Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Andy

Honorary Member
Deceptively simple - here's one that challenged me a bit on feel / bass drum consistency. Recorded in our homes, mostly on mobile phone cameras & a variety of audio gear. A different arrangement, & a deliberately more rock / earthy vibe compared to the original.

We ran through this a couple of times before lockdown, but never played it right through, so built as we went along to some degree.
Pretty damn please with this :) Select HD720 or 1080 for reasonable audio.

For anyone interested in the drum parts, here's a video of drums + bass & guide piano (not the final stems used). 2bpm faster than the original T4F song recording.

Last edited:
I have always liked this song. I love the groove of this song.
When I saw the title of this thread I was so worried that your band (or any band) would not do this song justice.
Well I am very pleased to say you surprised me. Very well done !!

I have always liked this song. I love the groove of this song.
When I saw the title of this thread I was so worried that your band (or any band) would not do this song justice.
Well I am very pleased to say you surprised me. Very well done !!
Thanks Jim.

It's obviously a very different arrangement & delivery to the original, but we tried to keep the overall signature vibe, each adding their own part interpretation as we went along. Really didn't fully know how it would turn out until the end.

As for the drum parts, I've used the (somewhat tiring to play) da da - da repeating programmed part from the original recording, as it has the most drive, but had to work through appropriate new parts in the sections that don't appear in the original.

Impressed. However I was not aware that Kenny Aronoff played bass.
Ha - you have a point!!!!

I've always played that with a shuffle feel on the hats. Your way looks easier and frees up the left hand a bit too. Hmmm...I dig it!

As always, top notch production and great sounding musicians all around!

That is a deceptively tricky groove. I might have to toy around with it
The only "tricky" bit is nailing the implied shuffle relationship between hats & bass drum - oh, and consistency.

I've always played that with a shuffle feel on the hats. Your way looks easier and frees up the left hand a bit too. Hmmm...I dig it!

As always, top notch production and great sounding musicians all around!

I actually find a shuffle hats feel allied to a simplified bass drum part easier to play compared to the part I've chosen here. More bass drum notes get's tiring after a while (at least for this old fart), and getting the dynamic consistent suffers, but it does drive the bottom end of the band well.

I chose this part specifically to fit with the vibe of our band's interpretation, but coincidentally, the main groove I'm using here is closer to the original than a traditional shuffle pattern.

Solid stuff, Andy. I've seen you workin on this one a few times... Nice payoff here!

The only "tricky" bit is nailing the implied shuffle relationship between hats & bass drum - oh, and consistency.

I actually find a shuffle hats feel allied to a simplified bass drum part easier to play compared to the part I've chosen here. More bass drum notes get's tiring after a while (at least for this old fart), and getting the dynamic consistent suffers, but it does drive the bottom end of the band well.

I chose this part specifically to fit with the vibe of our band's interpretation, but coincidentally, the main groove I'm using here is closer to the original than a traditional shuffle pattern.
I listened to the second video also and I'm playing the same BD parts along with the shuffle on hats. Not as audible in the full mixed version. I'm sure you're correct about it being easier played the way I do it, but I'm digging the extra air in the hats. :)

I listened to the second video also and I'm playing the same BD parts along with the shuffle on hats. Not as audible in the full mixed version. I'm sure you're correct about it being easier played the way I do it, but I'm digging the extra air in the hats. :)
I don't know about easier, just different, especially as you're playing the same bass drum pattern - most don't.

Of course, the original featured 1/4 note hats, but there's a shaker layered over the top, so many shuffle the hats to mimic that vibe. I'd probably do the same if we were doing a straight cover, but I think the heavier vibe of our version, particularly with our bass parts, benefits from a simplified top end, but with the bottom still driving all those notes.

Very nice. Love the relaxed feel of your drum part.

Solid stuff, Andy. I've seen you workin on this one a few times... Nice payoff here!
Yes, it's been hanging around for a while due to the obvious circumstances. Glad you liked it.

Great mix-everybody really ads a lot-which usually I'd be going on and on about singer but this time the musicians carry this song with it's unique flavor. The singer is great too but dang you guys burning this one up. I like simple take and accents on this Andy-seems it was lots busier when you were figuring part out in earlier post as I'm trying to recollect-especially kick?? Comes together nicely don't it-did it surprise you guys-I like when that happens-just comes together.

Great mix-everybody really ads a lot-which usually I'd be going on and on about singer but this time the musicians carry this song with it's unique flavor. The singer is great too but dang you guys burning this one up. I like simple take and accents on this Andy-seems it was lots busier when you were figuring part out in earlier post as I'm trying to recollect-especially kick?? Comes together nicely don't it-did it surprise you guys-I like when that happens-just comes together.
Thanks Art. I'm taking the fact you think the finished result has simplified drum parts as a huge compliment, because the drum parts are the same complexity earlier planned. If nothing is standing out then = job done :) The verse / chorus bass drum parts as as per original da da - da (not always played by many), it's only in the guitar solo, but especially the part starting 1:36 "there's a room" where my parts differ substantially from the original.

I'll always take the most simple supportive route to a song result, but as this version has a quite different arrangement & feel to the original, it did justify part changes in the drums. I'm really pleased that the "there's a room" section doesn't interrupt the song flow, as the original is just a continuation of the verse / chorus groove, & our take is quite carved up / accented by comparison.

Great job, that's how it's done. Great band!! When is you next live gig, you guys must be dying!?!
Thank you :) We still have a couple of autumn gigs scheduled, but expect them to cancel. All other festivals / events cancelled this year so far, so realistically, I can't see us playing live until next year. The only good aspect is that our 2021 calendar is already looking pretty full, mostly as a result of this year's cancelled bookings confirming us for next year.

I was never a fan of the song, but your band made me want to like it. Very smooth playing. Good job.

Back