Finally got the special order!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
D1A5538B-A629-4F2F-BB68-CCD5D97F55AC.jpeg3E1248FB-C807-4C98-8D58-3131597370EF.jpeg
It only took 25 weeks but the new clear
Emperor heads for the Vox Telstar kit have arrived! I’m committed to this kit now!

So be aware - if you like the Vox Telstar, you’ll need spare bass drum heads off you want to do some serious gigging. Remo is the only one who will make the extra heads and it’ll take on average 20+ weeks for them to be made. But the looks you get on a gig is worth it. The original white coated head is basically an Ambassador, so I’m looking forward to a thicker sound with the Emperor batter head.

I’ve never gone through a bass drum head in my entire career, but I’ve always carried spare heads anyway. It didn’t feel right gigging this kit without a spare head!

JimmyM

Platinum Member
View attachment 126278View attachment 126279
It only took 25 weeks but the new clear
Emperor heads for the Vox Telstar kit have arrived! I’m committed to this kit now!

So be aware - if you like the Vox Telstar, you’ll need spare bass drum heads off you want to do some serious gigging. Remo is the only one who will make the extra heads and it’ll take on average 20+ weeks for them to be made. But the looks you get on a gig is worth it. The original white coated head is basically an Ambassador, so I’m looking forward to a thicker sound with the Emperor batter head.

I’ve never gone through a bass drum head in my entire career, but I’ve always carried spare heads anyway. It didn’t feel right gigging this kit without a spare head!
Gotta admire your level of commitment to that set.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Gotta admire your level of commitment to that set.
The one time I took it live with the Devo band in a 2500 seat venue it scored on the cool factor. I see a lot of people playing them in controlled conditions on YouTube, but nobody really using them on a gig. Maybe I can help change that.

By the way, the clear Emperor bass drum head sounds much better than the coated Ambassador it comes with. Basically meaning it sounds more like a regular bass drum than it did. It would be nice if Remo made a PowerStroke3 version of this head, but your only choice is the Emperor or an Ebony, front or back. I can see how manufacturing a PS version would be really difficult.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
The one time I took it live with the Devo band in a 2500 seat venue it scored on the cool factor. I see a lot of people playing them in controlled conditions on YouTube, but nobody really using them on a gig. Maybe I can help change that.

By the way, the clear Emperor bass drum head sounds much better than the coated Ambassador it comes with. Basically meaning it sounds more like a regular bass drum than it did. It would be nice if Remo made a PowerStroke3 version of this head, but your only choice is the Emperor or an Ebony, front or back. I can see how manufacturing a PS version would be really difficult.
Ya, I did the same with my boring old round Ludwig kick. Ambassador’s good, not great, although it has a certain charm. But Emperor’s a bass drum head I can get behind.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Having watched the Remo factory video, I'm very curious if this head is actually made by hand. I'm just not seeing having a machine around to bend the hoop, cut the film, form the collar, and glue it all up for one off orders.

It would be nice if Remo made a PowerStroke3 version of this head, but your only choice is the Emperor or an Ebony, front or back. I can see how manufacturing a PS version would be really difficult.
Does Remo sell sheets of the PS material? If so, theres an option.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Having watched the Remo factory video, I'm very curious if this head is actually made by hand. I'm just not seeing having a machine around to bend the hoop, cut the film, form the collar, and glue it all up for one off orders.

Does Remo sell sheets of the PS material? If so, theres an option.
I suppose the ghetto way of doing it would be to cut pieces out of an old bass drum head and find a way to attach those around the edge of the head. But then again, the traditional “drum head and muffling pillows in this bass drum” sounds great as is. Once I stick a mic in there, anything goes 😉

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Nice-no worries now for head replacement when the need arises. That head reminds me of a jelly blob-the magic of mylar. With that odd shape does the bass drums have special internal rings or support?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice-no worries now for head replacement when the need arises. That head reminds me of a jelly blob-the magic of mylar. With that odd shape does the bass drums have special internal rings or support?
No support built into the shell. But the shell is pretty robust. In fact, all three of the shells are built well: a good medium-to-heavy weight, nice edges….these would be considered upscale if it weren’t for the seemingly cheap hardware. But I did replace the tom mount with Yamaha stuff, and the floor tom got Ludwig leg brackets. The spurs are original, and those work fine.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Curious what the cost was for that head compared to typical bass head?
Don’t freak out: $200 each. I bought two, and the original white one lives in the spares box. Considering I got the drums for well-under half of the current pricing, I had enough to cover the heads. I get why nobody is told how much the heads are up front (or how long it would take to make them), but this kit is definitely not for the “I only own one drumset” crowd.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Don’t freak out: $200 each. I bought two, and the original white one lives in the spares box. Considering I got the drums for well-under half of the current pricing, I had enough to cover the heads. I get why nobody is told how much the heads are up front (or how long it would take to make them), but this kit is definitely not for the “I only own one drumset” crowd.

Good for you. I was getting ready to reply with "I would have ordered two." I would have done the exact same thing.

It's good to see someone playing one of these.