and grand series the cl series are casted.if you can afford it I would go for the special edition series but there pricey so sticker shock will be present LOL.but considering what US made Gretsch's are going for they are a bargin.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

GMS drums are great. Sound freaking amazing for being a "keller shell" company. The devil is in the details as they say.

The CL series are less expensive versions of the SE series. The CLs have more standardized hardware and lugs whereas the SE and GMS series have they're unique lugs & hardware.

I can't say enough good things about GMS....

Eric Kretz ( one of my favorite drummers ) endorses them, he's the drummer for the stone temple pilots, listen to them and you can get an idea that they sound pretty good.

Although they use Keller shells, they sound godly and will definitley stand up to the test of time. Their a quality company, and easily rival DW and every other top brand name. The major difference is that they don't use their own shells. However, Keller shells are DW 15 years ago, and are still built as top quality pieces of wood.
It is definitley above the Rocker, and they generally have beautiful hardware and finish that will make them sound all the sweeter (psychologically, of course, unless paint suddenly has tremendous bearing on sound)

theres eric using them

Attachments

• Eric Kretz02.jpg
    Eric Kretz02.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,298
Back