Female Chops

Drumdame

Silver Member
A lot of times I'll hear a song that I want to cover and I've only heard it once but I still want to try playing it!

In this video of Tom Petty I'm approximately 8 months into me being a brand new drummer lol. I'll be 70 years Young in less than a month. By videoing when I practice I learn from all my mistakes. I also show my son who's been drumming over 25 years and ask him to critique me.

Please don't mind the drumnastics in the middle of the song I was just playing around. lol

So I am showing you my chops after having an unfortunate accident (neck injury) and being in physical therapy on and off for a year... I'm just having a good time for myself. I'm not here to impress... I'm just having a lot of fun!

ENJOY!

Drummer_D

Last edited:
No Link!!!
Sorry... I tried at least 10 times every which way I could think of and to no avail. I'll ask my son how to do that you guys got to be patient.

Drummer_D

We want a link
Sorry... I tried at least 10 times every which way I could think of and to no avail. I'll ask my son how to do that you guys got to be patient.

Drummer_D

Saw the vid! This is inspiring! You are coming into the forum like gangbusters. Super drummer energy, 70 years young!

Great stamina and awareness of pulse.
Those drum gloves are 🤘.
I think it's cool you have drummers in your family to keep you inspired.
Keep it up. Looking forward to more!

Considering how long you've been playing, you are doing great. Keep it up 🤟🤟🥁🥁🥁 having fun is the key enjoy.

Awesome got first video posted and great progress and having “fun”. Thanks for posting - we’ve got members on here for over a decade and I’ve never seen them play . They may be posers LoL

Saw the vid! This is inspiring! You are coming into the forum like gangbusters. Super drummer energy, 70 years young!

Great stamina and awareness of pulse.
Those drum gloves are 🤘.
I think it's cool you have drummers in your family to keep you inspired.
Keep it up. Looking forward to more!
Thank you. I don't know if you knew this but I have 11 drummers in our family me being the only female and beginning at such a late age in my life but "you're never too old to be Young and never too old to Drum! lol

Drummer_D

Last edited:
we’ve got members on here for over a decade and I’ve never seen them play . They may be posers LoL
I also get excited about this. Once you break that ice you can improve so quickly. Watching and hearing and sharing your own playing without fear.

@Drumdame, It's more inspring than people realize to actually see the humans behind the avatars, playing at their kits.

There's a drummer called Dorothea Taylor, in her 70s. She's been an indie drummer her whole life but went viral just with one video of her explaining some paradiddles. Now she's a big star, and mostly because she inspires drummers in every age group to get up and do it good every single day.

Keep making videos. Even just drumming from home, you can achieve anything.

Awesome job for the amount of time behind the kit. Keep it up !
Having fun is they key otherwise it just becomes work . Your energy is equal to many half your age lol .

I also get excited about this. Once you break that ice you can improve so quickly. Watching and hearing and sharing your own playing without fear.

@Drumdame, It's more inspring than people realize to actually see the humans behind the avatars, playing at their kits.

There's a drummer called Dorothea Taylor, in her 70s. She's been an indie drummer her whole life but went viral just with one video of her explaining some paradiddles. Now she's a big star, and mostly because she inspires drummers in every age group to get up and do it good every single day.

Keep making videos. Even just drumming from home, you can achieve anything.
Thank you for all your encouragement but on a serious note... I know "I Was Born to Be Wild"... when I was in my teens I rembering wanting to be a "Rock Star" then in my early 20's I wanted to be a "Race Car Driver" then I switched over to the "Harley-Davidson scene", then I settled down married my childhood sweetheat, had 4 children and after they were all grown and left home my husband and I had a Healing Ministry in the Church and I had written over 50 inspirational songs with my husband on keyboard (also a former drummer).

There was always a drum kit in my cellar because my late husband and my son both played the drums. Never in a million years did I ever think to go down there and play or even try it until years later.

After my husband died my life felt like it was over... I lost the most important thing in my life, my husband meant the world to me... we known each other for 54 years. I was 12 and he was 15 and I said, "someday when I grow up I'm going to marry that boy"... and I did!

I've always wanted to play an instrument and never in my "Wildest Dreams" thought it would be the drums until about a year-and-a-half ago I went down the cellar, ripped off the sheet that covered the kit, crank the music, pick up a pair of sticks and the rest is history!

Now I eat, sleep and breathe drums, that's all I think about and I wish my husband could have seen me. But now I am so grateful that my son comes every weekend and we Jam together (he's been playing over 25 years) I use his kit and I bought a used kit 3 weeks ago that he uses (he likes that better). I'm so grateful for my son, we are on our way to making many more memories!

And by the way I've seen Dorothea Taylor on America's Got Talent and some of her other videos.

Again thanks for the encouragement!

Drummer_D

Last edited:
I sounds like your timing needs work it's out of wak other than that it's ok . Cheers.
I know that my timing is off because I watch my videos and those are the things that I'm trying work on. I'm very aware of all my mistakes but I'm just in the learning stages... doesn't practice make perfect?

I'd love to see one of your videos when you first started 8 months into it? hope you enjoyed my video!

Drummer_D

Last edited:
Yes I enjoyed the vid they didn't have video players when I started drumming..
Lucky for you!

And if you think that my timing is off on that one wait till you see the video of me on the "Crazy Train"! (Shock To The System by Billy Idol). lol

Drummer_D

Last edited:
Back