Export vs Rockstar

I've often wondered what their Call In Savings are like, although I guess never quite enough to actually do so. Anyone have any idea of a ballpark?
$70 off my stealth rack. It was the same "call in savings" deal.

Just wanted to add to this that the hardware is the same across all generations and lines, minus the addition of suspension mounts. Ergo you can buy a 30 year old Export and equip it with new hardware if needed. There are parts galore available.

Good call, I was going to add that but forgot. Both factory brand and compatible 'knock off' options are both plentiful for pretty much any series of pearl drum.

Well, is this truly the fact you have narrowed things down to Exports or Rockstars ? Or is this the fact you want to stick to that price range?

I played an 80's Export kit in Chrome wrap for ~15years......gigged all through college, heck even opened for Hootie and then Soul Asylum with that kit...... it can take a beating and will mic up well enough.

That being said.....if I had to buy a kit <$1000.....it would be a Stage Custom, PDP etc.

Exports are the Toyota Corolla of drums. You can beat the hell out of them but they don't die. Exports were my first kit so I vote for them. They were great drums for that time. I've played on Rockstars plenty of times. Quality wise they are probably equal, nostalgia wise.. Exports win.
@Superman you should do a poll. There’s definitely some brand loyalty/nostalgia. I have never owned a Corolla but I vote for the Rockstars. (y)

I called and it was $100 off the listed price of $1,699.00. So $1599.00 which I think is a great deal for those drums.
5.88% discount, almost enough to cover the sales tax. If you can find a used set in excellent condition from an individual the tax disappears, and like a new car the original buyer takes the hit on loss of value. But some people only buy new and I have nothing against that either, it just costs ~20-30% more for the same thing.

Hmmmm, I need to ponder this one...oh no I don’t!! Here she is: ? ?(y)

View attachment 102344
... the best reason to play drums!:love:?
@Al Strange i just noticed something about your kit. I’ve seen it before and marvel at how ‘clean’ a setup you have. :love: Very symmetrical...except that one of the crashes is on a boom...to get it about 1” closer in. Just curious

@Al Strange i just noticed something about your kit. I’ve seen it before and marvel at how ‘clean’ a setup you have. :love: Very symmetrical...except that one of the crashes is on a boom...to get it about 1” closer in. Just curious
Guilty as charged my eagle eyed amigo...hmmm, now you’ve got me thinking I should use another boom on my left side purely for aesthetic purposes... :unsure: ?(y)

Reactions: J-W
5.88% discount, almost enough to cover the sales tax. If you can find a used set in excellent condition from an individual the tax disappears, and like a new car the original buyer takes the hit on loss of value. But some people only buy new and I have nothing against that either, it just costs ~20-30% more for the same thing.
I should clarify, the 100 isn‘t in itself a ”great deal” but I think 1599 for that set is. I completely agree with you. I feel like under 15% off isn’t worth scrambling over. Musicians Friend sends me a 20% off coupon about once a month saying “we miss you.”

Rockstar or Export is much too vague to answer, because there’s a big difference between the basic Rockstar RK and the last rockstar custom, or the first Export, the EXR, or the one you can buy new today.

When I started playing drums, mid 90’s, it was all between Tama RS, Pearl Export and Premier APK, red white or black !
I got 3 RS and didn’t care much for the Export, I didn’t like the penetrating hardware, I preferred the parallel mounting, and preferred the sound of the Rockstar, I thought it had more bite than the Export. It was more pop on the Pearl side, more metal on the Tama side. Marketing ;)
Time has passed, I got a bunch of hardware problem with the Tama, and I think reliability is on the Export side, and style wise, the Rockstar looks very dated with the squarrish lugs and the huge rack toms.

Guilty as charged my eagle eyed amigo...hmmm, now you’ve got me thinking I should use another boom on my left side purely for aesthetic purposes... :unsure: ?(y)
Or just cut a foot or so off the end of the boom. I've done that to a whole bunch of Kima booms I have (poor man's Pearl).;)

@Superman you should do a poll. There’s definitely some brand loyalty/nostalgia. I have never owned a Corolla but I vote for the Rockstars. (y)
No need for a poll. Exports outsold Rockstars 2-1 and are the best selling drum set of all time. It is only natural that there are more drummers with memories of playing them since more drummers owned them. Like I said, the quality was equal.

Exports outsold Rockstars 2-1 and are the best selling drum set of all time.
Hmmm, is that a fact or something you pulled out of the air? During what time period? I can’t find anything to substantiate or refute such a claim, whether or not it might be true. I think exports are popular with beginners because they come with the hardware and cymbals but I am no expert and could definitely be wrong.

Hmmm, is that a fact or something you pulled out of the air? During what time period? I can’t find anything to substantiate or refute such a claim, whether or not it might be true. I think exports are popular with beginners because they come with the hardware and cymbals but I am no expert and could definitely be wrong.

https://allthingsgear.com/the-worlds-best-selling-drum-kit-returns-reintroducing-the-pearl-export/

I don't remember where I read the 2-1 part, but I read it. Regardless, any google search will tell you Exports are the best selling kit of all time. Neither kit was considered a beginner kit in the 80's or 90's. You didn't have as many options back then.

https://allthingsgear.com/the-worlds-best-selling-drum-kit-returns-reintroducing-the-pearl-export/

I don't remember where I read the 2-1 part, but I read it. Regardless, any google search will tell you Exports are the best selling kit of all time. Neither kit was considered a beginner kit in the 80's or 90's. You didn't have as many options back then.
Thanks for clarification, if you read it somewhere on Google then it must be true :ROFLMAO:. I didn’t say that they were beginner kits, only that they were popular with beginners.

Thanks for clarification, if you read it somewhere on Google then it must be true :ROFLMAO:. I didn’t say that they were beginner kits, only that they were popular with beginners.

Honestly, I come here to discuss things with other drummers and read their opinions on various topics. It is something I enjoy and have for many years. I don't come here to argue. If you don't agree with my opinions or what I write, just ignore me. Have a nice day.

Back