George Way snare strainer problem

pbm2112

Hi - has anyone any experience with this? I'm finding it impossible to get any snares to lie flat on the drum. There's so much wobble and play in the mechanism that every time you engage the snares it pulls them off to one side or the other. Has anyone dealt with this? THANKS

KamaK

Platinum Member
Can you take a pic of yours?

Mine has what appears to be two nylon bushings that the set-screws fit through.... I've never had an issue with it's operation.

retoxtony

I've also never had problems with my George Way strainer so i'm wondering if yours is missing the nylon washers mentioned above. Thats all i can really think of that could be wrong. Its a pretty simple mechanism so there isnt much to go wrong with it.

pbm2112

Glad others haven't had problems. Yes - it has the washers but still wobbles a lot. Maybe it's just one bad one, but there's still play in it with the washers - 2mm either side perhaps.

pbm2112

Can you take a pic of yours?

Mine has what appears to be two nylon bushings that the set-screws fit through.... I've never had an issue with it's operation.

Please can you tell me, can you rattle that lever side to side or do the washers guide it without play in the movement?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Please can you tell me, can you rattle that lever side to side or do the washers guide it without play in the movement?
The top of the tap, when disengaged, has approximately a half millimeter of play.

If I had the same issue as you, I'd remove the set screws from the side, pull the tap, and see where the cause resides. Understand that there will be some play, but it shouldn't matter because you're on a snare cord.

pbm2112

Thanks for the help. I got some 1mm silky smooth polyester chord that runs through the snare wires without friction so the snares self adjust a bit better. I'm still testing them but I think this is going to be the answer. I'm also trialing 10 strand snares that help a bit.