eBay - why do I even try?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Long story short - Ordered a small rack on eBay. Over-paid for shipping, but it's cool b/c I got a good deal on it. Shipping is just 2 states away (6-hour drive one way).

I get a message from the seller stating that I have two options: 1.) Send him more money so he can buy a box to put it in to ship it, or 2.) He can attach the shipping label to the rack itself because it's meant to be used on the road and should arrive just fine.

My response: "I paid $XX amount for shipping assuming that it would arrive in a box. You can either find a box for it to go in to ship it, or just refund my money."

It arrives on Monday. I'm curious to see how it shipped.

For some reason, musicians on eBay selling musical gear turn out to be the biggest flakes ever. I used to sell and buy a bunch of stuff on eBay back in the day, and the only issues I've ever had was when dealing with music gear.

Hopefully it arrives in tact, in a box. If he just sticks a label on it, file a complaint and get your $$$ back. Ebay protects the buyer, right?

After you get your $$$ back, disassemble it, put the parts in a ziplock bag, inside the drum, with the heads Gorilla glued on. Stick the label to the shell and send it back COD.

For some reason, musicians on eBay selling musical gear turn out to be the biggest flakes ever. I used to sell and buy a bunch of stuff on eBay back in the day, and the only issues I've ever had was when dealing with music gear.

I would have instantly nope'd out, reported it to eBay, gotten a refund, and took a shower.

So much of my life is dealing with other people's BS that the thought of consenting to additional BS is almost unimaginable to me.

It's people in general, or a ratio there-of. eBay used to be "cleaner" of fools and flakes than say, CraigsList ..... but now all the fools and flakes are computer savvy ..... Reverb seems the best, now ..... but I've really only used it a few times, so maybe not. I go where I have to, to get what I need. Sometimes there's a little crow and annoyance that comes with it. That's life.:ROFLMAO:

I'd rather play Russian roulette with a circle of psychopaths than conduct commerce on eBay, Craigslist, or any other marketplace for loons. The first gamble seems a lot safer.

I haven’t used eBay in years. I did sell all my film equipment through them with great success. Shopping for used music gear I use Reverb or GC-used. When selling music gear I’ve used reverb with great success.

And I don’t care about the fees like some people. I just figure my price with fees and go from there.

I still use eBay and I concur that musicians are the worst (sorry). The way to counter a lot of the stupidity is to just take a breath and slow down. Then clearly communicate with the seller before plunking your $$$ down. I hardly buy things on eBay in the “I must have it NOW” mode and it’s always a red flag to me if I’m rushing it, or if the seller seems desperate. It’s just best to get everything cleared up before you hit the “pay” button. Silliness always seems to ensue when I’m dealing with a musician though ??

I hardly buy things on eBay in the “I must have it NOW” mode
I never did. I liked the excitement of the auction style, both for buying and selling.

I've been a buyer and seller on eBay for 20 years. Still, there are things I won't buy or sell on that platform. Great for smaller things, not so great for the bigger ones. Fountain pens? Awesome! 20in Ride cymbals or larger? No way.

Pete

I would have instantly nope'd out, reported it to eBay, gotten a refund, and took a shower.

So much of my life is dealing with other people's BS that the thought of consenting to additional BS is almost unimaginable to me.

Same thing here! ?

I sold an older design 800mm Schneider large format lens on eBay c.2005. New it went for ~$3500. I put it up for auction on eBay (worldwide except for Mexico, Africa and Thailand) at a starting bid of $99 in a 10-day auction. At first the price barely moved, but there were 103 watchers so I had hope.

By the end of the auction, it sold for $2800 to a guy in Romania. Most buyers would pay me within a day via PayPal, but this guy didn’t respond to my emails (sent through eBay). After four days of no response I tell him I’m gonna cancel his order and re-list it. Shortly after that, I get an email from him. He apologized and said I’d receive payment within a day or two. I was skeptical.

The next day a rusty, dented van pulls up to my studio. It has one of those large, magnetic stickers “Sky Couriers”. Never heard of them. He hands me a large envelope from Romania. Inside was 28 $100 bills in sequential serial numbers. Fresh, clean, crisp. Never used. I figured they were counterfeit but the bank tested all of them and they were the real deal.

I mail him the lens. Yup. USPS to Romania. Turns out that, depending on the country, it’s a very reliable method of international shipping (customs are easily handled, and internal delivery confirmation is possible). He received his lens within 8 days and was very happy. I was too.

I have used Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook Market place with total success except for two occasions. One guy kept calling to ask if a particular item was still for sale and the price. I told him yes, the price was still the same, and eventually blocked his number. One guy wanted a router for $1.00 and just didn't read the ad. Oher than that no real quacks. I'm either lucky or due.

Yeah that’s bs. You charge x amount for shipping and if shipping costs more, YOU pay the difference.

Yeah that’s bs. You charge x amount for shipping and if shipping costs more, YOU pay the difference.
I always packaged my item in the box, with the padding, weighed it, measured it, and entered that data into the shipping info. This always gave me the exact cost of the shipment, including international shipments. Easy-peasy.

I always packaged my item in the box, with the padding, weighed it, measured it, and entered that data into the shipping info. This always gave me the exact cost of the shipment, including international shipments. Easy-peasy.
YEP.

Back