GIANT BEAT VERSATILITY

My expectations were what my cymbal.com had put up. I imagine little as possible e.q. was used as not to create an unrealistic near field acoustical quality. For half a grand nearly I can't TRY to like what I'm using..its there or it isn't. I was hoping someone would have a similar reaction to the 24 Giant beat. Every 24 giant beat I've heard.via YouTube sounded great..but in person?..what a huge disappointment. The 24 2002 I'd played months ago eclipsed the giant beat. I'll get Tommy at Memphis drumshop to do a trade. This giant beat is headed back TODAY.

In my experience all the Paistes I've purchased have sounded pretty much like the sound files. I don't have any Giant Beats but I do have Big Beats which are in the same zone. It strikes me as super weird that this would happen.

In my experience all the Paistes I've purchased have sounded pretty much like the sound files. I don't have any Giant Beats but I do have Big Beats which are in the same zone. It strikes me as super weird that this would happen.
You and me both!..believe me I'm with you 100% on your thoughts. Paiste more than most have ALWAYS been nats ass close with 20 cymbals of the same line. I wasn't getting the warmth I'd heard on YouTube's various clips. My 24 giant beat really did remind me of some camber rides I'd played years ago. I didn't play the ride 60 seconds and I KNEW. I want anything BUT to ship this back. It's 2002ville next and I've already played a 24 at guitar center...beautiful! ride...no mystery drama.

Pretty strange. The 24 GB I had was a beautiful sounding cymbal.
Something went wrong somewhere with the one you got. :(
I don't think anything is wrong?..it just didn't translate well (with me) from the demo to my ears in person. Now...the 24" 2002 I'd played at Guitar Center a year ago absolutely! matches what I'm hearing from YouTube demo's. The Giant beat although nice was washier..thinner sounding..the body of the demo was is warmer..fuller. I'm using a zildjian Vinnie Colaiuta on the G.B. so nothing weird there. The 14"2002 sound edge hats I played at G.C. again..matches all YouTube demo's

I don't think anything is wrong?..it just didn't translate well (with me) from the demo to my ears in person. Now...the 24" 2002 I'd played at Guitar Center a year ago absolutely! matches what I'm hearing from YouTube demo's. The Giant beat although nice was washier..thinner sounding..the body of the demo was is warmer..fuller. I'm using a zildjian Vinnie Colaiuta on the G.B. so nothing weird there. The 14"2002 sound edge hats I played at G.C. again..matches all YouTube demo's
Me, I think it's possible to get a different cymbal then the audio sample.

I would like to ask a cymbal maker how much harder it is to produce a batch of closely similar large ride like a 24", compared to a batch of smaller size like 20". One cymbal smith might remove more or less material then the previous smith for the same model, making 2 different batches.

In astronomy, mirror making, the price and difficulty grows about exponentially with the size of the mirror. Producing a precise 20" mirror is tremendously more work then producing a precise 10" mirror. The mirror maker producing the 20" needs to have almost a lifetime of experience.

I wonder if it's the same kind of thing with very large rides..

Me, I think it's possible to get a different cymbal then the audio sample.

I would like to ask a cymbal maker how much harder it is to produce a batch of closely similar large ride like a 24", compared to a batch of smaller size like 20". One cymbal smith might remove more or less material then the previous smith for the same model, making 2 different batches.

In astronomy, mirror making, the price and difficulty grows about exponentially with the size of the mirror. Producing a precise 20" mirror is tremendously more work then producing a precise 10" mirror. The mirror maker producing the 20" needs to have almost a lifetime of experience.

I wonder if it's the same kind of thing with very large rides..
The answer grasshoppah is yes.

@Bozozoid

I am just trying to add valuable and rich ideas and saving this discussion from a premature death. Also because I would like to know the fate of that large ride. :)

Did they take back your Giant Beat?

And what about the idea that the sound of it is possibly not highly relevant behind the kit if it's good for recording and if it could be awesome in front of an audience?

@Bozozoid

I am just trying to add valuable and rich ideas and saving this discussion from a premature death. Also because I would like to know the fate of that large ride. :)

Did they take back your Giant Beat?

And what about the idea that the sound of it is possibly not highly relevant behind the kit if it's good for recording and if it could be awesome in front of an audience?
I'm waiting for return authorization this morning. Tommy at Memphis drumshop is a gem of a guy to work with. I NEVER send anything back EVER until now. There may be a restocking fee???. This was a cymbal that was demoed. Tommy mentioned that the player..sticks used etc can indeed cause a cymbal played by someone else to sound unlike the one received. I've heard the 2002's so it will be no surprise. I'll keep you posted.

I'm waiting for return authorization this morning. Tommy at Memphis drumshop is a gem of a guy to work with. I NEVER send anything back EVER until now. There may be a restocking fee???. This was a cymbal that was demoed. Tommy mentioned that the player..sticks used etc can indeed cause a cymbal played by someone else to sound unlike the one received. I've heard the 2002's so it will be no surprise. I'll keep you posted.
Ok ok nice nice, I am sure they will take it back.

I'll be here to follow that story!

Ok ok nice nice, I am sure they will take it back.

I'll be here to follow that story!
A lad named Jameson returned my text. Returning it is cool. He mentioned refund minus shipping cost but I'm not interested in a refund. I need the 2002 24...NOT Alex Van-halens 24 paiste..im not crazy about that model. The 2002 ride 24 is the bomb!. I ship giant back..and get the 2002. I just hope Memphis drumshop realizes I'm not a fickle 16 year old returning 9 rides befor I settle for a throne. NOT my style. I would take up to much time here but there is something Eric Slick said about the 24 giant as well as Abe Laboriel Jr that went right over my head until I played it personally but their comments should have raised a flag (for me). Oh well..over to FedX after work tomorrow. 24 2002 ride..come to papa.

The 2002 24" :) I guess you must think about it every 5 minutes of the day?

3LN31b6.png

The 2002 24" :) I guess you must think about it every 5 minutes of the day?

3LN31b6.png
Every (4) minutes. I've played a 22 for a decade and liked it quite alot. The 24 is just in another galaxy. When your doing a straight power shuffle the 24 is kind of like an? well? An earth mover. A freight train..but a pretty one. You've just caused my heart to race showing me my bride to be. It's a Picasso. If I never played drums I'd buy this cymbal to put beside my bed so that when I woke up I could tap it with my zildjian Vinnie stick and know that God exists.

A lad named Jameson returned my text. Returning it is cool. He mentioned refund minus shipping cost but I'm not interested in a refund. I need the 2002 24...NOT Alex Van-halens 24 paiste..im not crazy about that model. The 2002 ride 24 is the bomb!. I ship giant back..and get the 2002. I just hope Memphis drumshop realizes I'm not a fickle 16 year old returning 9 rides befor I settle for a throne. NOT my style. I would take up to much time here but there is something Eric Slick said about the 24 giant as well as Abe Laboriel Jr that went right over my head until I played it personally but their comments should have raised a flag (for me). Oh well..over to FedX after work tomorrow. 24 2002 ride..come to papa.
I'm curious about the Eric Slick/Abe Laboriel Jr comments....is there a link you could provide? Even paraphrasing would be cool. I got my 24" GB yesterday and am not in the least disappointed. I listened, recorded, recorded back to back with my Foundry Reserve, listened, and it gives me the difference i was hoping for. I also went with a 19" multipurpose. Seemed like just different enough from the usual 18 and 20. It's surprisingly lower pitched than i had expected, but has a really nice decay that i don't get with my Meinl crashes, which is exactly what i was hoping for. I just traded my Big Beat hats for some 15" GB hats so my need for some consistency is complete!

I'm curious about the Eric Slick/Abe Laboriel Jr comments....is there a link you could provide? Even paraphrasing would be cool. I got my 24" GB yesterday and am not in the least disappointed. I listened, recorded, recorded back to back with my Foundry Reserve, listened, and it gives me the difference i was hoping for. I also went with a 19" multipurpose. Seemed like just different enough from the usual 18 and 20. It's surprisingly lower pitched than i had expected, but has a really nice decay that i don't get with my Meinl crashes, which is exactly what i was hoping for. I just traded my Big Beat hats for some 15" GB hats so my need for some consistency is complete!
The 19" is real nice and different. I use it as a crash ride on a 13/16/22 set with 16 and 18 2002s thins. Thats my LZ1 set.

On YouTube when you type in 24" giant beat some demo clips show up. I just clicked on the two. When Abe said the cymbal is whatever he wants it to be..a crash..a ride etc it's all of that. When I played the cymbal in my living room I could instantly tell that I wanted more ride definition. It's when Eric slick said that he sometimes uses gaff tape on the bottom in the studio for more definition. Both of these comments went right over my head until I played it and the light bulb went on. I did however like the crashability of it but I figured since I'm getting 20 and 22" 2002 crash cymbals I'd leave crashing to those guys. The ride?..i just wanted more definition. The Giant (for me) wanted to swell to quick. The bell was ok..but not heavenly.

I use a small set up occasionally that is very versatile it consists of :
15” Paiste 602 Modern Essentials hihats
18” Paiste 602 thin crash
20” Paiste 602 Medium ride .
The 602 20” Medium ride crashes beautifully and has a beautiful sweet ping and a nice bell .

I need the 2002 24...NOT Alex Van-halens 24 paiste..im not crazy about that model. The 2002 ride 24 is the bomb!
This makes perfect sense. The 24" Alex Van Halen ride and the 24" Giant Beat multi are kinda' similar sounding to me. I happen to love the washiness but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Glad you're gonna' get the one you want. Let us know how it goes. (y)

My FedEx tracking# informed me that Memphis drumshop received the return at 1:41 Friday. Everything has went fairly smooth but returning anything is a small hassle. Just the texting..communicating..the this and that of it all. Going back and relistening to the recorded sound demoed by Slick and Laboriel Jr the 24 I got just did not at all measure up. Im not crazy so I'm standing my ground on that issue. The 24 2002 WILL be perfect as I've played it befor. Even if by some far out reason it wasn't I'm living with it. NOW..the communication of the replacement starts..people..DO NOT return anything if at all humanly possible. I have no patience for it all. SO..when the communication is over I'll have the 2002 by the middle of next week. I'll also order a brick of vinnie 5B's. Until then.

Pretty strange. The 24 GB I had was a beautiful sounding cymbal.
Something went wrong somewhere with the one you got. :(
The 24" Giant Beat is the best "Ride" I've ever heard. Lots of lads are looking for ping, it does have some ping but the wash overbears it, so some might be turned off to it. For those the 2002's might be better, I have 2002's too, but I find the crashes better than the rides which are to heavy for my tastes. I use the 22" 2002 ride on my set with many toms so I can play VH, Rush, Police and Metallica stuff on, the 24" Giant Beat is on my big set for classic 70's, mostly Bonzo stuff.

A lad named Jameson returned my text. Returning it is cool. He mentioned refund minus shipping cost but I'm not interested in a refund. I need the 2002 24...NOT Alex Van-halens 24 paiste..im not crazy about that model.

The AVH ride is essentially a 24" Giant Beat dressed up to look like a 2002. I listened to several and couldn't come up with a lick of difference between them with the exception that the AVH ride might have just slightly more ping on average.

As to your specific Giant Beat not sounding good, Paiste, while very consistent overall, is not immune from an odd cymbal here or there sounding drastically different from the rest. I've had a couple like that - it seems more prevalent in the smaller (~16") and larger (~24") ends of the spectrum.

Anyway, enjoy your new 2002!

I finally got to go at this setup in our rehearsal space. I was extremely happy with the sound and feel. 24, 19 and 15" hats. The 24 and 19 worked well together. I put two small strips of gaff tape under the ride, just touching the bell, and it killed just enough of the wash to bring out as much stick as i wanted and still sounded amazing as a crash. All that being said, i was most impressed with the hats. I'd never played giant beat hats before and only traded my Big Beats for them because they were a return at my local shop. Not a single stick mark on them for a great price. They sounded flat out amazing. I had no real expectations, but was blown away. Overall i couldn't be more impressed with the sounds i was getting out of this small setup. Well done Paiste!

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 4
Back