Finding one's seat

Rock Salad

Silver Member
Been having trouble lately with finding a good balance and seat on the throne. I got kind of caught up in practicing quarter notes on the ride, and also feathering the bass and two and four on the hats. I got pretty comfortable. But I play rock & roll, so I was practicing some songs and transitions and my balance was all off- dribbling my bass drum beater and just off with my R hand steadiness. Repitition helped. I'd like to know of any recommendations re: whether to find one seat or to find different balance for different styles of drumming?

I'd change up sticks before trying to change things like balance up too much. I change up my grip a bit doing different things but balance stays the same.

I’m not sure I follow you. Do you mean that you adjusted your seat To do the non-rock ‘n’ roll stuff? Probably not the best idea if that’s the case. I have found that getting myself comfortable and sticking with it no matter what I do is the ticket. Your mileage may vary but it works for me.

The position of my throne is fixed, period. I never alter it. To "feather" the bass drum, I sometimes switch from heel-up (my standard pedal technique) to heel down, but my throne doesn't move for any reason, nor does my body make significant shifts on it. I feel stable and balanced no matter what I'm playing.

I’m not sure I follow you. Do you mean that you adjusted your seat To do the non-rock ‘n’ roll stuff? Probably not the best idea if that’s the case. I have found that getting myself comfortable and sticking with it no matter what I do is the ticket. Your mileage may vary but it works for me.
The position of my throne is fixed, period. I never alter it. To "feather" the bass drum, I sometimes switch from heel-up (my standard pedal technique) to heel down, but my throne doesn't move for any reason, nor does my body make significant shifts on it. I feel stable and balanced no matter what I'm playing.
The throne is the same but for my normal rock & roll playing I sit more forward and the balance is geared toward big movements with my R leg and an agressive feel. Jazz is the other way round, it's the L foot has got to punch all the time. Also I think I was sitting further back and slouching some to feel "relaxed" and let the hi hat chick/finger snap two's and four's just fall. Just putting it in to words is helping me to have ideas of how to sort this thing out. Thanks for talking it out with me!

The throne is the same but for my normal rock & roll playing I sit more forward and the balance is geared toward big movements with my R leg and an agressive feel. Jazz is the other way round, it's the L foot has got to punch all the time. Also I think I was sitting further back and slouching some to feel "relaxed" and let the hi hat chick/finger snap two's and four's just fall. Just putting it in to words is helping me to have ideas of how to sort this thing out. Thanks for talking it out with me!
Same hear playing jazz the hats are further away from me. I actually move the hat away rather than my seat. It's to get a more relaxed left foot keeping time with the hats.

I move around on my seat, or my posture changes I guess. Ive noticed as things get busy I tend to lean forward, become more interactive with the kit. Slower laid back things get a more relaxed posture, almost slouching.

Swinging back and forth and finding the balance point when using the pedals helps me.

Back