Gibraltar 9706 snare stand

Doraemon

Does anyone have this or another with that Ultra Adjust basket? I spent days researching and finally thought this was the one I'd like to buy, but then I saw that one review on Sweetwater saying it won't work with 10 lugs. Wouldn't they state if it's incompatible? I don't really understand what they mean... "If you use a 10 lug snare, you have to nearly bottom out the basket to fit it. This leaves the snare wires about only 1/4" from the base of the basket, which can cause some serious damage" Is this a thing?

There is no reason a snare basket wont work with a 10 lug snare other than the person using it. A snare basket has 3 arms, that's 120* between the arms. A 10 lug snare has lugs every 36*. 36x3=108 and 36x4=144. There is no reason that the snare (or basket) cant be rotated so that the tabs of the basket fit between the lugs.

Does anyone have this or another with that Ultra Adjust basket? I spent days researching and finally thought this was the one I'd like to buy, but then I saw that one review on Sweetwater saying it won't work with 10 lugs. Wouldn't they state if it's incompatible? I don't really understand what they mean... "If you use a 10 lug snare, you have to nearly bottom out the basket to fit it. This leaves the snare wires about only 1/4" from the base of the basket, which can cause some serious damage" Is this a thing?
I read the same review and I concluded that it's user error not the product. If I can get a 10 lug 6.5" deep snare into a single braced no name $12 snare stand with no problems, that GIbraltar will do the same but last a lot longer.

There is no reason a snare basket wont work with a 10 lug snare other than the person using it. A snare basket has 3 arms, that's 120* between the arms. A 10 lug snare has lugs every 36*. 36x3=108 and 36x4=144. There is no reason that the snare (or basket) cant be rotated so that the tabs of the basket fit between the lugs.
I love your maths explanation! I was trying to imagine all the geometry in my head. Maybe he had extra wide lugs?

I love your maths explanation! I was trying to imagine all the geometry in my head. Maybe he had extra wide lugs?
Maybe. They could have been offset and on a piccolo also. No idea. He also blamed the stand for breaking 2 sets of wires. That's a tension and pounding the drum thing, not a stand thing.

So, I got the stand today, it's great really, but the review was true. Seeing is believing.. It can't be turned without having a lug/tension rod under an arm claw. For me two arms are right before and after a lug and the third is in the middle, before tightening. Then one becomes super close (partly on the curve), one on top of a tension rod hole and one free in center. If I move it on the other side of the lug bump then the second gets free and the problem just jumps to the next arm. The arms are 1" wide and there's only about 3" clearance between the lugs (that are 5" apart with 2" hole-curve), so this is the same all 360 degrees around. I don't know what to do. If the 2 arms that fall on the curved part are tight, the arm in a center is still kinda loose (since it's at a smaller radius). Should I just leave it not holding the snare? Or clamp down on the curvy part/rod? It's not like it will fly away vertically.. I like that the stand itself if very stable.

Have you tried to rotate the snare in every possible combination? Put one arm between the snare butt and a lug?

Have you tried to rotate the snare in every possible combination? Put one arm between the snare butt and a lug?
Yes, there aren't that many options, if one is just before, one will be just after, in any other way it goes on top. Here's an illustration I just made:
arms.jpg

Just wanted to point out that not all snare baskets have three evenly spaced arms.

So, I got the stand today, it's great really, but the review was true. Seeing is believing.. The arms are 1" wide
My Pearl Chad Smith is a 10 lug ..... and it fits fine on my Yamaha 600 series stand ..... but the arms are only 3/4" wide. That might be the catch. That 1/4" x 3 gives you 3/4" of wiggle room.

Now mind you, I didn't know this was a problem. I have a 10 lugger and it works on my snare stand. However, in doing a Google search ..... you are not alone in your problem. Some stands seem to not work with 10 luggers (or not well). Enough to find internet discussions on said subject.

One stand that I read works well is the Ludwig Atlas Pro.

Yes, there aren't that many options, if one is just before, one will be just after, in any other way it goes on top. Here's an illustration I just made:
View attachment 100128
i've encountered this as well on a few different snares, but i tilt mine slightly toward me, so as long as the two closest arms don't allow the snare to tip or fall over, i just let the third upper arm stay slightly loose, and treat the stand more as a cradle than a clamp

funny enough, i've been thinking of buying this stand recently, but it might not be better than what i already have, so...

I have a Yamaha 700 series stand, it holds each of my snare drums just fine. I also have a Pearl and a no-name (possibly Gibraltar) and all work fine also.

This stand sounds odd...:unsure:

Does anyone have this or another with that Ultra Adjust basket? I spent days researching and finally thought this was the one I'd like to buy, but then I saw ,that one review on Sweetwater saying it won't work with 10 lugs. Wouldn't they state if it's incompatible? I don't really understand what they mean... "If you use a 10 lug snare, you have to nearly bottom out the basket to fit it. This leaves the snare wires about only 1/4" from the base of the basket, which can cause some serious damage" Is this a thing?
Yep your correct! It's crazy I know. I can get an old 8 lug to fit and an old 10lug slingerland 6in deep snare to fit, but none of my DWs will fit, rests on one of the lugs no matter how many times you spin it around. I've returned them!

I have a Yamaha 700 series stand, it holds each of my snare drums just fine. I also have a Pearl and a no-name (possibly Gibraltar) and all work fine also.

This stand sounds odd...:unsure:
Yeah, I have a Yamaha, Sonor, Pearl, and a Mapex they all will accommodate a 10lug. The Mapex is the best! (and it's black!) It's a true ball adjustment stand. The Gibraltar seems a little cheap, I've got older Gibraltar hardware and it's solid.

Tama snare stands have one arm offset. The stand looks a bit weird without a drum on it, but every drum fits perfectly. You can also rotate the basket independently of the tilter, or lock it in place if you prefer.

Tama snare stands have one arm offset. The stand looks a bit weird without a drum on it, but every drum fits perfectly. You can also rotate the basket independently of the tilter, or lock it in place if you prefer.
THIS! Even the lower end Tama snare stands (like the Stage Master) are excellent quality and have the offset arm/rotatable basket feature. I would go with one of those.

Back