Evans Genera Dry Heads

classikdrummr

I Have a Tama Starclassic Walnut birch kit and the Drums are very lively. I have the stock Evans G2 heads on Batter and they Resonate so much. I have 2-4 Moongels on all Toms which helps tame the Resonance. I was considering switching to Evans Dry Genera heads to help with overtones and to get drier recordings/Miking.
Has anyone tried Genera on Walnut Birch Shells?
Do they calm the resonance and overtones/ Ringing? Do they keep the Warm Tone of the Drums? Do you need Moongels with them?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
As far as I know Genera Dry heads are intended for snare drums, and are only available in 12, 13, and 14" sizes.

You could try using a hot needle to make some DIY dry vented heads and see if that would get you the sound you are looking for.

Personally, I think if you are putting 2 - 4 Moongels on each drum, you just don't like the normal amount of sustain an acoustic drum has. I'm not sure there is a drumhead out there that will kill more sustain than using four Moongels.

classikdrummr

As far as I know Genera Dry heads are intended for snare drums, and are only available in 12, 13, and 14" sizes.

You could try using a hot needle to make some DIY dry vented heads and see if that would get you the sound you are looking for.

Personally, I think if you are putting 2 - 4 Moongels on each drum, you just don't like the normal amount of sustain an acoustic drum has. I'm not sure there is a drumhead out there that will kill more sustain than using four Moongels.
Thanks .. I didnt even know that.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I was considering switching to Evans Dry Genera heads ......
Dry Genera has a built on richie ring and vents. Genera head, no vents. And yeah ..... they're snare heads, so limited sizes.

For batter, maybe look at the Remo Powerstroke3. Those can be had in clear and coated, from 6" - 28" sizes. Same basic concept ..... a single ply head with a built on richie ring. Next step after that, would be Remo Pinstripes or Evans Hydraulics.

Another option might be keep the G2's batter, and try a Remo Controlled Sound (Black Dot) head reso.

classikdrummr

Dry Genera has a built on richie ring and vents. Genera head, no vents. And yeah ..... they're snare heads, so limited sizes.

For batter, maybe look at the Remo Powerstroke3. Those can be had in clear and coated, from 6" - 28" sizes. Same basic concept ..... a single ply head with a built on richie ring. Next step after that, would be Remo Pinstripes or Evans Hydraulics.

Another option might be keep the G2's batter, and try a Remo Controlled Sound (Black Dot) head reso.
That is a good idea ! thanks.

roncadillac

Thanks. Will try
Not to beat a dead horse but I'll agree with the above posts and also suggest hydraulic heads.

A little trick I learned that may help you when comparing heads: Pull the head out of its box and hold it by the hoop next to your ear (just the head itself not mounted on any drum) and give it a few taps with your finger. If you hear a loose papery 'fwap' then the head is going to ring out and your above mentioned sound preference will call for moongel and/or dampening but if you hear a deep 'thud' then the head will typically speak much shorter and should require little to no muffling to achieve your desired sound.

This method is what lead me to typically use hydraulics or calftones.

Last edited: