Fake/real Ludwig jazz festival snare?

It looks correct to me, but I'm not a super expert. Definitely a desirable finish. The interiors of my 1963 Ludwigs looked similar when I got them, although there were no issues with the re-rings. Mine have the red mufflers, but I think they changed to white in 1968 or so.

All said and done, the picture showing the really wonky re-rings at the seam might scare me away.

It looks correct to me, but I'm not a super expert. Definitely a desirable finish. The interiors of my 1963 Ludwigs looked similar when I got them, although there were no issues with the re-rings. Mine have the red mufflers, but I think they changed to white in 1968 or so.

All said and done, the picture showing the really wonky re-rings at the seam might scare me away.
The ring really didn't look good

As for whether it's real or not, it seems to me too. I'm not an expert either.

I saw several similar ones on ebay, even with the paint running down

Looks like the outer ply has been torn away (9th photo). Here's what one should look like. I'm thinking this has been re-wrapped. In the process of taking the old wrap off, some of the outer ply came with it. And whoever did the job might have messed up the original badge, too. Hence the serial # that makes no sense. Unless you're a good woodworker (and this snare's cheap enough), I'd pass on this one. IMG_3501_3d52ed62-2406-47a8-8d44-0bab3b4f898e_480x480.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Agreed, it's been modded beyond any value as a Ludwig snare. Hoops aren't original. Player's drum, maybe $75 (the hardware is probably worth that.)

^^ Agreed, it's been modded beyond any value as a Ludwig snare. Hoops aren't original. Player's drum, maybe $75 (the hardware is probably worth that.)
Good eye. I didn't notice the hoops before, but those are 2.3mm in the picture, correct? Should be 1.6mm.

Good eye. I didn't notice the hoops before, but those are 2.3mm in the picture, correct? Should be 1.6mm.
Yep! They're useful, just not original.

The big tell is the wrap. It appears to be Bum Wrap which is a picture of genuine wrap but because it is a picture is one dimensional.
Yep, not good.

Back