DW9000 Double Set Up Problems...

weeman1973

Hi Guys,

New to the forum but not drumming and was hoping you can help me out with an issue on my DW9002 (Double Pedal).

I can't get the slave (Left) to be as smooth as the Master (Right) now matter how I adjust things and it's really starting to nark me now!

When the pedals are linked via the bar and in situ, if I pull back on both beaters by hand, the Master pedal bounces away as free as a bird for what seems for ever whereas the Slave goes up and down maybe twice and abruptly stops - obviously even worse if the angel of the pedal / bar is exaggerated.

Is there a way I can get the Slave to be as free flowing as the Master or is this a 'quirk' of double pedals?

Also I've seen videos of other doubles (Iron Cobra IIRC) in perfect sync when both beaters are pulled back and released - why can't I get this action on my DW?

There is play on the 9002 linkage unfortunately, but there is a solution.
Trick makes a retro fit linkage that fixes the issue found here;

Check out this comparison video

Is this a new pedal?
Generally the slave pedal on a double pedal will oscillate less then the main pedal due to the increased weight involved with the drive shaft, and friction/binding in the universal joints, but it sounds like there's something either wrong with your pedals, or with the way you are setting them up. Can you post pics or a video of how your pedals are set up?
I'm no expert on double pedals any more because I switched to two bass drums 25+ years ago due to the way the slave pedal feels.

Generally the slave pedal on a double pedal will oscillate less then the main pedal due to the increased weight involved with the drive shaft, and friction/binding in the universal joints

This, if the pedal is new. The spring for the slave is doing more work than the main. Tighten the spring a bit and see if it improves the oscillation of the slave.

There is play on the 9002 linkage unfortunately, but there is a solution.
Trick makes a retro fit linkage that fixes the issue

This, if the pedal is old. You can check the slop in the driveshafts u-joints by holding the cam on the slave side and moving the beater. If the beater has any play of more than 1/8 - 3/16", the shaft is toast and needs replacing. It isn't really noticable at slower speeds, but the faster you go the more the slop becomes evident. Heel-toe won't work with a worn driveshaft.

I have the same issue. I'm in the second camp. Gonna be getting the Trick unit hopefully within the month, as long as the house and cars behave themselves and don't break anything.

Thanks for the input guys - sounds like the driveshaft between the two pedals has seen better days. I’ll get some video up soon just to confirm.

Pedal is a few years old now so I guess wear is starting to show even though I do my best to keep it clean and lubricated.

The Trick shaft looks interested - not sure how accessible they are in the UK but might be worth the outlay

The Trick drive shaft arrived yesterday, just in time for practice and I have to say, it is a big improvement over the standard DW link bar.

One thing I am struggling with however is still getting the beaters to be balanced with each other. Even with the shaft off, the Slave beater (obviously on the Master pedal) isn't as smooth as the Master. Is there a way of solving this?

Back