Ever had a band you just couldn't like

Hmmm. There are Genres That don’t turn my crank. Never cared for Country music so that stands out.

Polka anyone? In the 50s my dad played in a band. I still have his Scandalli. Shudder

Polka anyone? In the 50s my dad played in a band. I still have his Scandalli. Shudder

I can dig it (sometimes). My grandparents loved them some polka. Lots of good, early memories with polka in the background.

Many of you are citing famous bands. I'm going to interpret the thread differently, and share why I once left a productive band.

It was a 4 piece. I liked the BL and bass player very much. But the female lead singer played the Diva thing to the max. No help with anything. Late to every gig. But worst - very, very, Very drunk every gig. After a while, that gets pretty old for me.

But the real reason I left what was otherwise a very productive, frequently gigging band - the BL always wanted to take the dive bar gigs, not the upscale ones. We'd get nice restaurants offering us to play once a month, every month, but instead, he would bring us to these really nasty dive bars that were unattractive, small, and there for one and only one purpose - for everyone to get very, very Drunk. Eventually, I decided I was too old for that nonsense.

It was a painful decision because it lead to me being offline gig-wise for quite a while. But it all passed.

I can dig it (sometimes). My grandparents loved them some polka. Lots of good, early memories with polka in the background.

Well, I’ve certainly enjoyed some aspects of Polka. Got early memories of Saturday music night till I was about 6 which usually included my dad playing his accordion as my brother and I twirled around till one or both of us fell down from dizziness and laughter. But as a consumer of commercial music, never.

Wait, did the Beatles ever put out an album of Polka classics? Just imagine songs like “Hey Deiter” and “Gertrude on the ground with beer steins”. . . Good times.

Has anyone ever listened to a band that had good music, but just couldn't like them because maybe they had a theme or belief that just made them revolting to you? An example for me would be Ghost, I like there songs but just couldn't find it in myself to like them because I was not very drawn to the whole satanic cult theme because I found it disturbing.

I've had the opposite problem a lot - really great guys that make TERRIBLE music.

My daughters even joke about - we'll be at someplace like Target and a guy from a local band will roll up and do that whole "We should book a show together!" thing - and I'm like..."Yea cool" and my kiddos are always like "You're never going to play with them are you?"

for me, it is:

The Beatles
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
The Rolling Stones
Bruce Springstein
Parliament Funkadelic (hides in advance of impending massive s**tstorm of hate )

no matter how hard I tried, I just could not find any magic in any of these bands...still can't.

There are quite a few more, but these are my "instinctive reactions" to this question

and as far as not liking the non-musical aspects of a group, but digging on the music itself, that would be all rap/hip-hop after 1988 except Public Enemy. I love PE on all levels, but the other stuff can go. And really, I just like the basic beat/feel that hip-hop uses, and not really anything else..

also funny that the OP does not like Ghost for the reasons he mentions, but has a Cradle of Filth avatar....I am cornfused

Last edited:
Looks like I'm up for a ban too........Prince!. Well you asked. I'm the funkiest soulful dude your ever gonna meet but I dunno his stuff all sounds like poorly written nursery rhymes to me and peeps compare him to Stevie Wonder, Philly Soul etc etc. I just do not get it......s'ok, I'll remember to switch out the light before I leave. Promise.

for me, it is:

The Beatles - never a huge fan, but grew to respect them later on.
The Doors - not a fan
The Grateful Dead - liked a few, but not much.
The Rolling Stones - again, grew to like some of their stuff later on.
Bruce Springstein - not a fan.
Parliament Funkadelic (hides in advance of impending massive s**tstorm of hate )

I would add in:
John Cougar Mellencamp
John Prine
Tom Petty

Although I've played their stuff a million times.

I get a little tired of people trying to show me I'm "wrong" for not liking the beatles. I dunno it just doesn't inspire me as it does others. I kinda like a few songs, but I cannot at all worship them as I see others doing.

They were right place, right time, right record company support.

Man, I thought I was the only person alive who didn't like CCR, VH, Queen, Prince, Springsteen, Petty, and some others mentioned here. I feel vindicated!

Maybe it’s me but......I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the meaning/idea of this thread ?

yeah... I think he was meaning 'ever been in a band you don't like..."

but most of the replies are to the other meaning, so why not let it mean both.

and I have never been in a band I don't like, but have been on some studio projects that were tough to get through

Back