DW Pedal Springs Breaking (Replacement?)

ConFagash

Hey everyone,

I’ve been having some bother with my DW5000 Turbo that I bought while on holiday in 2017. I hadn’t any bother playing it until about a year ago when the original spring broke. Since then, I’ve been buying replacement springs (DW’s own Sm020 springs) and they’ve been breaking every couple of months. They all break at the very bottom.
I usually play with max spring tension, beater angle as far from the head as possible and with weight on the beater (Very heavy footed, play in a loud rock band), but I’d like to think DW would make springs to accommodate their own pedal settings.

Has anyone any suggestions for very tight and durable springs that I could try instead?

Thanks!

I use the Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive bass pedal, but my opinion is that DW makes high-quality, durable pedals and hardware. It sounds as though your problem stems from a combination of adjustment and technique. Your springs are under a lot of stress at their highest tension. Furthermore, though this may seem counterintuitive, you have to work the pedal a lot harder at that setting, as you're forcing it to work against itself. That scenario is ideal for eventual malfunction.

Drop your spring tension a bit, and learn to gain power through a fluid, natural movement rather than through the application of brute force. Your playing will improve, and your sound will be more dynamic. Your equipment will thank you as well.

I've been playing over thirty years, and I've never broken a spring on a bass pedal.

Are you installing the spring correctly, tapered side up and not angled in the hole? Are you transporting the pedal loose with other hardware where the spring can be bent?

Can you show us a closeup picture of the spring at the exact point where it breaks? And another closeup of the pedal where the spring attaches to the adjuster. I'm wondering if the spring is rubbing on the frame and wearing through rather than simply snapping.

GeeDeeEmm

DW makes a heavy duty version of that spring. The part number is SP024. You can find it online or even in some stores, depending.

This might help out your cause. I say might because you are breaking it in a place that on this other spring, may not be "heavy duty", if that makes any sense.

If you want to try the heavy duty springs, I have a pair available.

Ease off on the spring tension, and amplify your drums. Wear hearing protection too while you're at it.

I have to agree. If pedal springs are breaking that frequently, it's hard to envision that a mechanical deficiency is the lone culprit, though I suppose it's possible.

I have to agree. If pedal springs are breaking that frequently, it's hard to envision that a mechanical deficiency is the lone culprit, though I suppose it's possible.
I agree, but if he likes it tight he needs to figure out how to do that. The heavy spring and a spare might do the trick.

Are you installing the spring correctly, tapered side up and not angled in the hole? Are you transporting the pedal loose with other hardware where the spring can be bent?

The spring is installed correctly, and sits in a hard case when I travel. Otherwise it stays on the kit.

Can you show us a closeup picture of the spring at the exact point where it breaks? And another closeup of the pedal where the spring attaches to the adjuster. I'm wondering if the spring is rubbing on the frame and wearing through rather than simply snapping.

GeeDeeEmm

I have this image that I’ve sent to a DW rep. The spring breaks at the bottom hook, off of the metal ‘anchor’ that keeps the spring in place

Attachments

• 1AB65187-B8E2-40AB-B665-395A3CEA4A1A.jpeg
    1AB65187-B8E2-40AB-B665-395A3CEA4A1A.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 14
The spring is installed correctly, and sits in a hard case when I travel. Otherwise it stays on the kit.
If the spring is in the hole of the tension adjustment at an angle it will wear and snap. If it is straight you may want to chamfer or countersink the hole so it's not rubbing a sharp edge. I don't have a DW pedal, but I do have a Collector's, so it may already be set up like that.
Hopefully DW will solve your issues. They're good about that.

The last time I broke a spring (sometime back in 1982) it broke at the same place. There's probably nothing wrong with the spring. It's just metal fatigue.
You tighten your spring as far as it will go, and set the beater back more than 45 degrees (probably closer to 80). With that setup, when the pedal is pressed down until the beater strikes the head, the spring will be stretched beyond its capabilities. No getting around it. You would need a spring made of higher (thicker) gauge steel, which in turn would probably require a pedal with custom parts.

I see your problem, you have the spring max'd out. I have your solution. HD springs along with a spare pair of regulars and 2 brand new bearings and clip thingy's. Your pedal appears to be old enough to need new bearings that will help the spring rotate on the rocker. Using HD springs will allow you to back off on the tension. They are at least twice the resistance of stock. Proved to be just too much for me. Brand new stuff here.

PM if you want a price.

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 3
If the spring is in the hole of the tension adjustment at an angle it will wear and snap. If it is straight you may want to chamfer or countersink the hole so it's not rubbing a sharp edge. I don't have a DW pedal, but I do have a Collector's, so it may already be set up like that.
Hopefully DW will solve your issues. They're good about that.
I must give chamfering the hole a go, it did feel like quite a steep angle.
The person I spoke to said they’re happy o send a handful of springs, which is a good start.

I agree, but if he likes it tight he needs to figure out how to do that. The heavy spring and a spare might do the trick.

Absolutely. If an adjustment will permit you to maintain a technique you find favorable, it's certainly worth exploring.

Back