Ever had a band you just couldn't like

Love Zep, CCR, The Beatles, Skynard, Mahavishnu and Hendrix.

Can live without Queen, The Who, Matthews, Morrisey, and a few others.

I don't like Van Halen or U2. U2 because, despite great melodies, not one musician in the group impresses me at all (Bono's voice is ok). And Van Halen because, despite great musicianship, their music doesn't do it for me (covers don't count).

I've never been put-off by image alone, as long as the music's there.

Who doesn't like The Stones?

Bonjovi, Nickleback - what are known as generic bands.

However, good bands have been driven into the ground - by playing the same hits over and over on the radio!

The Rolling Stones I appreciate everything they have done as a band but I've never been a fan of their music.

I may be a little confused here ?and I guess there’s a few ways to look at this . I read the question as ...... you used to like the music yet something ( not the music ) turns you off and is so off putting to you , you just can’t listen no matter how much you might have liked it or even Just somewhat enjoyed the songs . Or you still listen but it detracts from how much you enjoyed it . This I guess mostly happens after you find out things about the artist that you simply can’t stomach and after you’ve enjoyed their stuff for awhile . For me this list would contain a few bands or artists that I won’t list because it would open up the discussion to politics , other personal views and what have you that they eventually went very public with and pushed to no end and would reveal a bit about MY views on things which some on here would agree and some would not , and don’t wanna open that door , So yes there are some that because their politics or views or personality are so off putting that it detracts from me being able to enjoy the music . Your never gonna like everything about an artist ( personality , attitude, politics etc etc, and of course I don’t agree or like everything about the people I listen to, but for me there have been a couple that because I find them so off putting I can no longer listen to them . I may get flamed for this but I’m sure a few others feel the same and fortunately for me it’s only a handful of artists/bands that I don’t enjoy anymore . I see this mostly as an after the fact kinda thing . Its only like two or three for me , and even those I can suffer through lol ?. But there’s one that if it’s in my control to not listen or to turn it off I will . You think maybe I take some things too personally lol ??‍♂️?? . As I get older ( 53 yesterday) I seem to be more and more cutting toxic things, situations and people out of my life. Hope I’m not turning into the get off my lawn guy ?, but it seems by my long post........ I HAVE turned into the rambling old guy ?

Many great bands exist whose music just doesn't resonate with me. Tool, Muse, Springsteen, Mellencamp, Guns N Roses, Wilco...just off the top of my head.

Another for the Beatles. Could never get into anything they did.
The Greatful Dead, nothing there for me.
Dream Theater. I love heavy/progressive stuff all day long, but every song I hear by them seems like a chop-fest competition of who can cram the most notes into the bar. Technical for the sake of being technical and devoid of any feeling.
Metallica - Kill 'em All was 10/10, Ride the Lightning 8/10, everything else, just the most boring, over indulgent arrangements and 0 soul.
Any band that uses their music as their soapbox to preach their political agenda. If I wanted to hear about politics (I don't), I'll go to a political site. No better way to get me to write off a band even if I like their music.
Recently had a band that I really liked, got tickets & was waiting 4 months to see them but they pulled a BS move cancelling the show because they didn't think the PA was good enough. While there's plenty of valid reasons for shows not happening, that's not one of them. Haven't listened to them since.

Any band that uses their music as their soapbox to preach their political agenda. If I wanted to hear about politics (I don't), I'll go to a political site. No better way to get me to write off a band even if I like their music.

(y)

Cheap Trick. Seems their "legend " has grown far greater than their body of work would ever indicate in my view. I just don't get it.
- Oh, and The Beastie Boys? RNR Hall of Shame. Awful.

Rolf Harris has been a popular Aussie singer/entertainer since the 60’s, with lots of popular novelty songs and children’s songs. We have sung several of his songs at school.

Now he’s in prison for touching young girls all his life (he’s 80 y.o. now) so we’re obliged to skip his songs in our songbooks. (We still sing the Michael Jackson songs. Maybe they’ll get cut one day too.)

Queen. Whenever they pop up on the radio, the station gets changed at lightning speed.
The Beatles. Same as above.
Any metal. Again, see above.

Honestly though, I’m a prime candidate to be obsessed with Steely Dan as I am a music nerd in my mid-30s but they are terrible.

So what great revelations have we come away with from this thread?

Listen to what you like. Don’t listen to what you don’t like. Don’t worry about what others think either way.

:)

..the Michael Jackson songs. Maybe they’ll get cut one day too...

Never understood the hysterical adoration for that weirdo anyway..

Like, a few decent songs with his brothers, Off The Wall and Thriller are decent albums, and thats kinda that..

Everything after that is completely non relevant crap anyway or are there really still people who can listen to that awefully dated Bad production..?

Really, if there is 1 artist who got way too much attention during his life (and after), then he would be the one..

Anyway, for obvious reasons, i am pretty happy that i never bought an album from him..

Really, if there is 1 artist who got way too much attention during his life (and after), then he would be the one

This might be a geographic thing. MJ was always huge here.

Elvis. I have no issues with Elvis musically. His fans are ravenous though. Here in the US, he is way bigger than anyone even still. People are so obsessed with Elvis they turn their whole lives into shrines. I had a neighbor whose whole house was an Elvis museum, and even her dogs had Elvis names (EP and King).

Yes, Queen..

Would be silly to say that they only have bad songs, but in my opinion they are one of the ugliest sounding bands that ever existed on this planet..

Many people seem to think different about that though, which is ok..

Something about Queen's music always sounds like a Broadway musical about actual hard rock events.

Back