Gene Krupa

My dad met Gene Krupa years ago. My father played the trumpet and loved the big band stuff. He was so taken buy Gene that he named my older brother after the man. I ended up staying with the drums and I am named after Glen Cambell. :(

This ^^^^^ is SERIOUSLY FUNNY! "I ended up staying with the drums and I am named after Glen Campbell. :( " The "frown face" just makes it...

Anyway... I believe "Sing Sing Sing" had more to do with me taking up drumming than even Ringo did. Just an unbelievably fantastic composition from any standpoint. The feel and dynamics if the drumming should be studied by anyone playing in any generation...

Compliments and respect to Gene Krupa for sure...

For sure, Gene Krupa is one that I attempt to mimic the most. I love playing big band. Buddy is Buddy and all, but Krupa makes it seem fun. My last university jazz band concert the director gave all the seniors an extended solo. I really pulled back back on the complexity and focused instead on on dynamics and playing with the crowd like Krupa seemed to do. Even got the crowd to laugh a couple of times. It felt much more rewarding to play in that way than it does to show off speed and chops. Gene was a showman and the crowds loved him for it. I really wish I had been born early enough to see him play live.

love krupa. interesting to watch his odd style of drumming.

here's some pics.

Attachments

• 123603842502.jpg
    123603842502.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Some Like it Hot, a.k.a. Rhythm Romance with Gene Krupa, Shirley Ross and Bob Hope.jpg
    Some Like it Hot, a.k.a. Rhythm Romance with Gene Krupa, Shirley Ross and Bob Hope.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 75
  • NYC-1945.jpg
    NYC-1945.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 12963852.jpg
    12963852.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1026209959592601745.jpg
    1026209959592601745.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 68
  • 1274361011133n.jpg
    1274361011133n.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 70
Happy B'Day in drummer heaven to the great Gene Bertram Krupa....
Born: January 15, 1909, Chicago, IL
Died: October 16, 1973, Yonkers, NY

The first drummer I remember seeing and being amazed by.

Ditto. In Atlantic City on the Steel Pier in the 60s.

Just finished listening to a CD of Gene. To me he was the epitome of rhythm and showmanship. Not as technical as Buddy but a hell of a lot more fun and innovative. Thanks Gene for giving us tunable toms, hi hats, and drumming with a smile while making it look so easy.

Always liked Gene way more than Buddy...my "Trinity" in percussion is Gene Krupa - Neil Peart - John Pratt

interesting that his b-day is roughly a week from Neils death day...I hope they are in heaven together talking shop

I feel like there have been some "cornerstone" guys who really turned the idea of drum set around.

James "Red Happy" Bolton sort of started it in a way, or whoever was the first New Orleans guy to put marching drums on the ground and play them by himself

Krupa was the first to elevate the idea of showmanship, and was probably the first to sell the drum set to a larger market (?)

I would say Max Roach might have been the cornerstone "prog" guy(?) Or Art Blakey?

Rich was the cornerstone guy for speed and flash

Ringo was the second cornerstone for selling the kit to an even larger audience

Bonham and Peart elevated what Ringo was doing, but were (in my opinion) better players as well

I think that Charlie Benante or Dave Lombardo were the next cornerstones of speed

sort of a thing that goes through my mind...who were turning points in the world of drum set?

Man am I glad I stumbled upon this...

that made my day...Krupa is still my number one most favorite drummer....first level of my foundation. The Rock!!

Holy Crap...check this out!!

Rockin' his 20x18" floor tom!

geenekrupa5.jpg

Last edited:
Because of TV I grew up knowing of Buddy Rich first, but when I really started listening Gene Krupa was it.
The style, the fun, the skill... man. Just the shizz and all of it.

Plus, this may be my favorite version of Caravan. Bass by Kenny O'Brien.

Back