favorite groove songs for you drummers?

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
(The pompeii version, not the studio)
Exactly!
To see the shirtless Dave do things with that guitar I'd never heard before was just epic.
And I was always a fan of Nick just letting it all hang out during that part.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like to play the chainsaw part. Especially at Halloween. In a Michael Myers mask. With a real chainsaw.
I dig Jackyl. They are groovy as hell and dont get much love. I really do think the chainsaw made folks think they are a joke.

Michael Myers is one of my heroes. He's right up there with Darth Vader (for president).

someguy01

Gold Member
He's right up there with Darth Vader (for president).
This guy has always had my vote:
brain.jpg
He has never lied about his agenda. He doesn't talk in circles. He's all about world domination. I can get behind that.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I never got into vinyl for vinyl's sake. Cassettes were the big medium when I got to the age where I was paying for my own music, so I had about 600 cassettes back in the day, but they are all gone now. I have always been so transient in my living situation that I did not have the means to have records like that. I also did not really buy into the whole "vinyl uber alles" mentality, especially when CD's came out. My CD collection is sort of outrageous though...roughly around 6000, and is now taking up a majority of the storage unit I have to hold all my crap <---that is a large "mis-investment" from my youth...

currently, I am one of the only ones in my group of friends who have not jumped on the vinyl thing...i have too many other collections I am monitoring...the biggest one being sports cards. I have roughly 75,000 cards between football, baseball and hockey...that is a truly brutal addiction!!

I got into vinyl because it was an easy way to get all the albums I really wanted and CDs were silly expensive for skint student me. There was a used record shop that had a prog section to die for and had anything else you wanted. He used to do bulk discount. I'm gutted that place closed.

Having said that I'm a believer that you should buy an album on the format it was intended to be played on.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
Getaway, yes!
EWF so underappreciated - love the grooves of Singasong and Let your feeling show too ❤
(Meant as a reply to a comment about Getaway)

Last edited:

BruceW

If I took some time, I could probably come up with a list. But the first song that came to mind when reading the opening post is Feelin' Alright, by Joe Cocker.

First time we played it was when we had a keyboard player sitting in with us (we didn't have keys at the time). We didn't rehearse it, the singer had done it in other bands. Two chords, and all groove, and feel.

That keyboard player is now in our band full time, and I just grin everytime we play that song. So basic, but such fun. All groove.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
Chain of fools - Aretha.
Where are we going - Marvin.
Do it again - Steely Dan.
Feeling the same way - Norah Jones (So simple and gentle but it's really got under my skin.)
And this. Can't do the full bass drum (beat box?) groove - I cheat with snare ghost notes - but so compelling and funky...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I got into vinyl because it was an easy way to get all the albums I really wanted and CDs were silly expensive for skint student me. There was a used record shop that had a prog section to die for and had anything else you wanted. He used to do bulk discount. I'm gutted that place closed.

Having said that I'm a believer that you should buy an album on the format it was intended to be played on.

I do miss the old record stores...the ones on Ohio States campus...like the dirty underground ones.

I didn't really grow my CD collection till after my first stint in college for the same reason...

ToneT

Peg-Steely Dan
Heart Of Glass-Blondie
Chant A Psalm-Steel Pulse
Indigo-Billy Cobham
Rhythm People-Steve Coleman
Too Much Information-Police
ABACAB-Genesis
Funk It Up-Sweet
Dr. Funkenstien-Parliament
Blue Matter-John Scofield
Nakenda-Kanda Bongo Man
Emitay-Toure Kunda
Easy Skanking-Bob Marley
Walking On The Moon-Police

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
I never got into vinyl for vinyl's sake. Cassettes were the big medium when I got to the age where I was paying for my own music, so I had about 600 cassettes back in the day, but they are all gone now. I have always been so transient in my living situation that I did not have the means to have records like that. I also did not really buy into the whole "vinyl uber alles" mentality, especially when CD's came out. My CD collection is sort of outrageous though...roughly around 6000, and is now taking up a majority of the storage unit I have to hold all my crap <---that is a large "mis-investment" from my youth...

currently, I am one of the only ones in my group of friends who have not jumped on the vinyl thing...i have too many other collections I am monitoring...the biggest one being sports cards. I have roughly 75,000 cards between football, baseball and hockey...that is a truly brutal addiction!!
Holy moly ... You don't do things by half!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Holy moly ... You don't do things by half!

nope...I started collecting cards in '75ish, and was all in as a kid. Cards and music. I would say that half of that card collection is not super valuable - I am what is known as a "set" collector, where my goal is to get a complete set of base cards; the other half is probably worth something depending on the day; but complete sets of cards - depending on the rookies and other rare cards - can be worth a decent amount

I am definitely obsessive - I know it - so I definitely go all in on a topic...and that is why I have learned to become super selective and careful about what I get into. I actively avoided drinking and drugs for that very reason...well, and many others...but I knew that if I got in, I would go all the way

Rotarded

Songs I lose myself in the groove while playing:

Use Me - Bill Withers
Desire - U2
Long Train Running - Doobie Bros
Home at Last - Steely Dan
Lido Shuffle - Boz Skaggs