Engineering problem or problem with hoop?

Every other pedal, the hoop rests on a long, flat/slightly curved part that supports the curve of the hoop. This pedal puts the whole weight of the drum on those two little points on the pedal. There is no support. It's like taking a cake off the table and putting it on stilts. It's going to sag. Weight and gravity dont lose.

Every other pedal, the hoop rests on a long, flat/slightly curved part that supports the curve of the hoop. This pedal puts the whole weight of the drum on those two little points on the pedal. There is no support. It's like taking a cake off the table and putting it on stilts. It's going to sag. Weight and gravity dont lose.
True. This is the reason I’m now playing the Yamaha pedals. Debating selling the DW9000 because it’s brand new.

True. This is the reason I’m now playing the Yamaha pedals. Debating selling the DW9000 because it’s brand new.
I would. That is completely unacceptable. Are you going to contact DW? You have given them a good chunk of change not long ago, and their product A ruined their product B. If they truly care, I think they would rectify this so it doesnt keep happening.

No hoop protection?! Unacceptable and go after them (DW) for that unless that’s an additional cost, then your case is little steep.

My Pearl session came with one fastened to hoop, I also brought the blue aluminum one that they make, as I didn’t know they came with it.
As you can tell by price $4.99 it’s a small cost to avoid the damage especially on a set like that.
Notice the 2 little runner clamps on the bottom of blue piece, that covers the three points protected fastening you’re referring to.

AC622D5A-399D-4A45-99A1-866D33140341.jpeg5269AEE0-7ACB-4C1E-9040-2A2E4BD6377F.jpeg

Last edited:
Could be the use of smaller contact points. Makes sense that if it's smaller your having to apply more pressure in a concentrated area which theoretically could cause warpage. Cherry wood is a medium hard wood. Mahogany depends on which type it is. African mahogany is just a bit softer than cherry but Santos Mahogany is nearly 3 times harder than cherry. Both are softer than red oak. Still I don't think it's the wood, but rather the pedal pressure. You might try using a hoop protector.

No hoop protection?! Unacceptable and go after them (DW) for that unless that’s an additional cost, then your case is little steep.

My Pearl session came with one fastened to hoop, I also brought the blue aluminum one that they make, as I didn’t know they came with it.
As you can tell by price $4.99 it’s a small cost to avoid the damage especially on a set like that.
Notice the 2 little runner clamps on the bottom of blue piece, that covers the three points protected fastening you’re referring to.

View attachment 95655View attachment 95656
As I’ve stated before, how does a hoop protector work if you have one small point pushing down on a hoop that’s not supported underneath, while two small points push up on each side of the small point pushing down? I’ve had a Pearl Reference kit so I know how those metal pieces work - those would just bend along with the wood. With the pressure points being so small, I’m not sure how those would keep the wood from bending.

Dang, I had the newer 9000 DP and I didn’t have that happen, but now I’m glad I traded it in for the Tama 910 speed cobra.

As I’ve stated before, how does a hoop protector work if you have one small point pushing down on a hoop that’s not supported underneath, while two small points push up on each side of the small point pushing down? I’ve had a Pearl Reference kit so I know how those metal pieces work - those would just bend along with the wood. With the pressure points being so small, I’m not sure how those would keep the wood from bending.
Consensus so far has been saying hoop protection immediately glaring is the lack of one. Ok your saying a linear stress point was created or whatever... and new pedal technology hasn’t ‘caught up’ or measured that aspect yet.
If your saying you would ‘just bend along with the wood’ down on a metal clamp protector is indicative that you just over secured the pedal to the unprotected hoop on this kit.

Consensus so far has been saying hoop protection immediately glaring is the lack of one. Ok your saying a linear stress point was created or whatever... and new pedal technology hasn’t ‘caught up’ or measured that aspect yet.
If your saying you would ‘just bend along with the wood’ down on a metal clamp protector is indicative that you just over secured the pedal to the unprotected hoop on this kit.
Ok you win.

Hoop protectors are great for protecting the SURFACE of the hoop. Keeping scratches and scuffs away. But even the Pearl protector isn't going to protect against serious pressure on the STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY of the hoop itself.

I have a couple of those Pearl protectors. And it bends as easy an aluminum can.

I think some of you guys may be missing the point that Bo is trying to make? If the Pearl protector didn't bend under extreme pressure, fine.

Hoop protectors are great for protecting the SURFACE of the hoop. Keeping scratches and scuffs away. But even the Pearl protector isn't going to protect against serious pressure on the STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY of the hoop itself.

I have a couple of those Pearl protectors. And it bends as easy an aluminum can.

I think some of you guys may be missing the point that Bo is trying to make? If the Pearl protector didn't bend under extreme pressure, fine.
Why do you need serious pressure to clamp a bass drum pedal? Do some pedals or kicks tend to walk off altogether?

I understand what he is saying, it was the small pressure points from the clamp of the pedal.
He’s asking if it was due to pedal or shell design error, I think a slight folly, especially knowing how bass drum clamps can eat through/scuff hoops.

To be plain and dry with my opinion - again why would some one chomp down on an unprotected hoop who didn’t expect or care about some sort of damage done, in this case was warped.

As I stated initially I think he should still warrant under patient satisfaction and try to work it out with DW - good luck.

The manual states that the Tri-Pivot Toe Clamp is designed to fit a wide variety of bass drums but that you should use the rubber hoop protector to avoid damaging the hoop? Hence my initial response, I wasn’t trying to be an ass... (y)

@Dr_Watso lost some gear. Maybe he could use it. For a while. Before it destroys his hoop.

I'm not sure who called who an ass, but I certainly didn't say that in my post. And I did put a "?" at the end of my "missing the point" line--not an accusation.

Touchy touchy around here sometimes. wow

But to be sure, that Pearl protector will definitely flex EASILY.

I don't like my bass pedal to move. It's VERY EASY, to crank once too many. I'm sure there have been many who have done the same.

I'm not sure who called who an ass, but I certainly didn't say that in my post. And I did put a "?" at the end of my "missing the point" line--not an accusation.

Touchy touchy around here sometimes. wow

But to be sure, that Pearl protector will definitely flex EASILY.

I don't like my bass pedal to move. It's VERY EASY, to crank once too many. I'm sure there have been many who have done the same.
You misunderstand me, I haven’t got a beef? I was just trying to help? No one called me an ass and I’m not upset in the slightest? I don’t take things like this personally, it’s only drums...DW provide a rubber protector and recommend you use it? That was the point of my post? Apologies if you thought I was having a pop... (y) :)

If you replace the hoops send the warped DW to them and you might get a replacement. I would do it any way.

You misunderstand me, I haven’t got a beef? I was just trying to help? No one called me an ass and I’m not upset in the slightest? I don’t take things like this personally, it’s only drums...DW provide a rubber protector and recommend you use it? That was the point of my post? Apologies if you thought I was having a pop... (y) :)

;) No worries. Sometimes, it's simply hard to tell. I think Ransan was a little hot under the collar. It felt like Bo's point was being missed slightly. All good Al.

Back