For the Colonel: Night in Tunesia

Thanks for that Bernhard! I always love hearing some Dex - especially when it's something of his I haven't heard before (I think I have most everything he did on disc - save for some imports).

I actually liked this - but probably more so because of the level of musicianship involved - but also - did you notice during Dexter's solo how they stopped going between the two feels? I mean - it's not that I don't like the changes or anything - just the arbitrary switching between styles that in most cases, I feel, does not lend itself to a great artistic statement, but rather a little window into the time in jazz where latin influences were brought in. I've heard Night in Tunisia done in a wide variety of ways - but when it's done in the standard switching back-and-forth, I find myself not enjoying it. It's probably me just over-analyzing everything rather than trying to sit back and just enjoy, but that's my thing I guess.

Thanks again for the clip. Humair looks especially relaxed - I love that they actually show some angles of his right hand on the ride cymbal up close!

Also - the tempo they play it at - there's very little difference in the 8th note feel between the two styles - but rather Humair's sound source and the bassist's lines between a set part and walking. (as soon as I posted I started analyzing more! Ah! I can't stop!)

I'm not an analyst like you - but i just like the way they change the rhythms and feels - very soft. Contrary to that, what most of those amateurbands are doing.

I made this post and mentioned your name, because it was such a coincidence that at the same minute i put up this Humair Video, i read your post about Nights.....

by the way: what a wonderful sax player this Travis Laplante - especially set 2 ....

Bernhard

Yeah - Travis is something else. I haven't played with him in...oh god - 5 years now. It's probably THE thing I hate most about living on the west coast now: Not getting to play with Trav everyday. He's in NYC playing a ton. And that stuff is over 5 years old - He's really getting his own sound now.

His band Little Women played out here a few months back - it was great seeing him. Next time he's on tour out here he's playing my gallery and we're going to record some new stuff.

Glad you like his playing Bernhard

Nice stuff, Bernard. Thanks for bringing Humair back. I had forgotten that he has that open handed, command of the drums set thing down. I've just been working on that Latin groove he does. I am going to be looking into him. He's one of those guys who just makes it look so easy.

I have been having a problem playing the videos lately. Do I need to update my plug-ins?

Awesome clip, thanks Bernhard!
Dexter really makes it sound "Big Time"-like in the A part, like a chewing gum.

Great way of playing this beautiful tune. Daniel Humair looks relaxed...and at some spots it doesn`t even sound so old-fashioned. It has its contemporary (regarding the 21st c.) spots which I love and was a bit surprised of at first.

Great tune and interpretation!!

Karl

Awesome.

We are doing "Night in Tunesia" in our school's jazz band right now.

Back