Ghost notes NOT on snare?

Hi all,

Next up in my series of fairly mundane questions about drum notation is this one.
Has anyone seen a ghost note written not on a snare?

I've got a couple of beats I'm notating where it seems to make sense to notate the odd quiet hit not on a snare drum as a ghost note - on a tom or a hihat, for example.
I've not seen it done before so I've generally gone the other way instead - notating the other hits as accents and therefore assuming the non-accent is a soft hit.
But if every hit is a medium sort of volume except for one or two it just seems easier to read to make the quiet hits ghost notes.
I understand though that a ghost note is mostly just a snare technique in that you're just kind of quietly setting the snare wires off without making the drum resonate so much. So it's hard to know the best way to write it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

The term "ghost note" gets thrown around a lot these days.

In reality, it's all the same thing. Dynamics. According to the internet, you'd think there was only normal, ghost and accent notes... But again, the real range is almost infinite. The way you hit a drum, how hard, where on the head, which technique... It all makes a big difference.

The famous "sing, sing, sing" is a great song displaying some dynamics on toms as well as other drums.

Yes, that's all very true and pertinent. I just didn't know what the standard convention with notation was since I've never seen a ghost note written in music for drum kit where it's not on the snare. For example, I would wonder whether to write the start of Sing, Sing, Sing with normal tom hits and accents, or ghost notes and normal tom hits, or all three levels of dynamic.

I guess it's mostly academic though, since as you say dynamics have a near infinite range and it can be kind of hard to convey the true sound of something subtle like that tune purely in notation without listening to the track itself.

Back