Flat-base hi-hats...meh

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I really like flat base stands, especially cymbal stands. Wanting to keep a consistent look, I bought a flat-base Gibraltar hi-hat (used) a few months back. It works fine and is light enough but the action is a little stiff and the design is just a bit weird. I've come to the conclusion that tripods are just a simpler and better design for a hi-hat. I traded in some gear today and came home with a used Yamaha single braced hi-hat. It's easily the best hi-hat stand I've ever played. Smooth, simple, no BS. I'm going to keep the Gibraltar for now but the Yamaha just blows it away, feel-wise.

I think even though some people (myself included) like to keep a consistent look one way or the other, the simple truth is mixing flat-base with tripod gets the best positioning results. It's much easier to get stands in close together even if it might look odd. Yeah, I think about silly stuff like this.

Perhaps if you tried a better flat-based hi hat stand. That Gibraltar one is a little wonky. Some folks have had great results with the Ludwig and DW ones, have you tried those? I particularly like the Ludwig one, and may consider getting all flat-based Ludwig stuff if the time comes.

Right now I mix Yamaha 600 and 700 stuff, that works really well, and the weight is the same as the new flat-based stuff.

To be honest, no I haven't tried the others. I'm sure they work great and are probably better than the Gibraltar. But I just think a standard tripod is the way to go with a hi-hat. It just makes the linkage simpler. I'm totally in love with the feel of the Yamaha (700) so I think the look thing just lost its importance for me. Sold on Yammie (not that I wasn't before).

...the newest gibralter flat base hh stands (with direct drive) look suspiciously similar to dw's flat base hh stands...now that dw has acquired gibralter, one wonders whether the same taiwan plant makes both brands...

Yeah I was looking at flat based stuff but the hi-hats look dumb, and they don't allow for a double bass pedal (I'm sure someone will find that amusing).

I prob have the same single braced yamaha you've got there but when I setup a double braced hat stand I notice it's even more solid feeling, which is important if it's a pedal operated thing. They've actually become my pref.

I have an older model Gibraltar flat base hi-hat stand. I use it with my vintage kits along with matching snare and cymbal stands. I have no issues with the hardware. I have been using it for several years.
I am told that the newer model Gibraltar flat hat stand is improved over the the stand that I have.

All gear is subjective, and what is good for one person may not be good for another. It is important to carefully select gear that works for you.

I have several different style hi-hat stands that I use for different applications.

Last edited:
I own an older model DW6000 flat-base hi-hat stand. It has two legs spread to the rear so as to accommodate double pedals. It's a little lightweight and can wobble a scoche, but I use 16" hi-hats on it with no problems. I lucked into the stand (gift from a friend)... you might have to dig to find one.

I own an older model DW6000 flat-base hi-hat stand. It has two legs spread to the rear so as to accommodate double pedals. It's a little lightweight and can wobble a scoche, but I use 16" hi-hats on it with no problems. I lucked into the stand (gift from a friend)... you might have to dig to find one.

I think this is the one you are referring to?

dw-6500.jpg

Premier and several other makers produced stands like this with one of the legs either extending under the foot pedal, or incorporated into the pedal. Seems to me that this would be the most workable and sturdy design. Of course, the actual functioning of the pedal, which is the OP's concern, will vary according to the design.

GeeDeeEmm

dw-6500.jpg

Premier and several other makers produced stands like this with one of the legs either extending under the foot pedal, or incorporated into the pedal. Seems to me that this would be the most workable and sturdy design. Of course, the actual functioning of the pedal, which is the OP's concern, will vary according to the design.

GeeDeeEmm

Yup, exactly. It's as good a design as I've seen.

Flat base hat stands seem to work best if you are a drummer who rocks the foot heel/toe style. Just my personal observation. Your results may vary.

dw-6500.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Wow - when did DW start making that? I don't have a concern about double base, and I thought they only made the one with the three flat legs.

That DW looks pretty neat and it definitely solves the double pedal issue. I actually don't mind my Gibraltar and I will still use it. Like I said, it works fine I just think that with flat-base hi-hats they have to get creative to solve issues that just don't exist with a standard tripod.

I don't think double braced is necessary and is overkill for a hi-hat, IMO. The single braced legs are plenty sturdy for me. But of course this is all a matter of personal preference.

I'm just happy I got a near mint used Yammy for cheap. It looks like it's never seen the inside of a hardware bag. :)

Wow - when did DW start making that? I don't have a concern about double base, and I thought they only made the one with the three flat legs.

This was the first 6000 design. They changed it to the current three-leg design after a year or two. I feel pretty lucky to have had one dropped in my lap... it needed a little minor repair and shares a pull rod diameter in common with my PDP hi-hat stand, so i eagerly accepted it. It's great for gigs on surfaces I know will be flat.

Curious to see what might be out there, I looked on eBay and guess what? It looks like this design, like many others DW has had, might be based on a Camco design? Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Absolutely-Superb-Vintage-1967-Camco-Model-800-Flat-Base-Hi-Hat-Stand-w-Clutch-/311377680796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487f8e599c

Back