Gig bags for Manu Katche Jr kit

Griffin

Hey guys, I have a Yamaha Manu Katche Jr kit (5 piece version of the hip gig kit) and was wondering if anyone knows of a set of gig bags that suit the sizes (
16"x15" bass drum with riser, 10"x7"and 12"x7" toms, a 14"x13" floor tom, and a 12"x5" snare) or am I just going to need to grab bags a la carte?

I use AHEAD Armor Cases, which are phenomenal on every count. They might not come precisely in the non-standard dimensions you require, but I'm sure you can find sizes that will serve as adequate fits. Below is a link to AHEAD's website. You can order the cases from any AHEAD retailer.

It would probably be easier à la carte, but if you are up for an adventure, grab a 22/10/12/14/16 set, sell the 22", unless you have use for it, and purchase another 12.

Look at the pearl midtown bag set. The bass drum bag is for a 16x14 but it's got room to spare, mine certainly does and I'm sure it could fit 1" of extra depth. The other bag fits a 10x7, 13x12, and 13x5.5 with some room to spare. I'm almost positive you could fit your bass drum in the bass drum bag, all your toms in the other bag, and just get a separate zip up case for the snare. My pearl midtown bags are extremely high quality, I'm very pleased with them.

Look at the pearl midtown bag set. The bass drum bag is for a 16x14 but it's got room to spare, mine certainly does and I'm sure it could fit 1" of extra depth. The other bag fits a 10x7, 13x12, and 13x5.5 with some room to spare. I'm almost positive you could fit your bass drum in the bass drum bag, all your toms in the other bag, and just get a separate zip up case for the snare. My pearl midtown bags are extremely high quality, I'm very pleased with them.

Good suggestion. I guess I didn't think of it because I've never owned a Midtown. I do use AHEAD sticks, however, which is how I learned of their drum cases.

I use AHEAD Armor Cases, which are phenomenal on every count. They might not come precisely in the non-standard dimensions you require, but I'm sure you can find sizes that will serve as adequate fits. Below is a link to AHEAD's website. You can order the cases from any AHEAD retailer.

They look great, but I don’t think of spotted an Australian dealer and the shipping costs to down here are normally more than an airfare.

that could be the go, I’ll just have to see if any of the local drum stores can special order them. (The state of drum retailing in Australia is bad at the moment) no one seems to stock them.

It would probably be easier à la carte, but if you are up for an adventure, grab a 22/10/12/14/16 set, sell the 22", unless you have use for it, and purchase another 12.
If all else fails this looks to be the go haha. I need my band to get good enough to do a US tour just so I can buy gear. Even factoring exchange rates everything is a good 30% cheaper for you guys haha.

They look great, but I don’t think of spotted an Australian dealer and the shipping costs to down here are normally more than an airfare.

that could be the go, I’ll just have to see if any of the local drum stores can special order them. (The state of drum retailing in Australia is bad at the moment) no one seems to stock them.

If all else fails this looks to be the go haha. I need my band to get good enough to do a US tour just so I can buy gear. Even factoring exchange rates everything is a good 30% cheaper for you guys haha.

Ooo... Yes, I hear Australia can be tough (especially right now!). I wish you luck. I'd pull mine out and measure the insides but I'm on the Eastern coast of Florida about to get hit by a storm and have everything packed away for a couple days just in case.

G
Ooo... Yes, I hear Australia can be tough (especially right now!). I wish you luck. I'd pull mine out and measure the insides but I'm on the Eastern coast of Florida about to get hit by a storm and have everything packed away for a couple days just in case.
Good luck with the storm mate, and everything else I guess. Florida looks to be doing it tough these days from down here.

Good luck down there, man. Stay safe and ride it out.

G

Good luck with the storm mate, and everything else I guess. Florida looks to be doing it tough these days from down here.

Good luck down there, man. Stay safe and ride it out.

Thanks! Even though I'm only about 5 miles off the ocean (not sure of the kilometer conversion, sorry @Griffin. Wait, do you guys use K or M? lol) I'm slightly above halfway up the coast from the bottom. With the storm's current weakening it shouldn't be much by the time it gets up to me later tomorrow afternoon into evening. This is the smallest hurricane to hit us since I moved in this house a few years ago and those were all fine. Doesn't help I just lost my job two days ago due to downsizing, story for another time. Anyway, Thanks guys!

Ok, I'll stop now. Back to drums haha.

Here are the dimensions from pearl's website for the midtown bag set, I really think these will do the trick for you. Sweetwater (not sure if they ship outside the US) has them for $119us:

"Bag Set includes (2) 27.5"(L) x 15"(W) x 15"(D) multi-drum bags and 18"(W) x 16"(D) bass drum bag."

Here are the dimensions from pearl's website for the midtown bag set, I really think these will do the trick for you. Sweetwater (not sure if they ship outside the US) has them for $119us:

"Bag Set includes (2) 27.5"(L) x 15"(W) x 15"(D) multi-drum bags and 18"(W) x 16"(D) bass drum bag."
Yeah, if I can get a set here they definitely seem to be the go. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I’ll let you know how I shake out.

Doesn't the bag idea kinda negate the idea of the Hip Gig? Guys (like me) don't case or bag a regular kit since I can safely transport them in the cab of my truck (I do now cases though). But life is just easier and time saving without having to bag things up. I would've thought having those little drums was to maximize the portability thing and be able to set them up and break them down as quickly as possible, no? If it's just you transporting them, I'd forego cases and make life easier. They're made to take a little ding here and there ;)

Doesn't the bag idea kinda negate the idea of the Hip Gig? Guys (like me) don't case or bag a regular kit since I can safely transport them in the cab of my truck (I do now cases though). But life is just easier and time saving without having to bag things up. I would've thought having those little drums was to maximize the portability thing and be able to set them up and break them down as quickly as possible, no? If it's just you transporting them, I'd forego cases and make life easier. They're made to take a little ding here and there ;)
Yeah the bags aren’t for every day/gig use, But I’d like the option of bagging them up from time to time. At the moment I just throw them in my boot (trunk) when transporting and they handle it fine. Definitely enjoying the light weight and speed of set up/break down.

I have a Yamaha Manu Katche Hip Gig kit as well. I use a large duffel bag to transport the two toms and snare, and a regular 16" x 16" bag for the bass drum. I put the drums on their sides, separated by foam. Here is the exact bag I use. It works great. The large front pocket can hold a stick bag, or in my case, the floor tom legs, tom arm and bass drum lifter.

Back