GIANT BEAT VERSATILITY

TheLowerTownSound

Hey all, i'd like to put a minimalist cymbal setup together for my stoner/psychadelic band. We're a trio, and not super loud but the guitar player plays an SG through a Garnet, so there's some bottom end happening.
I want to use 15" hats, and 18" or 20 crash, and a 24" ride and thats it. I like dynamics, and we have lots of ups and downs to our songs. I like my ride to be able to be as jazzy as Bill Ward and as heavy as Bill Ward.......We kind of go from 70's Pink Floyd to Kyuss at the extreme's. I love Paiste and i'm leaning towards Giant Beats. Possibly even the 26" ride. Because its 2" more amazing than the 24".
My questions is do Giant Beats have the volume for this (we won't be playing any stadiums, ever) and does anyone have any strong feelings about the 24" ride over the 26". Just curious as there seems to be lots of GB fans and i my Paiste experience is with Big Beats so anyone that can contribute anything i should know about the Giant Beats would be appreciated. Or if there's another Paiste line i should consider that would be great as well. Thanks for any contribution!

I have a 18, 20, 24 Giant Beat setup. I used the 15" GB Hats for a while, but switched them out for 15" 2002 SoundEdges. The GB hats were lacking some heft when competing with the guitar amps in a rock setting.

The GBs are versatile and can do most genres except I wouldn't recommend for metal.

I played live and recorded with this setup and I feel they give the maximum versatility in a minimalist package.

The 24 Ride is godlike and is plenty big enough. I haven't tried the 26, but I don't think I would want to deal with it.

To me, a 26" is just too big to be versatile. It'll do a few things well, but not much else. The volume, wash, and slow reaction time of a cymbal that size should be taken into consideration.

Plus, do you really wanna gig with a 26? It would be unwieldy in many vehicles, and you'd have to buy a cymbal bag large enough for it.
I was hoping someone would talk me down from my 26" ledge. It just seemed like there might be some volume benefit to it, or i was just telling myself that to justify considering it. My main concern is obviously versatility with a smaller setup, so the more usable the cymbal is the better. I also like to dabble in americana, indy type stuff and i'd like anything i buy to be as transferable as possible by me changing up my playing, and using rods, mallets etc.

I've been youtubing ride cymbals for a month!. I'm about as particular as an earthling gets without being subject to a straight jacket. Please believe me when I tell you that the Paiste 24" giant beat ride won out over dozens and dozens of the most decorated ride cymbals of all time. I call Mike at Sweetwater to nab the last 24 ride available as of 2:00 this afternoon and it was gone!. In two hours after I left work it's no longer available. At 6:51 I'm still! Upset. My dream cymbal out of my clutches today. I am MORE than upset. I need a beer! right now.

I've been youtubing ride cymbals for a month!. I'm about as particular as an earthling gets without being subject to a straight jacket. Please believe me when I tell you that the Paiste 24" giant beat ride won out over dozens and dozens of the most decorated ride cymbals of all time. I call Mike at Sweetwater to nab the last 24 ride available as of 2:00 this afternoon and it was gone!. In two hours after I left work it's no longer available. At 6:51 I'm still! Upset. My dream cymbal out of my clutches today. I am MORE than upset. I need a beer! right now.
I know the feeling. Like someone else is dancing with your girl...there've been two used 24" i hesitated on in the last two weeks. I was told both times they were literally sold hrs before. At least now i'm committed so i can keep an eye out. At the very least i can buy new if the fever gets too much.

Just bought a 24", so that scratches that itch. How do people feel about the 20" thin vs the 20" multi?
Oh no!..are there various editions of the giant beat 24?..such as 1-ride..2-multi..3-crash ride. This is ALL I need for even more confusion. I'm being fitted for a straight jacket rrreeeal soon.

I use a 20" multi GB for a ride/crash and it's perfect.

I was hoping someone would talk me down from my 26" ledge. It just seemed like there might be some volume benefit to it, or i was just telling myself that to justify considering it. My main concern is obviously versatility with a smaller setup, so the more usable the cymbal is the better. I also like to dabble in americana, indy type stuff and i'd like anything i buy to be as transferable as possible by me changing up my playing, and using rods, mallets etc.
My "big ride" is a 22" 60s Zildjian, 3110 grams. It gets loud enough to work as a crash, has nice wash and a decent bell, and sustains as long as desired, maybe more. :D

I'd think it would work well in a stoner rock context- I wouldn't say it excels at anything, but it's been really good with whatever I've tried. Also, was not expensive. ;)

Oh no!..are there various editions of the giant beat 24?..such as 1-ride..2-multi..3-crash ride. This is ALL I need for even more confusion. I'm being fitted for a straight jacket rrreeeal soon.
AFAIK, the 24" is only available in the multi.

I need help...QUICK. My 24" giant beat arrived today. I opened it...put it on a stand and immediately thought 22" Camber ride at best. I tried various sticks...listened at various distances..from the bottom?..nice..the drivers seat was real disappointing. I listened to these for a MONTH..befor buying. Bell is nice..not orgasmic but OK. I am as down as I've been in years. Throw me a lifeline Drummer world.

I need help...QUICK. My 24" giant beat arrived today. I opened it...put it on a stand and immediately thought 22" Camber ride at best. I tried various sticks...listened at various distances..from the bottom?..nice..the drivers seat was real disappointing. I listened to these for a MONTH..befor buying. Bell is nice..not orgasmic but OK. I am as down as I've been in years. Throw me a lifeline Drummer world.
I never expect a cymbal to sound like something I’ve been listening to. Anything I’m listening to is affected by the mics, pre’s, compression, reverb etc before it comes out my monitors. The entire signal chain. Don’t pass judgement yet. Sometimes the expectation is greater than the result could ever be…to your ears. How does it feel to play? When you record it at home/with your band how does it sound in comparison to your previous rides? How does it sound in the context of the MUSIC you’re making?
I don’t believe gear is supposed to stack up to a sound file or demo video played by professional musicians. If it makes me want to play more and sounds good in a musical context it’s a good buy. I never judge until I can hear it recorded.
Live with it a bit, maybe have someone else play it and sit way back and listen and see if you’d enjoy the sound if you heard it in another band and disregard the demo videos you’ve been comparing.
If it’s still not right maybe move it on, but I feel like it’s a classic cymbal for a reason.
Just the 2 cents of someone who’s gotten rid of great gear because of unreal expectations, not because of disappointing gear.

My expectations were what my cymbal.com had put up. I imagine little as possible e.q. was used as not to create an unrealistic near field acoustical quality. For half a grand nearly I can't TRY to like what I'm using..its there or it isn't. I was hoping someone would have a similar reaction to the 24 Giant beat. Every 24 giant beat I've heard.via YouTube sounded great..but in person?..what a huge disappointment. The 24 2002 I'd played months ago eclipsed the giant beat. I'll get Tommy at Memphis drumshop to do a trade. This giant beat is headed back TODAY.

Did you make a simple recording of the Giant Beat you bought?
The cymbal you hear 'out there' is not what you hear behind a kit, or play along in a band.
I'd say many cymbals sound better meters away.
Up close Idon't really care for the sound of any standard Zildjian A ride but they sound awesome out front and playing in a band.

Back